Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thumbs down for Leatherman Warranty program

us Offline tommywp

Thumbs down for Leatherman Warranty program
on: September 03, 2021, 05:00:08 PM
Hey everyone. So I had the scissor spring break on a Squirt and sent it back to the warranty program for a voucher. It cost more to mail than I expected (want to say about $10, but don’t quote me) and I got a parking ticket while at the post office for an expired meter. So I was behind the eight ball from the start as the voucher was only for $25. This was all back in the spring, and today I finally got around to calling to see what the story was. Turns out they emailed me the voucher and it must have went to junk mail, but I didn’t know when they were going to reply back to me (or that it was going to be via email) and I don’t regularly monitor the junk mail folder. Asked if they could cancel and reissue the voucher but, interestingly, they said they are no longer issuing vouchers as part of the program. Asked if they could cancel the voucher and send a replacement and they said no. They offered a 40% off coupon, but I was kinda smurfed and (stupidly) said not to bother. I was expecting good things from the warranty program, and came away disappointed.  :-\

Thought y’all would be interested in the fact that vouchers are no longer being issued.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Thumbs down for Leatherman Warranty program
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 05:11:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I thought they'd be better at handling the situation, with you being in the States and awl...

:-\

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 05:32:14 PM
They offered a 40% off coupon, but I was kinda smurfed and (stupidly) said not to bother.

:facepalm: 40% off a Surge is...well, you know.  Thanks for the heads up. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 05:34:42 PM
I never used the voucher program and I am not surprised that is it no longer a thing but I am sorry to hear about your experience  :facepalm:

I would keep calling them because they should have mailed something instead of emailing it but I guess that is the world we live in today :oops:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 06:51:01 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but would someone please explain this voucher that y'all are talking about? I'm confused.  :think:

My only experience with the Leatherman warranty department involved a Squirt blade that my college roommate broke by prying with.  >:( I sent in the Squirt and Leatherman sent me a new one. I was a bit surprised that they did, since it was obvious from looking at the blade (what was left of it) that it had been abused until it failed.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 07:36:03 PM
hsherzfeld, They still made the squirt when you sent it back so they replaced it.  They can't just automatically send a replacement for a discontinued model.  They may offer an upgrade if there's a newer version, but the voucher or coupon would allow you to choose something else if there's no newer model.

tommywp, if they're no longer offering vouchers the coupon would have been your best option, but maybe the voucher they sent is still in the archives in your spam folder.  Have you looked for it?

us Offline tommywp

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 07:48:04 PM
I’ve checked my junk mail, it auto purges after a few months and the email is long gone. I’m not really in the market for any large tools, so even 40% off means I’m spending 60% more than I want/need. Plus I’m sure it expires within the year, or at least that’s what I’m telling myself.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 09:06:28 PM
hsherzfeld, They still made the squirt when you sent it back so they replaced it.  They can't just automatically send a replacement for a discontinued model.  They may offer an upgrade if there's a newer version, but the voucher or coupon would allow you to choose something else if there's no newer model.

tommywp, if they're no longer offering vouchers the coupon would have been your best option, but maybe the voucher they sent is still in the archives in your spam folder.  Have you looked for it?
I see what you're saying, but I'm still confused. The Squirt isn't discontinued.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline tommywp

Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 11:04:17 PM
I believe they used to offer the option of replacement or voucher for any tool that was being sent in for warranty, whether it was discontinued or not.

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 11:17:59 PM
I believe they used to offer the option of replacement or voucher for any tool that was being sent in for warranty, whether it was discontinued or not.
Oh, I see.
Man, that sucks.

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD