Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tips needed: Handrill for handicrafts

de Offline Shuya

Tips needed: Handrill for handicrafts
on: October 18, 2021, 08:36:11 AM
Hi folks,

I am looking for a small hand drill for my wife and kids to do some crafts.
Nothing special, but basicaly a grip to use regular drills (up to like 4mm).
Everything Ive seen so far has been labeled as pure junk when reading reviews. The wire drills I had as a kid seem to be junk, too wherever I look.

I am not looking for some powered drill, first I already got one, second I dont want my 4yo to work with electric drills yet, and third its not needed for drilling holes in small pieces of wood or chestnuts for handicrafts.

Any ideas?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: Tips needed: Handrill for handicrafts
Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 11:11:35 AM
Could these be what you're looking for? Mostly for wood admittedly but fairly cheap and foolproof. I have wanted to buy a couple myself but shipping has been putting me off, but you should have no trouble there.

No affiliation with the site but I have been considering placing an order, except I don't really need them.

https://www.bohrcraft-shop.de/nagelbohrer-c-187.html

de Offline Shuya

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 02:26:44 PM
Thanks for the link, these are the wire drills Ive mentioned.
Its the first shop where I think the quality might be Ok, they are 3times the price of the junk Ive seen so far so I HOPE they are good.
Ordered a whole set, we will see.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 04:04:07 PM
Thanks for the link, these are the wire drills Ive mentioned.
Its the first shop where I think the quality might be Ok, they are 3times the price of the junk Ive seen so far so I HOPE they are good.
Ordered a whole set, we will see.
Right, hope they work out for you! The pictures seem promising compared to a lot of the junk that's out there. Please come back with a short review.
The next step I can think of is the brace, good at what they do but not exactly easy to use, especially for a child.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 06:42:22 PM
I don't know what it's like in Germany, but there's a wealth of second hand vintage tools for sale in the UK. You should be able to pick up a decent geared hand drill for whatever budget you like - A new one will be cheap and found in most DIY shops (Toolstation, B&Q, Screwfix, etc) for just a few quid, while older ones (egg beaters or braces) can be had from tool sites and charity shops all over, starting from a tenner all the way up to insane money.
TBH, I think postage is more likely to cost more than the drill.

Something like this should be very good: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1011666967/vintage-reko-hand-drill-egg-beater-style?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=hand+drill&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 12:58:53 PM
That Fiskars thingy looks good but I wonder, with that 110 degree angle between the handle and the drill would it be possible to make relatively straight down holes ?

When I was a kid and my grandfather was retired carpenter, still working occasionally and still having fully loaded workshop I was allowed to touch only the hand tools, no power tools, and HECK NO to the machines  :gimme: So he had a drill like this one that I was allowed to use https://www.ebay.com/itm/323690319546?hash=item4b5d724eba:g:khUAAOSwPYRcVCAX

Another type that could work for you (though I don't have experience with this one so  :dunno: ) is this kind https://www.ebay.com/itm/132878644895?hash=item1ef02f369f:g:sWMAAOSw~~NbZeaD

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 03:51:58 PM
Have the one in the first link thats really nice to use.  I think the second link is also a good choice. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD