Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Am I the only one who wants a simple SAK with tools I'd actually use?

Offline The Hatt

Wanting to buy a new EDC pocket knife. I have a few simple requirements, but unless I'm being thick, I can't see anything on the market (Vitroianox or other) that is able to fulfil the brief.

1. Slim & lightweight (1.75" - 2.75" blade)
2. Knife blade
3. Bottle opener
4. Scissors
5. Tweezers (optional)

Over the years I have found having scissors to actually be very helpful and handy. But it seems getting them with a bottle opener forces you to have a bigger, heavier & bulky SAK :(

I've just ordered a Victorianox Bantum, which does all of the above, but without the scissors. It seems the smallest offering with scissors is the Compact. But this adds the corkscrew and completely pointless hook. Which both serve to making it heavier, fatter and more bulky,. I don't want something that big in my jeans pocket.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Hmm only thing Voyageur is missing is scale tools otherwise seems like your tool

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Voyageur

Edit: it seems model 232ka has scale tools but i think this isnt easiest to find

Only Tools Matters

Offline The Hatt

Thanks. Yes they would be ideal. Hadn't heard of the 232ka before, although I can't even get Google to return an image of one, so I'm guessing being able to buy one is unlikely.

The Voyageur seems rare too, only one on ebay and way too much money for me to consider as an EDC...

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
From the Delemont range (ie originally a Wenger design) the Evo14  or 16 might suit your needs well, they sometimes come up a bit cheaper on Amazon, really like mine

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Delémont+Evolution+14+and+16

:cheers:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Nope! I hate having all extra tools I’ll never use,, I’ll never use a corkscrew, the magnify glass, I mean sometimes when you get a splinter, but other then that never, the hook ahh, we do do a lot of shopping but I’ve never used it, but only on two models it does have a file which I’d need, that and two blades, why? So a,
Blade,
Scissors,
Saw,
The screwdriver/openers set
Nail file and a
Philips
So i actually had one made, but then after a while I actually made one myself, yeah it has two Phillips and a carabiner, which I thought was cool, but no tools I’d never use!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
I find the Compact just disappears into my pocket  ..... especially in jeans  I carried one every day for a couple of years

The 'completely pointless hook' barely takes any extra space .......  for example compared to a full back spring and probably adds only a few grams to the SAK  ..... big problem?     ???     :think:   
And like all SAK tools you'll surprised at the uses you find for them
I have a post coming u on some surprising (for me at least) uses i recently found for the hook!

Anyway if you dont like the corkscrew why not try a Super Tinker  I also find three layers is pretty good in jeans pockets

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
I think if they took the “compact” and switched out the corkscrew for a Phillips, and added a saw it would make like the perfect “thin” sak!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline The Hatt

I find the Compact just disappears into my pocket  ..... especially in jeans  I carried one every day for a couple of years

The 'completely pointless hook' barely takes any extra space .......  for example compared to a full back spring and probably adds only a few grams to the SAK  ..... big problem?     ???     :think:   
And like all SAK tools you'll surprised at the uses you find for them
I have a post coming u on some surprising (for me at least) uses i recently found for the hook!

Anyway if you dont like the corkscrew why not try a Super Tinker  I also find three layers is pretty good in jeans pockets
I'm tempted to buy a Compact. But if I'm honest, I know it'll be a little bulky in the pocket for what I'm after. So I expect I'd only use it infrequently.

I normally carry a single bladed penknife as my EDC. Used for cutting boxes, bags and general stuff around the farm. However I have found that scissors are actually handy far more often than you may think and will often do a better job than a single blade does. And during lockdown (in the UK) with the pubs shut. I've had far more use of a bottle opener, to the point I've been looking for a nice one to fit on a keychain, but thought one on a knife would actually make more sense.

However for EDC use I'd never in a Month of Sundays ever want a corkscrew or a saw or an awl or a tin opener or a hook. They just add weight and size for no return.

I don't mind having a knife/multitool with these on, to either chuck in a bag or in a vehicle. But they aren't the sort of thing I want in my jeans pocket.

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer

You could always have something modded to your specifications.
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
(Image removed from quote.)

:ahhh :drool: :ahhh :drool: :ahhh :like:
They don't like it up 'em!

it Offline SirVicaLot

How about this one?

Böker Mini Tech Tool. Does not have tweezers, but you said they are optional.

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
 :like:
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

us Offline Sos24

It is a shame the 84mm Voyageur is no longer made because, I also think it would be an awesome little SAK to have.

A mod or custom is probably the best way to go to get the desired toolset.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
If you’re not up for the cost or whatever to get an 84mm or 91mm that meets all your requirements, I’d suggest considering the compromise in blade size and get a 58mm. Rambler, Manager, Midnight Manager.

A custom 91mm mod sans hook shouldn’t cost much if you ask around. I’d expect to pay quite a bit more for an 84mm with the same specs.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
How about the Executive  Still current .... We think  ..... Although some rumours
Very, very  slim and compact  ...... much more than the Compact     ;)   ... and a useful tool set
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Executive+74mm

And an OPT on the key chain for the BO
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:59:06 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline DansGearAddiction

I primarily carry the Cadet and Pioneer for this very reason. I use all the tools on those models except the can opener (although I do use the small flat head on them with some frequency).

The only thing I ever find myself missing are the tweezers and pin. I realize I could carry a Tinker, but I just greatly prefer Alox.

In specialized occasions, I'll carry a different tool like CyberTool or Fieldmaster, however, the Cadet and Pioneer handle 99% of my multi-tool tasks.
Desperately searching for a 2015 Alox Classic!

us Offline boatman422

If you’re not up for the cost or whatever to get an 84mm or 91mm that meets all your requirements, I’d suggest considering the compromise in blade size and get a 58mm. Rambler, Manager, Midnight Manager.

A custom 91mm mod sans hook shouldn’t cost much if you ask around. I’d expect to pay quite a bit more for an 84mm with the same specs.

Was going to suggest this as well. If a larger blade is important, carry a Pocket Pal or equivalent. The alox Popular makes for a slim, lightweight carry.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
I'm tempted to buy a Compact. But if I'm honest, I know it'll be a little bulky in the pocket for what I'm after. So I expect I'd only use it infrequently.

If this is the case ...... and you want scissors and a blade  Then you are definitely down to a 75mm or 58mm if you want a Vic
 ..... The Wenger 85mms are obviously smaller than the classic 91mm Vics but not sure if there is a slim one with only blade and scissors
There are also the Wenger 65mms

As a few people said above  The Manager sounds like it meets all your needs

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Dang it, now I have to go look at the Böker Mini Tech Tool and its Ruike equivalent!  Never even heard of the latter.

And I'll cast another vote for modding a Cadet to be the perfect SAK for you.  :)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
I think most of the good options have already been mentioned in this thread, i.e.
  • Compact - Most would consider this two-layer 91mm knife a fairly slim and, well, compact solution to your requirements.
  • Rambler - Checks almost all the boxes in a package that is less than half the weight of the Compact.  It's a slightly smaller blade than you're looking for, though, measuring just under 1.5" from tip to handle.
  • Custom - Get everything you want and nothing you don't.  The downsides are that it will most certainly be the most expensive option, and most difficult to replace if lost or broken.

One SAK I don't think was mentioned was the Jetsetter.  Get your bottle opener, scissors, and tweezers in one ultra small single layer 58mm package.  Add any single blade folder of your choice and you're good to go!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
I'll echo some earlier sentiments and then make my own wishes.

Suggestions:

• Compact -- simple toolset that meets your needs perfectly. Easy to carry. I like the hook.
• Compacter -- a custom Alox. Mine is with scissors, blade, and in-line awl. No tweezers. Brilliant knife, if I say so myself. You could ditch the awl in favor of a combo tool.
• Ambassador -- 74mm Vic with blade and scissors and tweezers. No cap lifter, but a thirsty and determined fella could use the nail tool to break into a bottle of suds. Ask me how I know....  :whistle:
• Vic Rambler paired with your pen knife. Not awl you might want, but you'd have your pen knife, a nice small blade, and some scissors. Rambler has a small cap lifter, too. These small knives are pretty darned handy. Do a 30-day Minimal challenge with one and you'll find that out!  :tu:

For quite a few years my EDC was an Alox Rambler and folding pocket knife of some kind. Super combo.

Here's my wish: I'd like to see a Cadet X. I love the Cadet, great SAK. A SAK so good it could only be improved by adding...scissors....

Here's my other wish: Alox Compact.  I think this could be a really sweet, thin, carry knife with a handy toolset. I can't believe this hasn't been made already. Vic....hello?....hello?

us Offline Sos24

Here's my wish: I'd like to see a Cadet X. I love the Cadet, great SAK. A SAK so good it could only be improved by adding...scissors....

Here's my other wish: Alox Compact.  I think this could be a really sweet, thin, carry knife with a handy toolset. I can't believe this hasn't been made already. Vic....hello?....hello?

What about just bring back the Voyageur - 84mm alox with combo tool, blade and scissors?

us Offline Sos24

I have the Ruike version of this. I really like it.
I have the Ruike carbon fiber.  It is fatter than the Executive, but the blade is more substanial and it has a bottle opener.

Offline SwissMix2020

What about just bring back the Voyageur - 84mm alox with combo tool, blade and scissors?

Wow.  I’m liking that minimalist design!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
I have the Ruike carbon fiber.  It is fatter than the Executive, but the blade is more substanial and it has a bottle opener.
Mine's the G10. The bottle opener / cord cutter / screwdriver / prybar is handy.

The scissors are better than I expected, too. Reviews (written mostly about the Boker version) were all over the map.

Offline The Hatt

Thanks. That looks fab :D

Any advice on where to get started modding? As in where to buy the bits I'd need or what to start with.

Offline The Hatt

How about this one?

Böker Mini Tech Tool. Does not have tweezers, but you said they are optional.
Thanks, on my list to buy come payday.

Offline The Hatt

How about the Executive  Still current .... We think  ..... Although some rumours
Very, very  slim and compact  ...... much more than the Compact     ;)   ... and a useful tool set
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Executive+74mm

And an OPT on the key chain for the BO
Sadly this size doesn't seem to be offered with a bottle opener that I can see. :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%