Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Free P4 pocket-clip on Rebar? 483

Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,145 Born to multitask.
Free P4 pocket-clip on Rebar?
« on: April 19, 2021, 01:45:45 AM »
Is there enough material to make a hole larger so that the clip would fit a Rebar? :think:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,699
Re: Free P4 pocket-clip on Rebar?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 02:53:13 AM »
I too have wondered about the plausibility of retrofitting these to other Leathermans.  :think:

Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 64,396
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 04:21:39 AM »
Only way to find oit might be to do it :shrug:

I don't have an extra clip laying around or else I might try to tap one and try it out :ahhh

Maybe someone has one and is willing :dunno: :D
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 04:51:48 AM »
No need to risk destroying one. Simply removing it from a Free and checking it against a Rebar screw. Or at least measuring the clip width? :think:
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »
I would think it would have to be attached to the side of the handle similar to the way it is with the Free series :think:

When the Bond comes out we might get a better idea on how that would work since it does seem to have the holes already there for the Free clip :salute:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,067 Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 11:57:35 AM »
I opened this thread because it said free and I misunderstood. :facepalm:

I wonder if the recessed design of the Rebar screws could cause problems.

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
Jr. Member Posts: 79
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 07:31:46 PM »
Fitted the new free (P2 & P4) pocket clip to a few different models.
Supertool, surge, wave to name a few. The P2/P4 pocket clip has a kick at the top to clear the pivot bolt so it can be fitted for deep carry as well on different models.
Just a case of drilling and tapping the handles for the clip screws.
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 52,628
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 08:09:00 PM »
Nice !   :like: :tu:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 02:31:01 AM »
 :iagree: Very cool :like:

What are the sizes you have to drill and tap, if you don't mind me asking :cheers:

Now they need to make them in BO and I will add them to a few tools :ahhh :gimme:
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »
Fitted the new free (P2 & P4) pocket clip to a few different models.
Supertool, surge, wave to name a few. The P2/P4 pocket clip has a kick at the top to clear the pivot bolt so it can be fitted for deep carry as well on different models.
Just a case of drilling and tapping the handles for the clip screws.

:like:
Does the pivot screw not fit the pocket clip screw holes? If the screw fits, no drilling and tapping would be required.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 12:31:35 PM »

What are the sizes you have to drill and tap, if you don't mind me asking :cheers:

Now they need to make them in BO and I will add them to a few tools :ahhh :gimme:

How deep do those little screws go in the Free P4? Is there enough meat on the Rebar or ST300 to actually drill and tap for them? I am quite surprised. :think:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:36:59 PM by ReamerPunch »

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 12:40:30 PM »
The fasteners are very short from what I can see on the T4 and P2 :salute: The Rebar handles seem to be a bit thinner though :think: guess Olives can keep us updated on how the mod performs and how it lasts :tu:
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 12:44:18 PM »
Maybe we could find tiny nuts for those tiny screws?
For the Rebar, we could drill the two holes near the 3" mark, to have the nuts in front of the plain edge blade. There is some clearance for them and the blade and pliers would not touch them.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 06:21:11 PM »

I ended up going with metric as it was easier for me to get the screws, taps, and bits for doing it.
Drilled the handle with a 1.5, then a 2.1mm carbide bit.
Tapped threads with a 2.5mm tap and have some 2.5mm stainless countersunk Allen head bolts- which I cut down in length.
2.5mm is the equivalent size to what Leatherman are using (3/32) and are a better fit and sit flusher as well.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 06:24:16 PM »
How deep do those little screws go in the Free P4? Is there enough meat on the Rebar or ST300 to actually drill and tap for them? I am quite surprised. :think:
Plenty of thickness for drilling and tapping. Only needs a little as it’s hardened steel. The free handles are about the same thickness, if not less than say the 300 or surge.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »
The fasteners are very short from what I can see on the T4 and P2 :salute: The Rebar handles seem to be a bit thinner though :think: guess Olives can keep us updated on how the mod performs and how it lasts :tu:

I had to cut the screws I bought online down, as the shortest I could get was 6mm in length.
I just clamped the screw in a mini Chuck and used a dremel cutoff wheel to cut them down, then finished them off with a needle file and some fine wet and dry paper.
Bit of blue locktite when fitted and they’re solid!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 06:52:52 PM »
As you can see from the pics, it only needs a couple of threads in the handle for the screws.
The last picture is a pic of the Leatherman screws(3/32) on the right and the metric(2.5mm) screws that I modified on the left. Only about 2mm in length.

I did have to mod the screws head’s on the ones I bought as they were slightly larger in diameter, but just copied the size/profile of the Leatherman ones and tweaked them so they sit flush.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 06:57:50 PM »
Very well done :like: Thanks for the pics  :tu: and also thanks for the sizes and how you accomplished it :salute: :like:
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 07:04:33 PM »
Very well done :like: Thanks for the pics  :tu: and also thanks for the sizes and how you accomplished it :salute: :like:

Not a problem👍

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD