Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need pin stock

us Offline DavZell

Need pin stock
on: May 03, 2021, 06:29:41 PM
Good morning, fellow SAK'ers. I am doing some modding on 91mm SAK's.  The pin stock I've gotten is of poor quality compared to what I used on my first mod, despite being from the same supplier (which I admit was no-brand).  It bends instantly when peening.  Both diameters (smaller and larger) perform the same, yet I had no problems with either size before, so I don't *think* it is my technique.  They also bend in hand much easier than the last piece from before.  It could be quality, brass content, or level of hardening, I suppose.

Anyway, I am in need of pin stock, preferably from a US source so it doesn't take too long, and of a known good, consistent quality.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
David

My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Re: Need pin stock
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 04:09:46 PM
I’m in the same boat- looking for some good quality brass rod stock for mods. Finding the 2.5 mm seems much easier than finding the 2.2 mm. A good US based source for both sizes would be awesome however I’ve yet to find one That carries both sizes. But I have not searched high and wide as of yet.

I found this 2.5 mm brass rod stock on Amazon made by K&S Precision Metals it’s 2.5mm Diameter X 300mm Long, 4 Pieces per Pack, Made in The USA (i’m not sure if it’s OK to post links to things on Amazon let me know if it’s OK and I will) here is a pic of it.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with this brand or could possibly recommend a better source for some good brass stock as well so I’ll just be here eating some popcorn don’t mind me...
 :popcorn:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 06:58:40 AM
.I have been using K and S brass rod it’s pretty hard that makes it hard to peen. Next knife I mod I am going heat the rod with a torch and let it cool to soften the rod.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline DavZell

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:22:45 PM
.I have been using K and S brass rod it’s pretty hard that makes it hard to peen. Next knife I mod I am going heat the rod with a torch and let it cool to soften the rod.

I would be careful about softening too much, as you may face my issue.  I'm not sure if mine are soft or just not the right/best quality/composition.

Let us know how it goes.
My Mods: 58mm Workshop, 91mm Picnicker, CyberCompact
Some Fav's: long nail file models, vintage unusual stainless
Quirk: I like the metal file more than the wood saw

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 03:11:19 PM
Thanks for that Mike very helpful information
 :cheers:

us Offline knifecoop

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 05:50:19 PM
One option, if you have the tools, is to take an oversize rod stock and turn it down to fit. This can be done quite nicely using a metal lathe. In a pinch a simple way is to mount a short piece of pin stock in a drill and run it turning the opposite way against a running belt grinder, you  can carefully sand it down to fit. Note this takes some practice to have consistent results, but will work.
Cheers!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD