Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Annoying pop up ad

Nix · 13 · 2630

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Annoying pop up ad
on: May 06, 2021, 04:17:12 PM
Mods and tech gods,

There is a new and pernicious pop-up ad detracting from my MTo experience. I've start using my ad blocker....which doesn't help MTo.

The pop up can be dismissed, but it pops up again anytime the screen is refreshed or a new page is open.

My issue is twofold: 1) there is a delay between the page being refreshed and the ad popping up (and being distracting) and 2) the ad obscured part of the page.

The ads on the side bar are fine....even amusing at times.

Can we please remove the pop-up ads?  :think:

:cheers:

Nix

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Annoying pop up ad
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:41:34 PM
Yes we have a new ad that appears at the bottom of the site and yes its taking up some real estate, sorry for that.  We very much appreciate our regular donations and any donation made to the forum.  Boss knows you all work hard and he'd love nothing more than you buying yourself new sharps or spend the money on your family or however you want.  The reason for the ad,  its potentially a way to generate steady revenue needed for the operational cost.         

A note from me personally,

A great many give generously to the forum and its so very much appreciated  :hatsoff:.  There are times however when we ask for more support during certain months.  It's a little awkward for me personally but I do understand.   I guess we ( maybe just me ) expect to come here and enjoy like any website without cost to ourselves.  Again maybe its just me  :dunno:.  I see the side bar with the monthly costs as well as the other relevant info.  ( maybe its just me ) I figure that befalls the owner of the site right?  I visit other sites and don't have to pay.  I also, as many of you, experience ads popping up on those sites in addition to other pop ups inundating me while growing sites.  Its nice to come here and not have that, until recently.  I've always appreciated boss for not crowding this site with every possible ad or pop up.  I know its come at an expense ( his pocket ).       

If the ad brings a steady stream of reliable income to MTO then I will adjust to it.  While my experience on the forum means having to dismiss the ad for each new refresh, its not so bad.  I'm not getting anything terrible ad wise either, just a lot of Vegas and some life insurance stuff  :D.  Yes the ad takes space and it would be great if it were somewhere less obvious but I am sure all that was considered.   

I have enjoyed a level of freedom here on MTO without intrusive ads and without a lot of what other sites have.  I don't purposefully visit certain sites cause I have to agree to this and dismiss that just to see the rest of the page  :twak:.  In my 8 years here I always enjoyed coming on and not having to dismiss anything or agree to this or that.   Its been great BUT its come at a cost.  Our site runs well and we post a lot of pictures.  I don't know all the tech stuff behind what it takes to run a site but I know part of it is money.  I feel very thankful over the years to be able to enjoy this site easily.  Yeah we have ads but as Nix shows they are off to the side.  This one is smack dab at the bottom and its notable till you disable.     

I'd ask that we try to adjust to the ad and let's see if benefits the MTO operational fund.  Who knows it may not and in that case it may not be "worth" it being around  :dunno:.  What I can say is the boss is always putting us first so believe me when I say this ad was not spur of the moment or meant to distract from the MTO browsing experience.  Yes its a change that may be beneficial and we'll have to make a IMO a small adjustment for the good of the site.     

In the time it took me to type this the ad has not reappeared after dismissing it.  I even waited a little while and its still not reappeared.  I went and made lunch then took out my trash cans to the street and its still not reappeared.  Not bad actually  :tu:.       

I would again ask that everyone do their best to adjust to the ad for now, please.  We've all have had to make adjustments I know,  its "another thing", its gets annoying.  It starts to become a series of adjustment when all we want is "back to normal".  Not sure how it looks on the mobile site as I use my desk top.  I hope its as easy to dismiss as it is for me. 

Thank you very much.   

Regards,

Aloha.
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 12:20:39 AM
There are ads?  :think:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 04:23:19 PM
Yes we have a new ad that appears at the bottom of the site and yes its taking up some real estate, sorry for that.  We very much appreciate our regular donations and any donation made to the forum.  Boss knows you all work hard and he'd love nothing more than you buying yourself new sharps or spend the money on your family or however you want.  The reason for the ad,  its potentially a way to generate steady revenue needed for the operational cost.         

A note from me personally,

A great many give generously to the forum and its so very much appreciated  :hatsoff: .  There are times however when we ask for more support during certain months.  It's a little awkward for me personally but I do understand.   I guess we ( maybe just me ) expect to come here and enjoy like any website without cost to ourselves.  Again maybe its just me  :dunno: .  I see the side bar with the monthly costs as well as the other relevant info.  ( maybe its just me ) I figure that befalls the owner of the site right?  I visit other sites and don't have to pay.  I also, as many of you, experience ads popping up on those sites in addition to other pop ups inundating me while growing sites.  Its nice to come here and not have that, until recently.  I've always appreciated boss for not crowding this site with every possible ad or pop up.  I know its come at an expense ( his pocket ).       

If the ad brings a steady stream of reliable income to MTO then I will adjust to it.  While my experience on the forum means having to dismiss the ad for each new refresh, its not so bad.  I'm not getting anything terrible ad wise either, just a lot of Vegas and some life insurance stuff  :D .  Yes the ad takes space and it would be great if it were somewhere less obvious but I am sure all that was considered.   

I have enjoyed a level of freedom here on MTO without intrusive ads and without a lot of what other sites have.  I don't purposefully visit certain sites cause I have to agree to this and dismiss that just to see the rest of the page  :twak: .  In my 8 years here I always enjoyed coming on and not having to dismiss anything or agree to this or that.   Its been great BUT its come at a cost.  Our site runs well and we post a lot of pictures.  I don't know all the tech stuff behind what it takes to run a site but I know part of it is money.  I feel very thankful over the years to be able to enjoy this site easily.  Yeah we have ads but as Nix shows they are off to the side.  This one is smack dab at the bottom and its notable till you disable.     

I'd ask that we try to adjust to the ad and let's see if benefits the MTO operational fund.  Who knows it may not and in that case it may not be "worth" it being around  :dunno: .  What I can say is the boss is always putting us first so believe me when I say this ad was not spur of the moment or meant to distract from the MTO browsing experience.  Yes its a change that may be beneficial and we'll have to make a IMO a small adjustment for the good of the site.     

In the time it took me to type this the ad has not reappeared after dismissing it.  I even waited a little while and its still not reappeared.  I went and made lunch then took out my trash cans to the street and its still not reappeared.  Not bad actually  :tu: .       

I would again ask that everyone do their best to adjust to the ad for now, please.  We've all have had to make adjustments I know,  its "another thing", its gets annoying.  It starts to become a series of adjustment when all we want is "back to normal".  Not sure how it looks on the mobile site as I use my desk top.  I hope its as easy to dismiss as it is for me. 

Thank you very much.   

Regards,

Aloha.

I was just about to report the same issue (even checked other browsers just incase it was my laptop  :ahhh )

I understand the reasons with donations falling short every month  ::)

If all the active members donated just $5-10 USD every month then I'm sure we could cover the costs  :dunno:

I'll continue donating as this site is briliiant (as are all the members) However, this ad is very intrusive and will stop me browsing whilst at work which, unfortunatley for me, is where I spend most of my waking day  :crash:

Take care all  :tu: :cheers:
They don't like it up 'em!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 12:57:12 PM
As you can see, the ad below has been removed.  Initially we had only installed it for a trial period...

For the record though, that was not a "pop up ad" as those are very annoying, and not something we would ever consider on this site.  A Pop Up ad is one that literally pops open a new window in front of what you are doing.  Pedantic maybe, but still an important distinction.

And, while donations are appreciated, I am very much looking forward to the day when we do not rely on them.  Each of you works hard for your money, and I have always been of the mind that you should all spend your money on things you want, or, if things get desperate enough, your family and/or loved ones.  :P

Ad services are a great way to fund the site without taking money from members, and so we keep experimenting with them whenever possible.  The user experience (a $5 buzzword I hate BTW) is very important to us, as I am certain you can all see from the minimal amount of ads we run in general.  Seriously, look at other forums and see how many ads they are all running and compare that to what we have here.   :ahhh

And, for the record, you should have all heard the uproar when we first started running AdSense....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 02:35:23 PM
 :cheers:

Ad blocker turned off.  :2tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 03:03:17 PM
Excellent.  Appreciated.   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 03:28:40 PM
Just curious. What is the actual cost per month? And is there a way to fund it and when funding is reached a way to remove for just a month?
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 03:55:33 PM
I think the powers that be resolved it. I haven't noticed an issue recently.....

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 04:10:10 PM
I think the powers that be resolved it. I haven't noticed an issue recently.....
Yes but it would be nice to see 0 ads. And as stated I was just curious :tu:
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 04:14:08 PM
I'd imagine with any ad service the money generated is "over time".  As for installing for a month or so till a dollar amount is reached then removing the service  :dunno:.  These services use analytics to "learn" how to directly market to their intended audience.  Their goal is generate income for themselves and the companies they promote so again I'd imagine the use of such a service would be over time vs short period. 

Thats my take but I'm sure there is more to it.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 04:34:26 PM
Yes but it would be nice to see 0 ads. And as stated I was just curious :tu:

:iagree:  I expect that if more of us donated to the operational fund on a more regular basis, we could be add free.  :dunno:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 01:08:10 PM
What does a site like this cost per month?

Well, it's not cheap, and we are on the edge of having to jump up to a bigger server package, so the short answer is "more."

As for there being 0 ads, the reason we have ads is because I really don't want member money.  You guys all work hard for your cash, and you deserve to enjoy it.  You shouldn't have to waste it on a website, especially when other groups (like FB for example) are completely free.

Fact is, if you look far enough back on the forum, you will see the Donation thing was something I started under duress- members wanted it, and I was very much against it from the get go for the reasons mentioned above.  Eventually I relented... but honestly I have never been comfortable doing it.

And, the Mods will back me up on this, I am so uncomfortable with it, they have taken on reminding people to donate (usually a few days before the server bill is due) because I really don't want to ask people.

I'd rather we found a way to be 100% advertiser supported without the ads becoming too intrusive.  MTO Members deserve better than to be inundated with ads, or be guilty into paying to keep the lights on.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%