Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How often do you use the Corkscrew?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Re: How often do you use the Corkscrew?
Reply #30 on: April 17, 2021, 05:05:09 AM
I have several of the mini screwdrivers that I move from SAK to SAK as needed.  One evening I decided to try one on the screw in my glasses, and discovered that without my glasses, I can barely see the screw, let alone the slot in it.  :rofl:  Reading your story made me think that the mini driver is only there so you can help others.

Man, I have days sometimes where my knife is only used to help others, and that's good enough for me! The mini SD's handy at work for cleaning out the small holes in some irrigation spitters.

Funny about your glasses! But also frustrating! I take it you're long-sighted? I'm terribly short-sighted. The only advantage is it gives me a super ability to see close up without my glasses on.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 05:11:03 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #33 on: April 17, 2021, 07:16:16 AM
With all the phillips screws out there, I really like having a phillips along. Now if they made a model with both a backside and an inline phillips, that would make me very happy.  :D
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

br Offline MaverickMCS

Reply #34 on: April 17, 2021, 08:14:36 AM
The corkscrew is a dedicated tool that usually comes useful when you least expect it, as when people go to a party or to a picnic and suddenly realise that they do not have a corkscrew to open ta bottle of wine they brought or were given.

I always find threads like this interesting, where you see a divide between regions, some having no use or need for the corkscrew and some wondering why the question is even being asked for such a tool used daily.

Not all wine containers will  have screw-tops or pull rings or be made of carton everywhere.

Same with bottle openers/cap lifters where many claim to have never needed one.

Finlay, the corkscrew is also a holder for the mini driver

Exactly. When I was choosing a Vic model to EDC many years ago, I settled on a Mechanic, but since it's impossible to find it in my country I downgraded to a Tinker. The tinker was still too expensive, so I went with a Spartan instead, at least until I could find a Mechanic. To me the phillips was much better than the corkscrew.

Not long after, I realized how much better the corkscrew was. From people that simply don't have one at home because they don't usually drink wine, to an outdoors barbecue or if a friend just moved and wanted to celebrate before unpacking, the corkscrew always comes to the rescue. And I don't wear glasses, but I've lent the small screwdriver more than a few times to people that does.

Most of the times that I need a phillips screwdriver I can find one nearby, or even improvise something.
-
On the bottle cap matter, I'm probably one of those persons that doesn't really need one, but it's nice to have. If I don't have one, I can always open using my teeth or a sharp right angle (windows, sinks, piece of slate...).   :D

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #35 on: April 17, 2021, 11:09:21 AM
Funny about your glasses! But also frustrating! I take it you're long-sighted? I'm terribly short-sighted. The only advantage is it gives me a super ability to see close up without my glasses on.

I didn't used to be, but I've reached the age where I need longer arms to hold the newspaper where I can read it.   :facepalm: :rofl: 

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 01:16:42 PM
Whippy I think did a test on the strength of the backside philips of SAKs a few years ago which may be of interest to many here. I had a quick look around but was not able to find it.....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 17, 2021, 03:10:28 PM
Well all I can say is, I've used the phillips quite a bit for its intended use, and I have never used the corkscrew for its intended use. Normally I am not even in the presence of people drinking alcohol, unless it's at a restaurant, in which case, the wait staff take care of it for those around me.

Because I have so many SAKs I have corkscrews all over the house, and the SwissChamp and Hunter carry them to work with me. But they only come in useful so far as secondary uses, which I could have used a different tool for.

The one parlor trick I thought was entertaining was pulling vienna sausages out of the can.....  ::)
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

br Offline MaverickMCS

Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 06:20:48 PM
Whippy I think did a test on the strength of the backside philips of SAKs a few years ago which may be of interest to many here. I had a quick look around but was not able to find it.....

Was it on this thread?
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,22526.0.html

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: April 17, 2021, 07:36:04 PM
 :cheers:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 07:50:50 PM
With all the phillips screws out there, I really like having a phillips along.

Most of the times that I need a phillips screwdriver I can find one nearby, or even improvise something.

I assume everyone is aware of this, but the end of the can opener is an excellent Philips screwdriver.  In my experience, the only scenario in which it has fallen short is not being able to reach deeply recessed Philips screws.

Offline SwissMix2020

Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 07:55:12 PM
Not often, but same for a lot of the tools on a typical 2-3 layer SAK.  But I can recall in the years of carrying one, Ive used nearly every tool at least once when in a pinch.

Only one Ive never found a use for...the toothpick.

The corkscrew has been useful untangling cordage and shoelaces.

:climber:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 17, 2021, 08:55:16 PM
Only one Ive never found a use for...the toothpick.

I've found it quite useful as a...toothpick.  As an alternative, you could always get a Firefly to put in the toothpick slot.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #43 on: April 17, 2021, 11:21:27 PM
I have several of the mini screwdrivers that I move from SAK to SAK as needed.  One evening I decided to try one on the screw in my glasses, and discovered that without my glasses, I can barely see the screw, let alone the slot in it.  :rofl:  Reading your story made me think that the mini driver is only there so you can help others.

Same issue here.  :facepalm: :D

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: April 18, 2021, 04:45:02 AM
With all the phillips screws out there, I really like having a phillips along. Now if they made a model with both a backside and an inline phillips, that would make me very happy.  :D

Agreed. My most used mod is that way (Marlboro Troubleshooter + in-line Phillips and Lite module).  It is also why I really like my new Workchamp. Two sizes of Phillips...plus the corkscrew. To my knowledge, you’d have to look to Wenger for smaller frame sizes with two phillips.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #45 on: April 18, 2021, 04:48:11 AM
 :iagree: Yes!!!  That's one of the great things about the mighty Workchamp!
Barry

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: April 18, 2021, 04:48:38 AM
Agreed. My most used mod is that way (Marlboro Troubleshooter + in-line Phillips and Lite module).  It is also why I really like my new Workchamp. Two sizes of Phillips...plus the corkscrew. To my knowledge, you’d have to look to Wenger for smaller frame sizes with two phillips.

I still really want a WorkChamp, but they're what Alaskans call, "spendy."

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #47 on: April 18, 2021, 12:27:44 PM
Never, to be honest. My primary Vic carry is a Fieldmaster because I find the Phillips more useful. But, I will admit to loving the look of the older CS with the decorative groove. Classy looking! I also like the idea of screwing the CS into a long branch and using the saw as an improvised pole saw, although I admittedly will probably only use this to see if it works lol.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: April 18, 2021, 11:20:43 PM
I still really want a WorkChamp, but they're what Alaskans call, "spendy."
I don’t disagree. It’s on the high side of knife prices for any of my ‘users’. I want to mod one too and it’s definitely on the high side for that.

:iagree: Yes!!!  That's one of the great things about the mighty Workchamp!
  :tu: Good advice to trust MTO members that know!

Sometimes, having two phillips is just better!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Hofy

Reply #49 on: April 19, 2021, 12:44:01 AM
Hmm, re-reading this I see that most people really like the corkscrew for holding the mini screwdriver.  Has anyone made a mini screwdriver to replace the toothpick or as the 3rd tool on the back scales that have the hidden 3rd tool channel?

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: April 19, 2021, 04:21:34 AM
Hmm, re-reading this I see that most people really like the corkscrew for holding the mini screwdriver.  Has anyone made a mini screwdriver to replace the toothpick or as the 3rd tool on the back scales that have the hidden 3rd tool channel?

Well you could do that....putting a sd down the scale hole of a SAK would only be possible without a handle on the SD, and even the small plastic handle on the current mini SD gives you enough leverage to turn screws. But a screwdriver shaft by itself, uh, well, better hope your screws aren't in too tight. But yeah it could be done.

Regarding the backside mini SD, yes there's one on the Ranger and SwissChamp....it's a little bigger size though....

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #51 on: April 19, 2021, 08:17:32 AM

MacGyver made one that stashed under the hook: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85289.msg2186826.html#msg2186826

I made one out of the tweezers: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85533.msg2161246.html#msg2161246

I haven't tried MacGyver's trick, but the tweezer ones work very well for glasses screws.

Edit: I forgot about Helvetica Bold's toothpick replacement here: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85532.msg2161230.html#msg2161230

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: April 21, 2021, 06:23:38 AM
How often?  Rarely, to be honest.

But thinking about critical needs, and having anything at all - when I have to choose between a Phillips that I would use twice a year, but can get the job done with the can opener anyway... vs. a Corkscrew that I'll use once a year (being modest) to open a cork outdoors somewhere, or repair my eyeglasses... I'll take the corkscrew.

I'll have more trouble out of an uncorked wine bottle or broken eyeglasses than I'll have from a loose screw... I think  :think:  It's a matter of how critical the fix is, and for me, the former would be more critical.

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Reply #53 on: April 21, 2021, 10:09:04 AM
Never. I only use it to keep the mini sd, which I use it rarely. Still I prefer to have the cs above the philips sd.
Regards
Andetto

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #54 on: April 21, 2021, 01:02:41 PM
Probably once every other day. I always carry two SAKs and make sure at least one has a CS. I rarely use it for corks, but I often use it for picking at things. Today I used it to draw out a wood plug in a counter sunk screw hole. I use  a Vic CS to pry the toothpick and tweezers from a Wenger. I often use the CS to remove dried wood glue from a clogged tip of a wood glue bottle. I wrap fishing line around it. Improvised uses seem endless.

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: April 21, 2021, 05:56:08 PM
Yep, eyeglass screwdriver is the only reason for me to like it
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%