Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Am I the only one who wants a simple SAK with tools I'd actually use? 982

No Life Club Posts: 2,191
Newbie Posts: 7
Re: Am I the only one who wants a simple SAK with tools I'd actually use?
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 09:53:54 AM »
I’d suggest considering the compromise in blade size and get a 58mm. Rambler, Manager, Midnight Manager.
I have considered these, although I have other 58mm ones. While on paper the specs look right, the reality is, the blade is just a bit too small for my use. Not just the length, but more the depth of it. Some of the stuff I cut is quite tough and you need something a bit more chunky.

A shame Vic doesn't offer this style in a larger size using the blade from the 84mm series. It seems once you upsize you loose the ability to have implements on both sides of the handle in this fashion.  ???
Hero Member Posts: 825 Improvisational Engineer
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 03:07:44 PM »
Thanks. That looks fab :D

Any advice on where to get started modding? As in where to buy the bits I'd need or what to start with.
I buy my mods. The one pictured is from Beaver Bladeworks.

-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,128

Nix us

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 03:11:18 PM »
What about just bring back the Voyageur - 84mm alox with combo tool, blade and scissors?

(Image removed from quote.)

:like:

heterodox, not in the box
No Life Club Posts: 2,317
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 06:48:41 PM »
I have considered these, although I have other 58mm ones. While on paper the specs look right, the reality is, the blade is just a bit too small for my use. Not just the length, but more the depth of it. Some of the stuff I cut is quite tough and you need something a bit more chunky.
Understood completely. Size of the blade and lack of handle length too for me. My 58mm users are essentially keychain backups. So I never leave the house without something.

A shame Vic doesn't offer this style in a larger size using the blade from the 84mm series. It seems once you upsize you loose the ability to have implements on both sides of the handle in this fashion.  ???
Yeah, I think it’s because the two sided design is essentially limited to long and skinny tools as you lengthen it. 74mm tools have that issue too and wouldn’t be ‘beefy’ enough if lengthened to 84mm+. If the 74mm blades are big enough for you, the orange peeler could probably be modded to open bottles near its base.  :dunno:

There is another sub forum for modding which has several how-to write ups. I’m thinking the 84mm frame suits your requirements better since you want to avoid extra/backside tools. 91mm knives are a bit more challenging to build (find parts like both ‘blank’ scales) that won’t include either a corkscrew or Phillips. Just anything with 84mm scissors is usually expensive.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD
25%