Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?
Reply #120 on: April 20, 2021, 11:43:22 PM
 :imws:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: April 21, 2021, 01:04:21 AM
Ok... Time for some advice from you wonderful people.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to go car camping... Glamping even.  Low impact.  I'm packing as if I'm staying in a hotel.

I've already packed several knives, and I need your help in narrowing it down to two. Or one, if that is at all possible.

- 5 inch folding hunter that I wish I got more use out of in the days when I'd lash together camp furniture and cooking tripods.
- the pioneer X that I've been using for most everything, and is in my pocket right now
- Skeletool
- Vic one handed Trekker

Anticipated uses - none.  Potential uses - everything.  Realistic uses - whittling pointed sticks

Other available tools - basically all kitchen tools. A hatchet. Well equipped IFAK.

As one would expect of me - I packed all four for my trip. 

I spent two days using the Pioneer X.  I used the awl more than anything else - everything from stripping bark to opening food containers. 
On day #3 I switched to the Trekker.  I used the saw to process wood for my stove, and the knife for food prep and random things, and I continued to use if for the 4th and final day

Unlike previous trips, where I can't decide what I like more... This time the Trekker was the clear winner  :woohoo:
It was fun to use, the saw is great, and the blade is easier to open than the Pioneer X.  It was fun (but maybe not smart) to use the blade for random things that I've been using the in-line awl for  :facepalm:
I know... I know... complete 180* flip to using the blade where other tools will do. 
I'd even considered carrying the Trekker every day - I know that won't do too well for me based on a recent 30-day challenge.  But the thought was entertained. 
For now, though, I think I'll be giving the Trekker the wheel when it comes to outdoor recreation. 
 :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #122 on: April 21, 2021, 03:38:54 AM
 :tu:

I never, ever take an axe for firewood (weight), but even if I did I would still want a saw for making things with a cleaner cut than an axe can give.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #123 on: April 21, 2021, 03:45:46 PM
Always nice to give each tool a spin to see which works best.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31