Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need RC advice

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Need RC advice
on: January 22, 2021, 10:42:47 PM
Around here somewhere, I've got a Kyosho Mini Z Overland Pajero needing the whole front end rebuilt; thanks to me dropping it 3-4 years ago. It was really nice, but had a few problems. I bought it used, and there were a number of poorly done upgrades that gave me headaches. Plus, despite being an SUV. Plus, parts are somewhat hard to get, and expensive. I've noticed that Kyosho's US branch wants a LOT more for parts (or at least used to) than Japanese sellers. I also don't like that with Kyosho, most parts are sold in pre-determined packs, not individually. If you break something, you're paying extra to get parts you likely won't be using (such as body mounts) bundled with the part you just smurfed up doing something stupid. But now they've got the new 4x4 chassis, which is really similar to the old Overland, but 4x4 and a little tougher.

I am wanting to purchase a four-wheel drive 1/24-ish RC; preferably off-road oriented like a crawler due to the fact I have no paved surfaces, just a steep gravel drive and grass. And, I want something that looks like a road-going vehicle, not a buggy or other odd body. I really can't store a bigger scale one. Easier to store, transport, and use (sometimes, I do use them indoors) a smaller-scale model.  My budget is $200 (preferably less0, and I need something respectably durable, with decent repair/upgrade part availability that isn't insanely expensive.

I'm looking at 2-3 different options right now, but I'd like suggestions.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Need RC advice
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 05:52:16 PM
Around here somewhere, I've got a Kyosho Mini Z Overland Pajero needing the whole front end rebuilt; thanks to me dropping it 3-4 years ago. It was really nice, but had a few problems. I bought it used, and there were a number of poorly done upgrades that gave me headaches. Plus, despite being an SUV. Plus, parts are somewhat hard to get, and expensive. I've noticed that Kyosho's US branch wants a LOT more for parts (or at least used to) than Japanese sellers. I also don't like that with Kyosho, most parts are sold in pre-determined packs, not individually. If you break something, you're paying extra to get parts you likely won't be using (such as body mounts) bundled with the part you just smurfed up doing something stupid. But now they've got the new 4x4 chassis, which is really similar to the old Overland, but 4x4 and a little tougher.

I am wanting to purchase a four-wheel drive 1/24-ish RC; preferably off-road oriented like a crawler due to the fact I have no paved surfaces, just a steep gravel drive and grass. And, I want something that looks like a road-going vehicle, not a buggy or other odd body. I really can't store a bigger scale one. Easier to store, transport, and use (sometimes, I do use them indoors) a smaller-scale model.  My budget is $200 (preferably less0, and I need something respectably durable, with decent repair/upgrade part availability that isn't insanely expensive.

I'm looking at 2-3 different options right now, but I'd like suggestions.

Cody, I used to race MiniZ touring for a few years long, long time ago, and eventually raced 1/10 touring internationally.  But it's been a long while since I've done anything MiniZ, let me dive into this and hopefully find a few alternative to MiniZ off road truck.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 07:25:24 PM
Cody, I did take a look around and probably you may have the same answer--I would probably recommend SCX24 from Axial as a good alternative to Kyosho.

Axial was a pretty big brand in crawler, and I had driven one of their earliest crawler way back when RC crawler was just starting(15+ years ago?).  These guys know what they are doing back then, and I was thoroughly impressed with the crawler's articulation and design.  It had a pretty good balance between performance, durability and price.

I love Kyosho's stuff, especially everything MiniZ since it has some of the best detailed bodies in the business.  However, it is the exact reason I think it may not be as 'optimal' as the SCX24 since the Kyosho molded bodies tend to be much heavier than plain lexan RC bodies.  Also SCX24 being powered by lithium batteries, longer body with higher clearance and lighter lexan body all seem to me to be a more performance driven crawler than Kyosho.  However, having said that, if you are into realism(which I think you do due to the impressive toy car collection) and ease of use(AAA and AA batteries), Kyosho is probably a great choice.

In terms of budget, SCX24 is priced a lot lower than Kyosho, and if the 200 is the limit, I would recommend keeping the rest of the money for future spare parts(which is important, since parts do break in RC).  Axial IIRC is a US company, so getting parts from popular RC sites shouldn't be a problem.  Kyosho original parts usually are pretty expensive, but they do have great F&F. 

There exist numerous third party providers for Kyosho parts, mainly manufactured by various brands in Chinese factory, but I would really suggest to stay clear from most of them since F&F is a common issue.  Some third party makers would advocate their fancy CNC aluminum after market parts, but they only sound good on paper, could be total junk if they don't even fit or work well.

There are a lot of cool tricks to make a crawler perform better, such as adding small bits of lead inside the rim(to make the center of gravity lower and keep tires on surface during articulation), or using chemical to soften the tires and make them grippier.  But like most RC stuff, driving skill is king.

Please do let us know what you decide in the end, would love to hear your review on the crawler. :tu:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 08:38:28 PM
I know this is a bit late, but thanks for the advice! I went with the SCX-24 Chevy C-10 in blue-green. Both the Kyosho and Axial were out of stock from the time I posted this, until just recently, so it gave me some time to seriously think.   Looked a bit more rugged in chassis design than the Kyosho, and as you say, parts are easier to get.  When I was heavily using the Mini Z Overland, I had to order most of my parts from Japan and wait a month or more. Kyosho was very limited in what their US office stocked (and more than double what the cost from Japanese retailers was), while Axial has several US dealers, and 3 semi-locally (about an hour's drive) if I have to buy repair parts that way.  Plus, the SCX-24 is sealed against dust and water. I mostly run anything this size or bigger on a gravel driveway, so that's an issue. And it seems to have heavier-duty components, with a steel frame and shafts. And the fixed diffs is much better than my old 4WD car, a 2010s XMODS (back when Radio Shack was I guess trying to keep the trademark going by reintroducing the line as a 1/18 toy grade car instead of a pro-grade Mini Z competition as they were when new). Should get stuck less.

http://www.axialracing.com/products/axi00001t2

I took your advice when ordering as well. But, I will have to wait for another order to pick up most of the small replacement parts, as most are on backorder until next month.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:21:00 PM by cody6268 »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 06:00:55 AM
Cody, you gonna have much fun with this trunk I am sure.   :cheers:

For the parts, you could always wait a little to see what maybe a weak point of the chassis and decide what backup/upgrade parts you may need later.  Crawlers are much tougher build than small scale(MiniZ) or regular(1:10) touring chassis, so as long you are not abusing the transmission or dropping from high places, they can be long lasting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7prUqqLmQ&ab_channel=TJthercGuy
I haven't watched enough SCX videos to comment which one is the best, but I think this guy does have a great point on charger.  Most RTR does come with 'cheap' charger that's no good for the longevity/health of the battery, but most importantly, like most things lithium, poor charger/battery combination is a fire hazard.  So please take note to check whether the battery/charger heat up during charge, or don't charge unattended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK3Sg6nsUdY&ab_channel=BigSungHobbies
I quite like this video for the free 'mods'.  Many classic tricks for small chassis RC and even with these 5 tricks, I am sure you would notice a performance difference when driving.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 04:18:13 PM
I got a couple R/c, ones a 1/8 scale nitro that I’ve had since like 96 but have nothing but problems, another which I bought the kid back in like 2004, yet I found one which I wouldn’t mind fixing up which has got to be a 80’s, unique thing is it’s not your normal setup where the motor sits on the back axle and drives it, it’s chain drive four wheel drive, and also four wheel steer! Just needs a good cleaning, a new radio setup, servos, battery, and maybe a motor, I could take the setup out of the nitro, which would leave just motor and battery, idk, always too many other things to do and pay for..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 04:55:18 PM
I got a couple R/c, ones a 1/8 scale nitro that I’ve had since like 96 but have nothing but problems, another which I bought the kid back in like 2004, yet I found one which I wouldn’t mind fixing up which has got to be a 80’s, unique thing is it’s not your normal setup where the motor sits on the back axle and drives it, it’s chain drive four wheel drive, and also four wheel steer! Just needs a good cleaning, a new radio setup, servos, battery, and maybe a motor, I could take the setup out of the nitro, which would leave just motor and battery, idk, always too many other things to do and pay for..
JR
I remembered chain drive back in the 80s, but RC Tech has advanced so much nowadays, it is like heaven and earth when compared to the 80s.  I remembered the migration from brushed motors and Nimh to Brushless motor and lip battery, and there I thought it was a huge leap.  But nowadays the ESC(electronic speed control) which is used for modern touring racing car now has bluetooth capability which will utilize cell phone screenn/app/laptop to fine tune the programming and handling on board.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 05:26:23 PM
I remembered chain drive back in the 80s, but RC Tech has advanced so much nowadays, it is like heaven and earth when compared to the 80s.  I remembered the migration from brushed motors and Nimh to Brushless motor and lip battery, and there I thought it was a huge leap.  But nowadays the ESC(electronic speed control) which is used for modern touring racing car now has bluetooth capability which will utilize cell phone screenn/app/laptop to fine tune the programming and handling on board.
Well, I remember getting my first non-RadioShack r/c which was a grasshopper, the motor it came with was a piece of junk so I saw this other one which was a I think a 50k rpm, oh it was nasty, talk about burn outs! When I flew out to my grandparents I took it with me because my grandfather had a few but his were all RadioShack, so I went to race him one morning, we said, down to the end of the street and back! 3, 2, 1, go! He took off and I just sat there, he yelled at me, are you going to go? Yeah I’m just giving you a head start! He got all the way down to the end and had to go alll the way over to one side of the street and turn to turn around to the other side, and I took off! Went strait down! Hit the end turned the wheel hit reverse then stepped on the gas, so I just did a 180 in a dime, then bolted straight back and crossed the finish line about 5ft before him :whistle: oh was he pissed!
Yeah the speed control used to be one of those servos across the plates but the I switched it out, sooo much better! That’s the nice thing with getting hobby r/c you can just upgrade, unlike RadioShack, idk if their still in business?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 05:31:44 PM
Well, I remember getting my first non-RadioShack r/c which was a grasshopper, the motor it came with was a piece of junk so I saw this other one which was a I think a 50k rpm, oh it was nasty, talk about burn outs! When I flew out to my grandparents I took it with me because my grandfather had a few but his were all RadioShack, so I went to race him one morning, we said, down to the end of the street and back! 3, 2, 1, go! He took off and I just sat there, he yelled at me, are you going to go? Yeah I’m just giving you a head start! He got all the way down to the end and had to go alll the way over to one side of the street and turn to turn around to the other side, and I took off! Went strait down! Hit the end turned the wheel hit reverse then stepped on the gas, so I just did a 180 in a dime, then bolted straight back and crossed the finish line about 5ft before him :whistle: oh was he pissed!
Yeah the speed control used to be one of those servos across the plates but the I switched it out, sooo much better! That’s the nice thing with getting hobby r/c you can just upgrade, unlike RadioShack, idk if their still in business?
JR
Hahaha...that's a good story!

I remember those servo controlled ESC 'plate', way back when, a 5-speed control was considered a great upgrade.  And now we have ESC with ABS function and racing/acceleration/deceleration profile, crazy!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 05:48:18 PM
Here I found a pic of what we were working on, definitely needs some work!
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $178.00
PayPal Fees: $9.99
Net Balance: $168.01
Below Goal: $131.99
Site Currency: USD
56%