Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what tools are under rated?

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
what tools are under rated?
on: January 19, 2009, 02:21:51 AM
it seems to me leatherman, swiss tool, and sog get all the glory. I can under stand why with leatherman and the swiss tools. what tools doo you think are under rated?
bear jaws are nice and I think more useful than my gerbers. so these might be a little under rated but the tools I thing are totally under rated are:
tradesman shears, these shears cut paper to thick zip ties. my swiss siccors have notches from cutting zip ties and other stuff but the shears really hold up. the phillips driver sucks though.
schrade adjustable plier. this plier is the ultimate toll for construction and machine operators. the impliments are not as good as leatherman but the pliers have done a couple jobs that my other tolls can't. the pliers on most tools are too small for large objects.
visegrip toolbox. schrade made some vise grip tools and they were market under the schrade name primarily. one tool was marketed unter the vise grip name. this is the vise grip tool box. the others were named tough grip or something. anyhow, the vise grip tool box the largest plier opening of any locking plier multi tool. I have used doing some work on a friends house and at work. it is my favorite locking tool, even more than the crunch and kershaw.  all the tools above have spent time in my edc rotation and the shears and adjustable pliers are still in the edc rotation.
another tool I am just starting to use but like is the paul chen tool. I plan on using it a lot in the next couple weeks and will decide then if it is under rated.
what do you think?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: what tools are under rated?
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:38:32 AM
The Bear Jaws tools are definitely under appreciated, as is the Schrade/Visegrip Toolbox you mentioned. Maybe simply because not many folks have had an opportunity to own them?

Another series of tools that doesn't get much air time here is the stuff from SeberTech. (Now IDL Tools) The little M4 pliers tool with locking blades has a lot of great features. :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:40:08 AM
I think the Zilla and Guppie are underrated.  I like those tools and I think they are pretty handy as far as minimalist tools go.  I just got a Li'l Guppie and Zilla Jr, so I'll be trying them out and seeing if they are any better, because some folks find the Zilla too heavy/awkward.

Bear isn't so much underrated as unknown.  The folks at Bear don't do much to promote their tools, apparently preferring to sell them to the promo markets.  I get more calls and emails asking about the Crescent Toolzall Pro than I ever did about Bear, even though Bear makes the thing.

I also think the Crunch is pretty underrated.  It's a really handy tool, with all your basic needs and a set of locking pliers that come in really handy sometimes.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 08:05:44 AM
Believe it or not - Your regular Swiss Army Knife seems undervalued  :climber:

A lot of people refer to something useful as the "swiss army knife" of it's field - but despite it being a household name for VERY USEFUL not many people actually carry one  ???

and even amongst multis they seem to be passed over for them big shiny plier tools.

I find a use for my Kick every day, but I use the heck out a SAK too.

Fess up,

how many of you blokes are NOT Swiss carriers?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:47:46 AM
Def comes with the point That I agree with. It does not have to be a small company to be underrated for a tool.

And yes the crunch is certainly one of those. I would certainly give up my Mini for my crunch, and I find the Mini to be underrated. I love the smaller tool with the big features. However the crunch has something the company did right, Locking pliers. I love the crunch and it is perfect for a bunch of stuff. 
S

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:13:21 AM
I don't want to get hung up on one tool - but I can't love the Crunch.

I don't know what it is. The tool selection is not any sparser than the kick's, which is now my EDC.

I love vice grips...

but I don't feel much for the Crunch.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:15:35 AM
Well that is like me with the OHT I dont like the serrations. Does not mean it dont work, but it dont just sing.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 03:17:16 PM
If anything I would say the Crunch is OVER rated. Almost everyone who handles it is impressed with the clever engineering, and talks about how great it is, but how many foks actually carry one?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:20:42 PM
If anything I would say the Crunch is OVER rated. Almost everyone who handles it is impressed with the clever engineering, and talks about how great it is, but how many foks actually carry one?

I carry one sometimes at work.  I use it to clamp down fluid lines by putting a piece of rubber around the line so I don't damage it when I squeeze the line.  I've also used it a few times to remove some stripped bolts and hold on to stuff that I'm grinding.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 03:29:36 PM

A lot of people refer to something useful as the "swiss army knife" of it's field - but despite it being a household name for VERY USEFUL not many people actually carry one  ???

and even amongst multis they seem to be passed over for them big shiny plier tools.

Fess up,

I'm with Nomad on this one... Well put dude.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 03:48:30 PM

I didn't carry mine for the longest time, but in the last few months it has become part of my EDC rotation.  It often lives in my Pock-Its XL for when I go to work.  I find it's actually pretty handy.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 05:41:02 PM
I don't edc the crunch because I edc a vise grip.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 06:00:01 PM
I have yet to get a Crunch, it will have to be something I pick up this year.

I do agree with the Guppie and the Zilla be under rated. I totally support ID Works and thier efforts and think that everyone should give these little wonders a try.

Offline Biru

Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 06:26:08 PM
Without doubt the Bear/Crescent items must be the great unknowns of the multitool world. The Schrade stuff would also be up there, too.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 07:03:17 PM

Fess up,

Very good point mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:09 PM
Juice CS4 - copes with a lot of jobs as well as a larger tool would. Also agree with Nomad about SAKs.
Prone to daydreaming.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 12:32:58 AM
the cs4 and xe6 are my favorite juice models.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 01:53:15 AM
The SURGE is extremely underrated! It can do more than any MT! Despite a few unrefined edges and some uneven bolsters it is an excellent tool!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 01:56:50 AM
The SURGE is extremely underrated! It can do more than any MT! Despite a few unrefined edges and some uneven bolsters it is an excellent tool!

I wouldn't say the Surge is underated, it is one of the most popular here and is certainly mentioned more than most (thanks to you  :D).
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 01:58:44 AM
I got all happy when I read that LOL! I suppose your right.. It's only underrated by the members in the UK!  :D
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 01:59:27 AM
I got all happy when I read that LOL! I suppose your right.. It's only underrated by the members in the UK!  :D

We're just clued up over here.  ;) :D
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 02:13:56 AM
I think a lot of "old" multis that have inside opening tools are overlooked too much.  I must agree that outside opening and especially the one handed Leatherman blades are amazing though.

Someone brought up Bear and Sons (or Crecent Toolzall Tools)...I recently bought two from a member here and they are fine tools that certainly woulden't be overlooked if there were more out there.  The two examples I own are really sturdy American made tools comparable to Leatherman IMO.  The tools are a total pain to deply though; if Bear were ever to promote their tools to any extent that would have to be remedied.
[

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 04:20:35 PM
I like the Bear line of multis as well as the Sebertech line :tu: they are underrated mainly because you can't get them anywhere ::) :D

Nomad has a point about SAKs as well ::) I never carried one till this past  year but now that I do I usually carry 2 or 3 at a time in fact besides my Super Tool and Squirt I carry a Alox Classic, Mini Champ and a Hiker  :tu: They are just so useful for the price :D

I also agree that CRKT multis are underrated of course they are also harder to find as well (I believe I am noticing a trend ::) ) I carry a Lil Guppie with me everyday and I find it ever the useful little multi :tu: It is so small I forget about it though ::) I even forgot to put it in the above list :ahhh

All in all most of these underrated tools are just to hard to find unless you order it and the average ppl are not gonna order it :-\

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 04:23:28 PM

Fess up,

and Wenger more so than Vic. Wenger makes some superb knives, showing a lot of ingenuity in their design and quality equal to Vic's.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 04:47:00 PM
I'd agree with the Wenger comments.  Very nice tools and often considered the redheaded stepchild of the Vics. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 07:03:11 PM
I'd agree with the Wenger comments.  Very nice tools and often considered the redheaded stepchild of the Vics. 

+1 on that comment as well

I only have one Wenger but it is always my intent on getting more but I never seem to get one when I have the opportunity :-\

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 09:33:18 PM
and Wenger more so than Vic. Wenger makes some superb knives, showing a lot of ingenuity in their design and quality equal to Vic's.

That's hogwash.

I demand you remove my quote from your post,

I will not be associated with that sort of propaganda!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 09:41:04 PM
I think the anti-Wenger tide has finally started to turn just a bit though. The NewRangers in particular seem to making a few converts...  :tu:
[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 10:06:40 PM

That's hogwash.

I demand you remove my quote from your post,

I will not be associated with that sort of propaganda!

Unfortunately I can't modify the post, and if you really want to a mod can remove your quote from my post zzz.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 10:11:36 PM
Nomad is as sarcastic as they come.  I'm sure he is only joking.  ;)
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD