Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best sharpening angle for Vic steel blades?

Offline dawgvet

Best sharpening angle for Vic steel blades?
on: August 11, 2021, 06:21:28 AM
I was wondering what sharpening angle most of you were using for the steel in the Vic blades?  I know the steel is kinda soft so a low angle like 17 degrees is not going go work. What about 20-25 degrees? I'm afraid to go too low and the edge will just roll. Any input appreciated.
Thanks

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Best sharpening angle for Vic steel blades?
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 06:57:37 AM
I asusme you are talking about SAKs and not kitchen knives? I sharpen my SAKs at 40° (20/20) and it works fine  :tu:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Re: Best sharpening angle for Vic steel blades?
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 07:00:58 AM
I sharpen a lot of plane irons, wood chisels, as well as knives. Raising a bur is the most important thing when sharping blades. I start corse oil stone to grind the edge. I start with the blade angle on the stone as I start to draw the blade on the stone I put a little more angle on the blade at the end of the stroke I drop the of the blade to drag the blade back and repeat until I raise a bur replete on the other side of the blade. Next start honing using a fine stone then a Arkansas stone the sane way you used the corse stone. Finish up on a leather strop and green buffing compound.. your knife will shave hair. It sounds hard but its not it only takes about two minutes to sharpen a knife after you get the hang of it. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD