Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advice on a multitool for a nail biter

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Advice on a multitool for a nail biter
on: May 06, 2021, 12:25:12 AM
Friends, I'd like to get some advice from you awl. 

I'm looking for a birthday gift for a friend, and of course, it's going to be a multitool.  I'm not sure which one to get.... but here is a bit of a profile of the user/uses

I go camping with him frequently.  He's not a "knife guy", and I don't expect that he is going to EDC the tool (prohibited at his job).... hopefully he will carry it on weekends and on outings. 

He's got a nasty habit of biting his nails down to the first knuckle... otherwise, I'd have gone straight for a Victorinox Camper.  The tool needs to have a bottle opener, corkscrew, and of course a blade. 

- I'm thinking of the SOG Powerlitre, and the reviews suggest he would be able to get the tools out
- I thought of the Gerber Armbar Cork, but I don't think he will be able to get the tools out from the center layer without any nails
- I thought about the Leatherman Free series because nails arent needed, but theres no corkscrew.
- Swisstool Spirit: I don't have a particular price limit, but this is pushing it.  Also, the tools use a nail nick. 
- Swiza?  I've heard that one need not have nails to open the tools

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Advice on a multitool for a nail biter
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 01:15:26 AM
Old school SOG would be my best suggestion.  Something like a PowerLock maybe.  They are built like tanks and have large slots in the tools to pull the implements out.  Plus they clump a lot so you can haul them all out easily and put back the ones you don't want.

The last benefit is that you can adjust the tension, making it even easier to pull stiff out of it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 06:18:57 AM
Victorinox Wine Master would have all three functions in one tool.  Although the main blade has a nail nick, it looks to me like it could be pinched open.  Perhaps someone who owns one could confirm?  Definitely expensive though.

For much less money, you could get a Victorinox Alpineer (OHO or the standard version can be pinched open), add something like the Gerber Shard, Leatherman Brewzer, Nite Ize DoohicKey, etc. to the key ring, and call it good.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 09:00:13 AM
Give him a toothpick.

I used to bite my nails as a kid and well into my teens, but I stopped with only a toothpick. After two weeks with the toothpick as an oral fixation, I didn't even need it.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 12:07:10 PM
I don’t bite my nails but I have weak nails that break easily.The Swiss Army knife toothpick can be used to open Swiss Army knife tools. Using this trick will make any Swiss Army knife with a toothpick workable for your friend.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 02:39:07 PM
He's not likely to become a daily carrier or aficionado, but as a nail biter he could probably use some scissors so I think any Victorinox that has both scissors and nail file.  Even a Classic would be good for that, and you might be able to get limited edition scales that have something to do with his other interests so it would be special to him.  If that doesn't quite seem right I would consider a Leatherman Wingman.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 04:05:14 PM
This is always a hard one for me when the person has not carried a tool.  I'd think for the camping scenario theres alway a knife needed at some point?  I'd go 111mm SAK.  One of the OHO models would be nice for sure.  If it adds scissor and saw that'd be cool.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 04:26:18 PM
I love my little Power Pint, the tools come out easily without needing a nail, adnt he pliers are far more useful than you'd think, for the size of the tool. Has scissors too, but they're more or less worthless for nails, because they're so blasted thick. (Why doesn't SOG bevel-cut their scissors before putting an edge on them?!?). They're good enough to trim a hangnail, ish, but not get really close. Great for zip ties though.

If you take corkscrew out of it and just go for something fun, then another option is the SOG Sync I Traveler. It has no blade, so wouldn't be prohibited at his workplace. It's really slick and fun to use. No nails needed. Get him a leather belt with it so he doesn't have to buy one tho. The Sync II weighs a metric ton, and the tools don't make sense (locking scissors but non-locking phillips driver?!?)  but the Sync I is lighter and comfortable to wear and the backsprings are actually stronger and the toolset makes sense.

Charles.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:12:59 PM by ChopperCharles »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 06:08:53 PM
Get him any knife you want... and gloves.

Or castor oil flavoured nail polish.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 11:03:26 PM
Get him any knife you want... and gloves.

Or castor oil flavoured nail polish.

:cheers: :salute:

:rofl:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 11:16:39 PM
He's not likely to become a daily carrier or aficionado, but as a nail biter he could probably use some scissors so I think any Victorinox that has both scissors and nail file.  Even a Classic would be good for that, and you might be able to get limited edition scales that have something to do with his other interests so it would be special to him.  If that doesn't quite seem right I would consider a Leatherman Wingman.

The nail-biting habit of his makes it nearly impossible to open the tools on a Vic when he's handed one.  So I've been considering a Leatherman Free for that reason. 

This is always a hard one for me when the person has not carried a tool.  I'd think for the camping scenario theres alway a knife needed at some point?  I'd go 111mm SAK.  One of the OHO models would be nice for sure.  If it adds scissor and saw that'd be cool.     

The OHO Vics would be good because the blade is easy to open, but the other tools wouldn't be that simple.

Thats why I'm thinking of Swiza - apparently you can pinch the blades open pretty easily, with the fingertips

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 11:20:14 PM
Maybe attach a thin washer to a lanyard to aid in opening the other tools? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 04:40:14 AM
Maybe attach a thin washer to a lanyard to aid in opening the other tools?
Probably the simplest and cheapest option.  Of course, there are purpose built knife picks available.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%