Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Important News : New & Discontinued Limited Editions (Victorinox) 1279

Hero Member Posts: 625 Guillaume
Important News : New & Discontinued Limited Editions (Victorinox)
« on: April 20, 2021, 09:30:41 AM »
I wanted to share information I got from a Victorinox Store in Switzerland :

Discontinuation :

Classics LE will apparently be discontinued : this year was the last time.
Swiss Spirit Special Edition will be discontinued as well : this year was the last time.
Victorinox is talking about discontinuing the Cadet...

Other news :

The Damast of this year should be a Swiss Champ with Carbon Scales.
It's just a rumour but the Damast series should be the last one as well (Discontinued).

Mid May there will be a new series out : 30 classics with different colours (10 Alox among them).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:50:12 AM by guibur »

My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg
No Life Club Posts: 2,191
Re: Important News : New & Discontinued Limited Editions (Victorinox)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:32:01 AM »
The Damast?  :pok: :pok:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »
I meant to add any pics!  :facepalm:
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 09:35:43 AM »
Sorry I don't know where I typed but it posted the thread whereas I had not finished typing...  :facepalm:

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »
Also with the new 30 coloured classics with 10 Alox it doesn't seem good for the Classic model in Alox Limited Eidtion...  :dunno:
Although this series is mainly to test the market.

No Life Club Posts: 2,304
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 09:44:06 AM »
The cadet noooooo :ahhh
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 09:50:47 AM »
Thanks for the info, guibur - the Damast bread knife has just appeared on the Victorinox UK site, but at £549 it’s too rich for me - makes Miyabi look like a bargain!
No Life Club Posts: 1,980 aloxoholic
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 07:46:09 PM »
Thanks guibur for sharing the informations here!  :tu:

I hope that the 84mm Alox will be preserved. The demand for smaller knives is increasing in many places, for legal reasons or because minimalism is trendy right now.
I still hope that the 84mm scissors will come back.

A champ would be a worthy end to the damascus series. It's a shame if it really ends, but maybe something new will come.
For example black oxide annual knifes ... with a Cadet X for 2022 ...   :dd:

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)
Full Member Posts: 139
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 07:32:59 PM »
Why would they stop production of the cadet?
I believe it's a popular model?

Sendt fra min moto g(8) power med Tapatalk

victorinox is addictive
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 07:52:08 PM »
I don't have the answer, but the info I got is that the discontinuation of the Cadet is planned...
Don't know what it means  :dunno:

No Life Club Posts: 1,124 The Spirit of Central Asia
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 08:43:05 PM »
I don't have the answer, but the info I got is that the discontinuation of the Cadet is planned...
Don't know what it means  :dunno:

It gets a promotion and returns als Captain Switzerland.
Hero Member Posts: 794

EMZ nl

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 10:26:48 PM »
Last January I ordered two 2021 Special Edition Knives, the Pioneer X and the Hunter Pro, at a German web shop.
Last week they were delivered. It took the shop so long because all the knife boxes were damaged when they arrived from Victorinox. The dealer had to order new boxes and that delivery took a very long time, also because of problems at Victorinox caused by Covid-19.
I think Victorinox tries to cut down on costs, because these presentation boxes are really flimsy. They crumble down at the weight of the knives! Luckily the web shop sent me the knives packed seperate from the boxes, so the flimsy carton boxes arrived undamaged.
To me it is the writing on the wall, that Victorinox has (financial) problems and has to cut down seriously on costs. Hopefully I am wrong.
Newbie Posts: 34
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »
They will survive, they just may have to make some very tough decisions.

On a positive note Im excited to hear of 10 new Alox classics in various colors!  It would be a nice way to support them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:27:53 AM by SwissMix2020 »
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,973 \o/
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 09:52:46 AM »
So now we think a 100+ year old company is having financial problems based on a few flimsy boxes? I'm not ruling anything out but this seems to me like a premature conclusion.

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2021, 10:15:10 AM »
I tend to agree with Reinier - my PX 2021 came direct from Victorinox’s distribution centre in Germany and the boxes survived just fine, and to be honest they don’t seem any flimsier than my other Victorinox boxes. No doubt they’ll have been affected by the COVID-19 caused downturn, but I wouldn’t write them off just yet!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 01:39:16 PM »
I agree with you guys...

Victorinox have been affected by the COVID19, but they are a resourceful company!
If I'm not wrong when they were near bankruptcy in the 2000s they started manufacturing bags, luggages, perfumes ect... All the products we know today, which saved them.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are near bankruptcy today. Even though there is Covid they are pretty fine.

The boxes (Alox 2021) are the same quality as before, the only thing is the inlay that was changed which was a bad choice I think. Even if I would change the boxes for a box like the Swiss Spirit's.
The best inlay (I think) is this foam material we have for Swiss Spirit or we had for Alox in 2015.
We can't conclude that they have difficulties just for that.

One thing that I'm wondering though, is why they are discontinuing a lot of models, limited editions ect... that can be worrying if they don't make new knives, editions to replace that!
And the new limited edition of 30 Classics (with 10 Alox, & will be out may 17th) is for "testing the market" so I don't know what that means...
I clearly doubt they're having serious financial problems even though we can have doubts based on what I just said!!
It can be a totally different reason than financial problems though...

Enven if they would have problems, as I said they are a resourceful company!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:49:44 PM by guibur »

Sr. Member Posts: 332
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 02:27:01 PM »
I assumed the change in packaging was to make it more sustainable, rather than financially driven.

We have the tools, we have the talent!
No Life Club Posts: 1,462
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 04:48:53 PM »
Lets face facts. The world market is a tough one, and its changing for the worst. Knives are no longer an important item to be carried in most of the developed world, and most people I know don't even carry any knife at all. Those that do, most are the young and tacticool crowd with fantasies of fighting off enemy paratroopers while shouting "WOVERINES!"  For them, the Spydero fan boys anything that needs two hands to open and can't pry open a Russian tank hatch is boring. SAK's are knives for nerds and nature geeks. Down here in Texas, all I see most the time are the shiny pocket clips of whatever tactical one hand wonder the young guy is packing like a gun slinger.

With tear open packages, pop top bottles, pull tab cans, theres almost no need for the opener layer of the SAK at all. Unless your camping or hiking, theres almost no need for much knife, and a lot of companies are putting a no knife rule in their company rules handbook. If you have a job that needs a knife, they supply one of the safety cutters like the super market workers use.

Against this backdrop, a knife company is in serious straits to market to an economy that doesn't need all those products. Money talks. Who's going to buy a cadet when the recruit is 1/3 the cost?  And with the knife magazines b being the shills of the knife industry, and pushing the tactical one hand sentry eliminators, who buys a SAK?

Victorinox is facing some lean times, and the less popular models need to be pruned from the tree. I'd hate to see the cadet go, so I may buy a spare.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 05:35:11 PM »
I think you're a bit pessimistic, what you say is not wrong but it's not new. It's been like that for decades at least for the fact that most people don't carry a knife (in Europe at least).
Furthermore Victorinox are not only selling pocket knives but many more things (which saved them in the past)...
It's like Victorinox are gonna disappear very soon they've been there for 100++ years and they will still be for long.
They are still selling 1 million knives a day... & that just for the knives!

No Life Club Posts: 2,327
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 07:45:37 PM »
To me it is the writing on the wall, that Victorinox has (financial) problems and has to cut down seriously on costs. Hopefully I am wrong.

I would agree with that but i'm sure long term they will be fine, i had an email at the end of March saying the London flagship store is closed, for good, will not be reopening, it goes on to say they will reopen in another area but don't know where or when, i don't know new Bond street so don't know if it's an expensive area or not but i'm willing to guess they will reopen somewhere cheaper :dunno:

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,973 \o/
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 08:09:04 PM »
I don't know new Bond street so don't know if it's an expensive area or not

You would struggle to find a more expensive street in Europe.

You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.
No Life Club Posts: 1,462
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2021, 10:30:38 PM »
I think you're a bit pessimistic, what you say is not wrong but it's not new. It's been like that for decades at least for the fact that most people don't carry a knife (in Europe at least).
Furthermore Victorinox are not only selling pocket knives but many more things (which saved them in the past)...
It's like Victorinox are gonna disappear very soon they've been there for 100++ years and they will still be for long.
They are still selling 1 million knives a day... & that just for the knives!

Oh I know I am a bit pessimistic, and I am also a devout cynic, who swears the bottle is half full after a few sips!

But the changes in the knife industry have been appalling to me, and the fact that few people these days even bother to carry a knife is bad tidings for a company that makes knives. In the U.S. they did a good job creating an artificial market by changing the knife from a daily tool, to a weapon and selling an unreal image. Then they add in the wonder steel of the month and "new and improved" locking mechanisms capable if snaring a landing F18 Hornet. I feel that smoke and mirrors have taken over reality in the knife industry, just like the gun industry.

Don't get too serious, just enough will do.
No Life Club Posts: 1,240 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 04:07:22 AM »
Well one of the biggest problems of all is cheap knives from China flooding the market. Somebody who just has a knife for occasional use can buy a cheap knife new for $1-5. They can even get a quite decent (yes, for the price, quite decent) Ozark Trail knife for $5.

Victorinox isn't plying that market, and probably doesn't need to.

There are several kinds of markets for new knives. (Used knives markets are slightly different, but a shadow of the new knife market).

1. Those who want a knife to occasionally use.
2. Those who want a knife to EDC.
3. Those who want a knife for specific occasional outings, such as camping, fishing, etc.
4. Those who want a knife with very specific features for use in specific duties.
5. Those who need a knife for work, and need or want it to be a specific type.
6. Those who want a knife for defense.
7. Those who want a knife for macho coolness, bro.
8. Those who want knives (almost always plural) for actual crime or street fighting.
9. Those who want knives for use in the line of duty or combat (police, military, etc.)
10. Those who are just knife nuts and want to have tons of knives, because they can't get enough.
11. Those who realize that knives make great gifts for people they love, and buy a lot of them to give away.
12. Those who don't overbuy, but do buy several different knives for specific different tasks they perceive a need for.

Did I miss any?

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
OCD Squad Leader Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 11,820
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 09:03:20 AM »
Well one of the biggest problems of all is cheap knives from China flooding the market. Somebody who just has a knife for occasional use can buy a cheap knife new for $1-5. They can even get a quite decent (yes, for the price, quite decent) Ozark Trail knife for $5.

Victorinox isn't plying that market, and probably doesn't need to.

There are several kinds of markets for new knives. (Used knives markets are slightly different, but a shadow of the new knife market).

1. Those who want a knife to occasionally use.
2. Those who want a knife to EDC.
3. Those who want a knife for specific occasional outings, such as camping, fishing, etc.
4. Those who want a knife with very specific features for use in specific duties.
5. Those who need a knife for work, and need or want it to be a specific type.
6. Those who want a knife for defense.
7. Those who want a knife for macho coolness, bro.
8. Those who want knives (almost always plural) for actual crime or street fighting.
9. Those who want knives for use in the line of duty or combat (police, military, etc.)
10. Those who are just knife nuts and want to have tons of knives, because they can't get enough.
11. Those who realize that knives make great gifts for people they love, and buy a lot of them to give away.
12. Those who don't overbuy, but do buy several different knives for specific different tasks they perceive a need for.

Did I miss any?
I think Vic covers all but 6-8 from this list. I also think that as a knife company, if you get associated with 6-8 you probably loose the chance to other groups and of course help make the case for people who want to ban knives.

I think you missed
13. Needlessly large and overbuilt knives for people who like that (Says the guy who is fiddling with a CRKT Seismic). People who use nonsensical word combinations like "hard use folder" (that is called a fix-blade, no need to make up new words!!!).
14. Like 13 but taking it to another level... the pocket-pry-bar folks.

Seriously, I'm surprised Vic has not cleaned up their product lines long ago, they have an unreasonable amount of models. There is absolutely no reason Evo10/11 even exist (Go ahead Wenger fanboys, throw your tantrum, still is true, there is not enough difference to the Spartan/Tinker to justify them).
Once they have cleaned up a bit, they can expand their line-up to cover new areas (e.g. bladeless models / locking blade models in the 91mm range) and of course offer the existing models in more colours (like the apparently plan for the Classic line, their absolute best-seller). And for the Wenger fanboys (who probably still are fuming from my previous comment) adapt the evo scales to the 91mm line.
Oh and vic, if you are reading this, also clean up your names... how does one get from Spartan to Tinker, it should be Spartan and Spartan PH. Or create lines like "CityTool X" (with X standing for the number of layers), and yes, I'm aware this has been done.

As for the cheap Chinese competition. I think there is nothing they can do about that, but they could put more emphasis on what they offer. E.g. "hey, even our cleaning personnel earns a living wage and is forty, not fourteen. They have job-protection, insurance, children benefits, paid holidays and retirement provision.

Emergency Kit: Ovo Sport, chocolate, cheese, crispbread and a coin
No Life Club Posts: 1,240 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2021, 01:46:42 PM »
I think Vic covers all but 6-8 from this list. I also think that as a knife company, if you get associated with 6-8 you probably loose the chance to other groups and of course help make the case for people who want to ban knives.

I think you missed
13. Needlessly large and overbuilt knives for people who like that (Says the guy who is fiddling with a CRKT Seismic). People who use nonsensical word combinations like "hard use folder" (that is called a fix-blade, no need to make up new words!!!).
14. Like 13 but taking it to another level... the pocket-pry-bar folks.

Seriously, I'm surprised Vic has not cleaned up their product lines long ago, they have an unreasonable amount of models. There is absolutely no reason Evo10/11 even exist (Go ahead Wenger fanboys, throw your tantrum, still is true, there is not enough difference to the Spartan/Tinker to justify them).
Once they have cleaned up a bit, they can expand their line-up to cover new areas (e.g. bladeless models / locking blade models in the 91mm range) and of course offer the existing models in more colours (like the apparently plan for the Classic line, their absolute best-seller). And for the Wenger fanboys (who probably still are fuming from my previous comment) adapt the evo scales to the 91mm line.
Oh and vic, if you are reading this, also clean up your names... how does one get from Spartan to Tinker, it should be Spartan and Spartan PH. Or create lines like "CityTool X" (with X standing for the number of layers), and yes, I'm aware this has been done.

As for the cheap Chinese competition. I think there is nothing they can do about that, but they could put more emphasis on what they offer. E.g. "hey, even our cleaning personnel earns a living wage and is forty, not fourteen. They have job-protection, insurance, children benefits, paid holidays and retirement provision.

Good points, except, 13 and 14 are covered in 7.  :pok:

As for Vic's names, I think they could do better with the Tinker series.... if they did that in the Spartan series, the Tourist would be a Spartan Small, the Climber would be a Super Spartan, and...well we already have the Deluxe Climber. Instead, there are plenty of names in the English (and German) language to have genuine model names for the different Tinker iterations.

As for why they have so many models, it really isn't a problem because they use interchangeable parts. If each model had to be custom designed from the ground up, so to speak, it would be much more cumbersome for the engineers and the factory. But each size uses interchangeable pieces, and that makes it much more efficient.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
Hero Member Posts: 794

EMZ nl

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 06:46:12 PM »
I think Victorinox tries to cut down on costs, because these presentation boxes are really flimsy. They crumble down at the weight of the knives! Luckily the web shop sent me the knives packed seperate from the boxes, so the flimsy carton boxes arrived undamaged.

Maybe I have exaggerated a little bit on Vic's finnacial position. I took a closer look at the boxes, and I have a theory.
At left you see the presentation box of the Blue 2020 Limited Pioneer, in the middel is the one for the 2021 Pioneer X, and at right the box for the 2021 Alox Hunter.
The box of the 2020 Pioneer is much smaller than the 2021 version. The knife is placed in a plastic inlay that is supported by the small cardboard box. The 2021 Pioneer X however is supported by the a cardboard inlay but with it weight distributed on a much wider surface, making the support more instable, or 'wobblier'.
The boxes of the 2021 Pioneer X and the 2021 Hunter Pro are in fact the same, only the inlays differ. Standardizing on boxes is of course cheaper. These new boxes have no plastic inlay, so it is possible Victorinox is cutting down on the use of plastics.
As you can see in the picture of the box for the Hunter Pro, the knife is only supported by a narrow strip of the cardboard inlay. It will easily collaps under the weight of the heavy Hunter Pro when boxes are stacked or when the package it is in, is being thrown around by postal workers.

Anyway, in the past I have seen sturdier boxes for the expensive limited editions!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD
25%