Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rafter Square

gb Offline Cakemonster

Rafter Square
on: April 07, 2021, 12:04:22 PM
I saw someone using one on a YouTube video and used a decking project I'd got to do as the excuse to buy one.
"What do you need more tools for? "  :pok: is usually the cry from Mrs Cakemonster but even she was impressed with how useful it was!
To be fair to her, she doesn’t mind getting involved and was doing the marking out while I did the cutting and fixing.
In short if you haven't got one, get a rafter square, so useful 👍

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Rafter Square
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 08:49:59 PM
I saw someone using one on a YouTube video and used a decking project I'd got to do as the excuse to buy one.
"What do you need more tools for? "  :pok: is usually the cry from Mrs Cakemonster but even she was impressed with how useful it was!
To be fair to her, she doesn’t mind getting involved and was doing the marking out while I did the cutting and fixing.
In short if you haven't got one, get a rafter square, so useful 👍

:worthless:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 05:56:05 AM
"What do you need more tools for? "

I used to get that and variations of "This can't possibly be needed" from a close relative who shall remain anonymous. That was until said anonymous person needed to make something, and not having suitable tools himself he turned to me. It was almost like seeing someone severely near sighted put on glasses for the first time - the need for tools suddenly came into focus. And many things previously consider impossible, or not considered at all, became possible because tools provided those options.

Yes, I do have a rafter square too and they are great for their uses. Although I rarely use it as I seldom do anything with wood.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 06:20:35 AM
I have a metric Empire one but haven't used the rafter function yet. There's another brand which might be better.  :think:

Very hand just as a square or to make square crosscuts with the circular saw. I have used it to mark some funky angles too (by rotating it about the pivot).
20180616_111044.jpg
* 20180616_111044.jpg (Filesize: 178.22 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:16:40 PM
The original brand of the cast aluminum type (at least I think it is :think: ) that Synco has a pic of is Swanson :cheers: The Swanson Speed Square has been around for ages and are very handy squares indeed :salute:

They also come in a 12 inch model that is handy for a variety of tasks in itself :cheers:

I have the Swanson plus a few other brands of these and also the 12 inch one  :salute:

I also have an older type of these that if I remember I will get a pic of :tu: I love a good square and have several different types :dd: I have a brand of folding square that to me is much more compact and handy than the speed/rafter square but the speed square does a fee things it can't  :salute:

The brand of the folding square is Nobex and is made in Sweden. I have had one of those (well a few of them in different sizes and some have 3 locking position and some have quite a few more ;) ) for more than 15 years :tu:

Did I mention I love squares :dd: :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 10:07:18 PM
Ahh Swanson, that's right. :tu:  They only had Empire at my hardware store, both aluminium and plastic ones.

One difference is the Swanson has notches to aid with scribing lines parallel to the edge of the timber.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:24:30 PM
There's plenty of Speed/Rafter Square videos on YouTube. This one covers the basics:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 02:59:09 PM
Ahh Swanson, that's right. :tu:  They only had Empire at my hardware store, both aluminium and plastic ones.

One difference is the Swanson has notches to aid with scribing lines parallel to the edge of the timber.

The notches do come  in handy :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 03:25:10 PM
The notches do come  in handy :tu:

I wonder if I could mod some notches into my speed square......

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 08:55:32 PM
There's plenty of Speed/Rafter Square videos on YouTube. This one covers the basics:

Thanks for sharing! I love seeing the pros showing how to use and make the most of their tools. That's how you begin to appreciate awl the little details and why they're there.

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 09:18:42 PM
Even if only using these to make tight right angle cuts from saws with no real fence they are worth their weight in Gold for me!
I can use them with a Sawzall,Jigsaw and even hand saws and MTs to get decent cuts when I need to.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 12:50:00 AM
Even if only using these to make tight right angle cuts from saws with no real fence they are worth their weight in Gold for me!
Yeah it has replaced the combination square as my go-to for marking right-angle cuts.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 05:29:52 PM
Found this online, from a physical store nearby. Might get one, they are really useful and versatile.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 02:38:56 AM
Found this online, from a physical store nearby. Might get one, they are really useful and versatile.
See if you can find a Swanson one with the notches.  :pok:
Do you really want imperial?  :poke:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 12:33:39 PM
See if you can find a Swanson one with the notches.  :pok:
Do you really want imperial?  :poke:

I've searched the interwebs for it in Portugal, but this was the only one I found. Not much variety of tools offered here.

:-\

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 09:29:25 PM
More info:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 09:30:17 PM
Uno más:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 11:47:19 PM
Good tool to have even for the DIY'er.  I picked one up a while ago and its been fun learning how the pros use it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 02:34:38 AM
I have a few squares that I use but none of them had any of the scribe notches in them.  After seeing a video where people were using their squares with the notches in them, I decided to go buy a new one.  I ended up buying this 6 inch square with a fold out portion that makes it 12 inches.  At first I thought it was pretty gimmicky but now, over time I have started to really like it. 

DSC_3237_copy_518x921.jpg
* DSC_3237_copy_518x921.jpg (Filesize: 153.36 KB)
DSC_3238_copy_518x921.jpg
* DSC_3238_copy_518x921.jpg (Filesize: 149.71 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 11:59:51 AM
I wonder if I could mod some notches into my speed square......

Could always try :shrug: :D I would say a hacksaw blade or a file :think: the file would likely yield a better result as long as it wasn't a very thick file :cheers: a triangle file might be an even better option, you could file it as small or as big as you wanted but have to be careful to keep it as close to the measurement as you could :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 12:03:19 PM
I have a few squares that I use but none of them had any of the scribe notches in them.  After seeing a video where people were using their squares with the notches in them, I decided to go buy a new one.  I ended up buying this 6 inch square with a fold out portion that makes it 12 inches.  At first I thought it was pretty gimmicky but now, over time I have started to really like it.

Don't think I have seen those :o I :like: it :cheers: Anything new that might make thing easier is great to try out :salute: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2021, 12:05:20 PM
I've searched the interwebs for it in Portugal, but this was the only one I found. Not much variety of tools offered here.

:-\

I rarely use the measurements on mine :whistle: mostly the right angle or the other angles on it :cheers: So not a big deal for me with imperial or metric :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22 on: April 22, 2021, 01:04:07 PM
Could always try :shrug: :D I would say a hacksaw blade or a file :think: the file would likely yield a better result as long as it wasn't a very thick file :cheers: a triangle file might be an even better option, you could file it as small or as big as you wanted but have to be careful to keep it as close to the measurement as you could :ahhh

Yeah I think I would drill holes large enough to get a triangle file in as shown below:
Speedsquare Notches.jpg
* Speedsquare Notches.jpg (Filesize: 89.98 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 05, 2021, 07:57:54 PM
I'm no construction worker, but this is another vote for the Swanson Speed Square.

Used mine last May to cut up some lumber properly while constructing a platform that went between the wheel wells  in the bed of my truck. I used totes with wheels on them to store tools and camping gear under that platform so we could put our sleeping bags on top of the platform.

Used it for our ground expedition from Boston to the Badlands, Big Sky, Gallatin Gateway, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Colorado, and back.

Thank you, Swanson Speed Square!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 05, 2021, 08:00:19 PM
By the way, I cut most of that lumber with my old Craftasman circular saw. But I cut SOME of that lumber with the saw in my Leatherman Rebar and an old Victorinox Rucksack. Just because I could.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%