Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Info on USA Made Craftsman Tool

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Info on USA Made Craftsman Tool
on: April 23, 2021, 02:24:57 AM
Can anyone provide info on this Craftsman branded tool?
 Is it just a rebranded Bear Jaws?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Info on USA Made Craftsman Tool
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 02:34:43 AM
I think so. But, I can't give you a date on them. I figured they replaced the ST-5E, and I know as a kid, I saw one of these at my local Sears.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 06:50:46 AM
Can anyone provide info on this Craftsman branded tool?
 Is it just a rebranded Bear Jaws?

Yes.  As well as a couple of Bear Jaws (45201, 45521), Craftsman also relabelled the Kershaw A100, Schrade ST5 & ST2, Seber M4 and a red sliding Jaws MT (not sure who actually made these).  There may be others that I just haven't come across (yet). 

Bear & Son put quite a few different brands to be put on their MTs (Craftsman, LL Bean, Crescent/Toolzall, Nicholson, Moore Maker).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 06:56:34 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 12:20:41 PM
 :iagree:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 03:57:44 AM
I got the feeling from Bear in most of our interactions that they really aren't interested in their own multitool line, and probably would have discontinued the whole mess if they weren't making some decent money selling them en masse to other companies.

I believe they only started doing them in the past because they were already manufacturing components for Leatherman and decided to take a whack at it themselves.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 05:13:06 AM
I got the feeling from Bear in most of our interactions that they really aren't interested in their own multitool line, and probably would have discontinued the whole mess if they weren't making some decent money selling them en masse to other companies.

I believe they only started doing them in the past because they were already manufacturing components for Leatherman and decided to take a whack at it themselves.

Def

That would explain the lackluster quality control.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 01:17:53 AM
The quality of my Crescent Toolzall Pro is excellent.   The larger Bear multitool I bought which bore their own brand was terrible.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 02:22:47 AM
The quality of my Crescent Toolzall Pro is excellent.   The larger Bear multitool I bought which bore their own brand was terrible.

I have a Toolzall Pocket Pro and a Craftsman. They are both good tools. Same with my Remington Bear and Son Small Trapper and Moore Maker lockback. These are all Bear-made products.  But, all of the about 5-6 Bear and Son knives I own are awful.

I think I finally need to get a Toolzall. What I Like about the Craftsman, however, is it's the only Bear Jaws with an awl, as opposed to an extra blade.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 02:52:00 AM
I can't say that my copies show a lack of quality overall, and I do have a few of them in my collection. I do admire their thick stainless steel construction, but not a fan of their locking mechanism arms that jut out at odd an angle from the handle. Those just seem to get in the way.

20210424_204058A by Chako, on Flickr

and a closeup of my single Craftsman branded model.

20210424_204134A by Chako, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 03:15:13 AM by Chako »

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 07:26:36 AM
IIRC someone said that Bear & Son would often sell off their tools that didn't meet their own (quite low) QA standards at cheap prices, but without any markings to indicate they were "seconds".  These of course got sold on as regular quality tools (for higher prices), thus denting Bear & Sons reputation even further.

This would explain why there are some quite bad but "new" Bear & Son tools and knives floating around on the secondary markets (eg ebay, craigslist, gumtree etc)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline cody6268

Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 02:03:27 PM
IIRC someone said that Bear & Son would often sell off their tools that didn't meet their own (quite low) QA standards at cheap prices, but without any markings to indicate they were "seconds".  These of course got sold on as regular quality tools (for higher prices), thus denting Bear & Sons reputation even further.

This would explain why there are some quite bad but "new" Bear & Son tools and knives floating around on the secondary markets (eg ebay, craigslist, gumtree etc)

Amazon used to sell them at sub-$20 prices all the time without mentioning they were seconds. Now the Remington Small Trapper I picked up was just $7, but fine to me. But the others were awful knives and two multitools. I still use the sheaths for other tools--Bear does make a great belt sheath--heavy Cordura with a leather horizontal/vertical belt loop and strong Velcro.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 02:11:28 PM
I wonder if I have a few of these in my collection somewhere as when I got them, they reminded me very much of Bear & Son production...but they featured no name. I might have to take an expedition into my collection soon. I am uncertain exactly where the ones I am thinking are stored currently.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 03:13:42 PM
I wonder if I have a few of these in my collection somewhere as when I got them, they reminded me very much of Bear & Son production...but they featured no name. I might have to take an expedition into my collection soon. I am uncertain exactly where the ones I am thinking are stored currently.

I suspect that there was a factory in China that was making copies/homages of the Bear Jaws MT.  I have 4, with brands "China", "Schrade", "Garrity" & :Smith & Wesson".  The latter is even marked as "First production Run" which I found slightly amusing.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 03:16:58 PM
That would stand to reason.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 03:17:46 AM
I bought what was likely a second with the Toolzall branding off ebay around a year and a half ago. The pliers had so much play as to be unusable. It seemed really nice otherwise, so I was bummed to return it.

I have two Pocket Pros that are really good though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%