Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG’s New Gold TiNi PowerLock w/Scissors (S60GN) & w/V Cutter (S62GN)

us Offline Tigershark

• Name: Jay
As most SOG enthusiasts/collectors know the older gold TiNi multitools are highly sought after. Interestingly, the new gold PowerLocks have been available for a while and yet... crickets 🦗 .  I just don’t get it. I’m not stating they’re not selling well (because I have no idea) just little to no hype. They are fairly priced at $74.99, recently $59.99 on sale, which to is a steal for a lifetime warranty/respectable multitool.  I own both and they are really nice. Yet, I haven’t seen much interest on SOG FaceBook Groups, forums or the media. So... I’d like to hear from the diehard multitool guys. Why? I’m only guessing with: Taiwan made, flat gold TiNi, COVID distraction??? All responses are appreciated. Thx, Jay

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Quite honestly, I think the novelty of the compound leverage has worn off and people spend their Dollars on other brands. I love my older SOGs but I have no interest in their newer models, not since I was left a little underwhelmed by the PowerAssist I bought several years ago.  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Tigershark

Quite honestly, I think the novelty of the compound leverage has worn off and people spend their Dollars on other brands. I love my older SOGs but I have no interest in their newer models, not since I was left a little underwhelmed by the PowerAssist I bought several years ago.  :dunno:
Max, Got it. You had a bad experience years ago - that’s it? As far as other brands and the compound leverage, what delivers above and beyond these two models for the price in gold TiNi? Once again, I’m trying to understand why these two models are receiving the poor welcome and appreciate your insight. Thx.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I own both and they are really nice. Yet, I haven’t seen much interest on SOG FaceBook Groups, forums or the media. So... I’d like to hear from the diehard multitool guys. Why? I’m only guessing with: Taiwan made, flat gold TiNi, COVID distraction??? All responses are appreciated. Thx, Jay

I wonder if it is because they are still readily available, while the other (more desirable) older TiNi SOGS are much (MUCH) harder to find.  This means the supply/demand curve is very different for the two groups of tools.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
The Powerduo killed SOG for me. A search in the forum will show why.

The older tools are still solid and are being gradually improved.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
A lot of the newer models are underwhelming I am afraid and some were even recalled 2 or 3 years ago for a faulty lock on a tool :ahhh I can't remember which one at the moment but I remember a member here that had the problem :facepalm:

I do have a few SOG tools but they just don't do anything for me unfortunately :-\ I have wanted to like them over the years and have given them more than a few chances but I just keep going back to LM :shrug: 

I do appreciate that several do like them but it seems that the newer tools just don't have the same durablity or dependablity (lookwise anyways) that some of the older tools had :salute:

us Offline Tigershark

A lot of the newer models are underwhelming I am afraid and some were even recalled 2 or 3 years ago for a faulty lock on a tool :ahhh I can't remember which one at the moment but I remember a member here that had the problem :facepalm:

I do have a few SOG tools but they just don't do anything for me unfortunately :-\ I have wanted to like them over the years and have given them more than a few chances but I just keep going back to LM :shrug: 

I do appreciate that several do like them but it seems that the newer tools just don't have the same durablity or dependablity (lookwise anyways) that some of the older tools had :salute:
Got it. My recommendation is to try out either of these gold TiNi models, especially while they’re still available. I really don’t think that you will be disappointed for $75.

nl Offline GotBluntnose

As most SOG enthusiasts/collectors know the older gold TiNi multitools are highly sought after. Interestingly, the new gold PowerLocks have been available for a while and yet... crickets 🦗 .  I just don’t get it. I’m not stating they’re not selling well (because I have no idea) just little to no hype. They are fairly priced at $74.99, recently $59.99 on sale, which to is a steal for a lifetime warranty/respectable multitool.  I own both and they are really nice. Yet, I haven’t seen much interest on SOG FaceBook Groups, forums or the media. So... I’d like to hear from the diehard multitool guys. Why? I’m only guessing with: Taiwan made, flat gold TiNi, COVID distraction??? All responses are appreciated. Thx, Jay

Hey Jay, I agree about the strange silence around TiNi. It's an amazing technology. Anyone who does the research finds out about the Rockwell hardness scale and the benefits it has on scratch resistance.
For me it adds a layer of collectable value. Color, hardness, it being so frikking rare.

Here are my TiNi SOG's:

The search is never over, as I still need the PowerPlier V3 (thin nose) TiNi and the Crossgrip TiNi. Gotta keep those ebay saved searches at the ready.
Anyway, good to hear from you.
As you can see I have your custom sheath, as I bought your Lynnwood powerplier a few weeks ago on ebay. Thanks again for the added goody.
Full metal blunt force trauma

us Offline Tigershark

Got it. My recommendation is to try out either of these gold TiNi models, especially while they’re still available. I really don’t think that you will be disappointed for $75.
Hey... that's so cool.  Glad you are enjoying the PowerPlier too.  You have a very impressive set of Gold TiNi multitools.  I just need the Gold PowerLock (old version) and I'll be complete. Start saving for when my site becomes a merchant site to pick up the gold CrossGrip and much much more. It's SO funny to listen to the wife when she see all the SOG Boxes in the man cave.  "You need to start selling these knives".  It's true but I'm not retired yet.  Thx for the post and comments.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
I have a few TiNi SOG’S ( can’t remember which models )
Would really like to grab theses new TiNi versions.
I’m in the UK, Does anyone know who imports these or if SOG would post international?
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

se Offline RF52

I have a few TiNi SOG’S ( can’t remember which models )
Would really like to grab theses new TiNi versions.
I’m in the UK, Does anyone know who imports these or if SOG would post international?
knivesandtools.co.uk have some SOG products
And sogknives.co.uk

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
I am not the biggest fan of SOG multi-tools. The thing is, I like tool-box multi-tools, with many implements, like the Rebar, Wave, ST300, Spirit, etc. When it comes to SOG, the pliers are good, but the rest seem subpar. And the recent tools seem the same. They look nice, but I cannot get excited about them. SOG said they'd go through a re-branding process, re-imagining their tools and designs. If things pick up with the new offerings, I might try out something.

ph Offline Zephon

Just to answer a question on why SOG isn’t getting mileage on my neck of the woods:

The PowerAccess is a good compound leverage pliers for its size. It’s the lock on the tool that became the dealbreaker for me.

When you’re halfway around the world with no exchange warranty and tools cost 30-40 percent more, you expect them to perform perfectly out of the box. Even if it’s just to get your money’s worth.

SOGs with compound pliers don’t go below USD80/85 here. Between any given SOG versus say a Wave or Swiss Champ, the compound pliers are all it has going for it. Then there’s competition coming from the Wave-like China-made USD20 tools too……

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%