Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maratac Lights?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Maratac Lights?
on: April 03, 2021, 09:04:26 PM
I see Maratac Lights on County Comm and see their pricetags.  :ahhh  Are they worth the extra $$? I'm used to paying $20 at most for a Maglite.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: Maratac Lights?
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 09:15:15 PM
What price/material/battery type we talking about?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Maratac Lights?
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 09:26:10 PM
Coming from someone who likes nice quality lights, but also has some cheaper lights, I am not a fan of Maratac lights. 

The build quality of the light itself is great.  My issue is that the light I owned had visual pwm (flickering) at lower levels that really bothered me.  It doesn’t bother some people but I could not get past it.  I’ve heard that they may have fixed it, but I haven’t bought a new one to see.

Depending on what you are looking for in a light there are a lot of quality lights out there at similar price points.  If you are looking for something specific, I may be able to point you towards something.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 11:02:02 PM
This one in particular caught my eye:

https://countycomm.com/collections/view-all-light-products/products/ra-18650-right-angle-flood-flashlight-by-maratac

I figured I could consolidate my collection down and this one could serve many purposes.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 11:29:24 PM

https://countycomm.com/collections/view-all-light-products/products/ra-18650-right-angle-flood-flashlight-by-maratac

I figured I could consolidate my collection down and this one could serve many purposes.

Eh, looks alright but tbh for $60 you could get the same form factor of light from a major company and get more features (and probably a better UI). For that money you could probably get battery included+magnetic charging base, which I guess is worth mentioning, if you don't have other 19650s you'll need to throw another $5-$10 on top for a good quality cell.

Maratac have some nice looking designs, but they've always seemed overpriced and overhyped for what they are.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 01:35:08 AM

I have not tried that one, so I can’t say how good the quality is or if the pwm is visible.

I do know that Fenix, Zebra light and Nitecore have similarly designed headlamps, which are about $10-20 but are well known reliable brands.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 01:45:11 AM
...$10-20 more...

Right? ;)

Joe, are you specifically looking for a 18650 headlamp?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 02:19:56 AM
Maratac does not make lights themselves,they have them made for them by real light makers as an OEM and then jack the price and put it in the Maratac Lineup.
This light looks like a Sofirn S-40 to me but with some custom specs for the batch for Maratac but to give you an idea the Maker sells the same light for 1/2 the CC price.

I would not get the CC version as it is a 6500 degree color temp light which is a deal breaker for me from the start but again for 1/2 the price they can come direct from Sofirn in warmer color options and with a battery included and I would rather get 2 for the same price every day.

As for the $20 Maglite being your norm,I understand completely and suggest that you try the Maglite Headlamp if you want a HL which every one who does mechanical work ever needs at least one of.
Oh wait,they dont make a Headlamp so you might want to check out some of the staple better grade lights out there and give one a try.

I rely on the Zebra Light for both Handheld and Headlamps and though they are more pricey than the Maratac for instance they offer a lot more customized levels and programmed options as well as different tint emitters to suit everyones preference which I find are features I am willing to pay more for and they also manage to squeeze more runtime out of a battery in every category than every other maker,truly in a league of their own really.
They are also dead on reliable or at least have been for me!

There are also good HL from all of the makers and I am sure if you spend a little time looking you can find one to try in whatever price range you want.

Good luck though finding one right now,it is sort of tough like almost everything is right now.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 08:33:32 PM
I went on the site for Sofirn Lights and found that exact one that County Comm sells as a Maratac for $21 plus shipping with only a few cosmetic differences.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 12:18:45 AM
Heck of a price difference.  You gonna get it?  If you are after a right angle light I have a Manker E02 thats not bad.  Coming from Maglight it'll be a step up.  The newer version looks pretty good. 

http://www.mankerlight.com/manker-e02-ii-ultra-compact-pocket-edc-flashlight/

I love my Zebralight tho its not a right angle light.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 01:21:30 AM
I'm not sure if I'd get it or not. I already have a right angle light made by Nebo/True Utility. I'd have to get rid of a couple lights before I dragged another one home.  :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 04:36:25 AM
Dont I know.  I did buy a light not long ago but it was not needed at all but when has that stopped me  :whistle:.  I have not looked at Maratac as I mostly stuck to Fenix, Olight, or Lumentop.  The Zebralight was stepping way out of my comfort zone and I am glad I did.  It did kinda ruin me for lights.  The multiple setting are wonderful and for me the UI is good.  I run a 14500 in mine for added oomph.  I had always wanted to get a right angle ZL but just never took the plunge.  I carried my ZL this evening as we went out for my partners 1st vaccination shot. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Maratac Lights?
Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 01:44:34 AM
So of course I ordered the Sofirn myself and it just showed up all shiny and fully charged!

I got the 4K temp tint and at first blush it seems way too warm for my usual taste but I will have to try it for work soon and see what it really looks like behind a dark rack or in an attic like I usually work from.

I paid $30 for the light and a 3000ma Sofirn labeled 18650,clip,head band and an 18350 tube too!
The light is simple to operate and seems well made and finished at a pretty high level,really nice for the price for sure!

It also arrived in less than 1 day with Amazon Prime!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 05:56:18 AM
I ended up getting one of these at Harbor Freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/310-lumen-headlamp-63921.html

Mrs. TJ gave the go-ahead for a HF trip.  :whistle:
Very impressive light for the amount I got it for on sale.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 01:52:23 PM
Well I got to use the Sofirn HL all day Yesterday in a basement behind a rack and it was great as I had hoped!

I ran it on the 2nd lowest setting all day long and aside from my evidently huge melon head being a poor fit for the headband as it is shipped I have no real complaints at all especially for the price.
I will probably just chop off the part that goes over the top of the head and I have never kept one of those on any other HL either they are just not heavy enough for it to be an issue at all.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 12:51:56 AM
I was considering the Sofirn light but the Harbor Freight light was too good of a deal to pass up.  :whistle:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 01:44:31 AM
I was considering the Sofirn light but the Harbor Freight light was too good of a deal to pass up.  :whistle:
I am betting We dont have the same idea about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD