Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Popular Mechanics - How SAK’s are made

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Popular Mechanics - How SAK’s are made
on: April 24, 2021, 10:57:29 AM
Don’t think this has been posted before (apologies if it has) :think: rather relaxing I thought as well as very interesting

As I’m unable to share the article being a subscription, text copied below

HOW IT’S DONE
The knife blades are stamped from a 3mm steel strip, then placed in a container with abrasive ceramic stones, which round and refine the blades’ edges. After embossing Victorinox’s seal of authenticity on the tang, we place the blades in an oven heated to 1,050°C (1,922°F). This hardens the material and strengthens the structure of the steel. Finally, we grind the blade for its final sharpening.—Urs Wyss, senior product marketing manager

CARL ELSENER, JR., 63, CEO OF VICTORINOX, SCHWYZ, SWITZERLAND

MY GREAT-GRANDFATHER founded Victorinox in 1884. He chose his mother’s name, Victoria, for the company, adding “inox,” the stainless steel from which our knives are made, after its invention. In 1897, we patented the little red knife, the Schweizer Offiziers-und Sportmesser, which American soldiers shortened to “Swiss Army Knife.”
Victorinox produces 45,000 Swiss Army Knives per day, with 100 percent recycled steel. The approximately 500 tons of grinding sludge that’s generated during manufacturing is recycled at the steel plant; the water in the sludge is absorbed; and the steel particles are pressed into briquettes.
It’s fantastic to hear people share their adventures with their little red knife, like Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield. In his book, An Astronaut’s Guide to Life, he describes breaking into the Mir space station. Russian astronauts had sealed the docking module hatch shut with tight straps—but Hadfield had a Swiss Army Knife and simply cut his way in. He wrote, “Never leave the planet without one.”

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Popular Mechanics - How SAK’s are made
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 12:55:18 PM
The guy who has to put the blades next to each other before they get roasted must have the most tedious job... followed by Tweezers Lady!
It's always surprising to see the blades start out as enormous bands of very flexible metal, not in rigid sheets as one would imagine.

sd Offline Andetto

• Am old school, I still believe in respect.
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 02:09:27 PM
The guy who has to put the blades next to each other before they get roasted must have the most tedious job... followed by Tweezers Lady!
It's always surprising to see the blades start out as enormous bands of very flexible metal, not in rigid sheets as one would imagine.

:facepalm: yeah. The tweezers lady doesnt seem happy. While watching this, I discovered a cure for sakmania or aichmomania. Just apply for a job in the factory, and after work you wont be able to see them again at home.
Am afraid if I work there, I will be accused of corruption, knives will be missing in bulks.  :ahhh :drool:

Regards
Andetto

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 02:18:10 PM
:rofl:

Tweezers Lady sounds like a character straight out of Twin Peaks :D

Offline Maties

Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 06:20:25 PM
4'34" -- is that a rambler alox? Hey, make that again, I want one!

Enviat des del meu Pixel 3a usant Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD