Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Harnds Ballet Folding Knife 504

No Life Club Posts: 4,923 Survivor of Covid Pneumonia
Harnds Ballet Folding Knife
« on: April 20, 2021, 10:46:52 AM »
  Amazon likes teasing me. Today it's a Harnds Ballet Folding Knife, made from Sandvik 14C28N, with a flipper. Odd looking knife design, but I'm no blade guru. Not sure if this one is worth $42. Searching says the steel is good, claims to have a ball bearing pivot.

Comes in Black, Champagne, and //shudder// Pink!

To save on disk space am going to use Amazon's LARGE photo. Forget the parameters to show it in smaller format.

Does it look decent :think:, or junk and run away? :ahhh

• Ceramic Ball bearing flipper knife
 • Blade length: 2.17"(55mm), Overall length: 5.71" (145 mm), Closed length: 3.50" (89 mm), 3 oz.
 • Sandvik 14C28N steel (58-60 HRC)
 • Satin finish blade
 • Ceramic ball bearing pivot system deploys the blade smooth and fast.
 •  2-Positionclip for everyday carry, and for both Right and Southpaw.

:think:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:15:06 AM by Outback in Idaho »

¬ Outback in Idaho
No Life Club Posts: 4,827
Re: Harnds Ballet Folding Knife
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 12:49:22 PM »
The steel is good, not a super steel but a very nice budget steel that is easy to sharpen. Mora uses it in their stainless blades if I remember correctly. Ceramic ball bearings should make it a smooth opener and it looks cool

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 04:19:35 AM »
  I probably should not of ordered it... :ahhh  :rofl:

¬ Outback in Idaho
Thread Killer 2019 No Life Club Posts: 4,445
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 05:51:02 AM »
Interesting looking knife.  If I was to get one I'd probably go with the champagne color as well. :cheers:
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 09:52:36 AM »
  I probably should not of ordered it... :ahhh  :rofl:
Let us know good/bad it is when it arrives :tu:

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 06:49:26 AM »
  I really need to look and watch out for measurements. Chinese vendors alter photos, and are always misrepresenting something to make it seem better than what it is

This Harnds knife is smaller than expected. The hand in their photo must of been one seriously long fingered tiny person, or they enlarged the knife. Had actually expected a hand sized knife. While the Harnds Ballet looks good it does have two flaws IMHO.

Bad stuff first.

The size. Blade Length: 2.17" (55mm), Overall Length: 5.71" (145 mm), Closed Length: 3.50" (89 mm). Light Weight of 3oz.
  The sizing is a tad smaller, unless they are reading from the base to the tip.

Here's the photo they used. Deception!

:rofl:

Held my my four fingered hand...  :rofl:

It is an attractive knife for what it is, and flicks open quite easily. But that is where another issue crops up... the liner lock...
  Or am I being too picking and expecting a full lock from the liner lock??

Please tell me if I am being to critical here. I did have a couple of deploys out of a dozen that the liner did not lock the blade well and the blade was loose.

So worked the linger lock in and out with a Spirit X flathead screwdriver. There is a lot of friction here, and obviously metal is scraping hard against metal. I did send a message to the vendor and they are expected to reply in a couple of days. Did not mention the size of the knife as it was clearly depicted in the text. Their photo is NOT an accurate size representation - and to me it is misleading.
  [/url]

And will continue with glamour shots.  :)

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 06:54:53 AM »
  Is it possible the liner lock will eventually wear in? Should I take it apart if I do not hear back from the vendor and see if I can lessen the friction?

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 07:00:04 AM »
  Okay, glamour photos from inside the car. :pok:

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 07:20:22 AM »
  The vendor wrote back and wanted a video. Sent Sophia photos instead. Wonder why all the vendors have the same names...  :think:

Then sent this photo to help show what a liner lock looks like when properly enagged. :whistle:

Will say the pocket clip is hard to get over a pants pocket and the bugger stays! Least so far. Was working in and around the car, trike, and house and thought - oh carp, bet I lost it. Nope, was still clung to the twill pants pocket. :D

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 07:54:25 AM »
  Weird message from the vendor. Her attachment was the email address that I guess I need to correspond to get their test video? :popcorn:

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 09:47:36 AM »
  Can see where the lock liner is scraping. Bad QA there.

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 10:46:57 AM »
  Have to enjoy those moments when a vendor proves the point you are trying to make. I even thanked them for showing me evidence that mine is not working properly using their evidence.  :rofl:

I took two snips of their video and compared to the knife I got.

Their video :twak:
  https://live.staticflickr.com/video/51132247507/92b3436acd/720p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1MTEzMjI0NzUwNywiZSI6MTYxOTE2OTMxMiwicyI6IjYzNWFhN2Y5MDkzMWVmOWU4YTljOWY2Y2E1ODEwYTUwOTMyMjk2NWEiLCJ2IjoxfQ

And another one to stick the pin into the dolly. :pok:

And their reply with the video:
According to our  years of knives manufacturing experience, 30% lock engagement is the best factory setting, the liner lock will be wear and tear during the use.
Actually,many other brand knives don't care the problem,  cause they don't care the use time of products,but Harnds care, it is easy to make the liner engagement of 50%, but it is probable  over lock soon.
The video in the attachment shows the violent test of the lock, you can have a try,but be more careful.
We like to discuss the problem of our products with customers, and we are looking forwards to further communication.
Thank you!

Woohoo!!  :woohoo: Got a reply that may solve the issue.
Well,I think that you may get a rare one with problem.
I will send a new knife to you directly.you don't have to apply to Amazon.
Pls give me your address, and tell me whether you still need warm sand handle.

Think they will check the replacement out before sending it, or just another robo-matic grab and stuff from Amazon?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:13:46 AM by Outback in Idaho »

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 07:46:30 PM »
The linerlock would wear so it would get a better lockup, but that one looks way early.
Good to hear you are getting a new one :tu:

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 01:43:10 PM »
  Replacement on its way. Company does not want this one back. What to do with a partially functional knife?  :think:

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 01:52:54 PM »
You could try and file the tang on the knife to where the liner lock actually works?

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 12:30:12 AM »
You could try and file the tang on the knife to where the liner lock actually works?

Will have to find a skinny file. That steel is claimed to be quite resilient. This might take a while.  :D

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »
If you can find a needle file with diamond abrasive I think you would get it done :tu:

Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 52,687
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 05:38:56 AM »
Probably would be easier to take the knife apart   ;)
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »
:tu:

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 10:46:39 AM »
  Got a replacement knife in today. Not much change. Told the manufacturer they must have a bad batch of knives, and that I do not want any more. Total smurfcraft there.

Contacted Amazon Vine and complained. We have to pay taxes on what we review. They took it off my account. So have two knives that need work. The second one was not as bad, yet it still failed to fully engage underneath the blade.

:facepalm:

¬ Outback in Idaho
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 11:11:21 AM »
  Beating a dead horse here. I'm done with crappy Chinese made knives, not matter how good they look. ~  Their motto is Handy and Hardy. :rofl:

Harnd's got back to me:
I 'm sorry.
Maybe the design thought of lock is not accepted by everyone,but we will accept the reality.
Harnds Knives have been sold more than hundred thousands on Amazon and other shopping site.Feedbacks of lock problem were received no more than ten times.I don't think this is a good thing, but it is not a rather bad thing.
We will work hard for more recognized.
Thank you!

Kind Regards
Sophia

And my reply back:
Every photo on the posted reviews has the same issue. Comparing to your knife in the video, your knife safely locks. The others bind because metal is grinding against metal and barely locks, and not securely. So when someone lose a finger, that’s okay with your company then?

Will have to add this to Multitool.org’s forum where I was also reviewing your knife. This site is where people from all over the world share ideas. They too said the knife needs taken apart and either file down the edge of the liner lock or under the flipper for the safety to engage.

Problem is your company should of made sure the knives were safe before the sale.

We will not do business again. Your company lacks product integrity.

Good bye

¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05