Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge AL VS Charge tti

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Charge AL VS Charge tti
on: February 03, 2024, 11:30:30 PM
Hey guys. I currently have a super tool 300, charge Tti, swisstool and swisstool spirit. Yes, I like multitool. I’m looking at the aluminum charge as the tti s30v doesn’t hold up as I thought it would and it’s heavy, plus the pliers head with the cap crimper isn’t needed. Two questions…

Is the aluminum charge lighter in the hand than the tti, I know on paper it is.

Is there a sheath or other solution that can hold the charge, bits AND maybe an extension that’s quality?

I love my victorinox tools but the pliers on the leatherman I like a bit more and the blades on the leatherman hold an edge longer.
I like the toolset on the vics though.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Charge AL VS Charge tti
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 12:33:11 AM
As for the sheath, there is a leather one that came with the Charge if I am correct.  I have it and it holds the tool, bit card, and extender with one side loop extra.  I cannot recall if both bit cards will fit.  I'd imagine this sheath would last quite a while.   

I am also showing a Skinth M ( I believe thats the model ).  This is a well made sheath by one of our members.  It fits the tool, both cards would fit, the extender, and one side space still available.  This sheath should also last quite a while in my opinion.   

Weight wise I doubt you'd be able to a difference of a few ounces, but who knows.  As for S30V vs 154CM, I found both on my tools to be good.  Maybe you need to give the knife a sharpen to cut thru any potential damaged steel during processing?  Maybe a bad heat treat?  These are guesses not knowing what you are experiencing.     

* IMG_9958.jpg (Filesize: 72.82 KB)

* IMG_9957.jpg (Filesize: 77.59 KB)

* IMG_9959.jpg (Filesize: 97.52 KB)

* IMG_9961.jpg (Filesize: 53.26 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 12:34:16 AM
Skinth

* IMG_9963.jpg (Filesize: 89.5 KB)

* IMG_9965.jpg (Filesize: 81.76 KB)

* IMG_9966.jpg (Filesize: 57.35 KB)

* IMG_9964.jpg (Filesize: 71.95 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 01:50:43 PM
Although I have other models (ALX and G10), I can say that you do not need to worry about the cap crimpers if buying new, as they have been discontinued since 2022 (IIRC); the major differences now are the steel used for the plain edge blade (154cm for Al and S30V for TTi) and their scales; girthier and more sculpted on the TTi (but maybe more comfortable in hand) versus flatter and thinner on the Al. The Al comes with knurled Chicago screws for pivots while the TTi has Security Torx.
For sheaths that can carry the kit, the Premium 4.5" with side loops, or custom (like the Skinth mentioned by Aloha or from an Etsy retailer). If you were to find a good, used OE one like the one from Aloha, that would be a great match; again the 4.5".

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 10:06:30 PM
As for the sheath, there is a leather one that came with the Charge if I am correct.  I have it and it holds the tool, bit card, and extender with one side loop extra.  I cannot recall if both bit cards will fit.  I'd imagine this sheath would last quite a while.       

Love that wear and tear on the sheath.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 11:54:39 PM
I have a ton of both variations. The weight difference seems negligible. I tend to like the aluminum Charge models more though. To me they feel slightly better in the hand and I prefer the 154CM steel over S30V because it is easier to sharpen in the field. There honestly isn’t much difference though.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 08:35:29 PM
Welp… I ordered an arc  :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 08:53:51 PM
Makes perfect sense to us at MTO.  :woohoo: congrats.
Esse Quam Videri

Offline cnlson

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 06:27:36 PM
I like the al vs tti and I too like 154cm over s30v. Weight different is negligible. But the al feels better in the hand.
Good luck with the ARC. I'm not a fan of the free series. They seem wildly overpriced to me.

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 03:57:52 AM
I like the al vs tti and I too like 154cm over s30v. Weight different is negligible. But the al feels better in the hand.
Good luck with the ARC. I'm not a fan of the free series. They seem wildly overpriced to me.

The price is what held me off for so long. I’ve owned an original super tool, super tool 300, two waves, surge, charge tti, juice and this arc now and I have to say it’s nice! I also own two swisstools and two spirits. What I like about the Vic’s and dislike about the leatherman ks the dedicated Philips driver. The free series is nice in the sense that its fluid and easy to manipulate.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%