Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newest EDC item we don't think about!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Newest EDC item we don't think about!
on: May 07, 2021, 12:53:55 PM
Now that we have been in this global pandemic for over a year we all have a new everyday carry item that we seem to be avoiding talking about.

That should change because like it or not it is an everyday carry item for all of us and that is a mask.

And over a year in you should all have some pretty cool ones by now! Here is the one I tend to use most often and now i want to see yours!

Def
16203846762310.jpg
* 16203846762310.jpg (Filesize: 137.7 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Newest EDC item we don't think about!
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:03:32 PM
I just use the surgical kind. Disposable, so there's less chance to be in contact with the virus, if it sticks to the mask. Also it's got three layers, which not all fabric masks have, and is certified.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 03:27:14 PM
I just use the surgical kind. Disposable, so there's less chance to be in contact with the virus, if it sticks to the mask. Also it's got three layers, which not all fabric masks have, and is certified.

:worthless:

:D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 03:28:19 PM
I have a pic somwhere on here from early in the year when it was still cold :think: I will track it down and show what all we have to wear ::) :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 03:33:35 PM
With and without the safety glasses ::)

I just noticed Dewalt is upside down in the pic :facepalm: :D

It is one of my favorite ones though :cheers:
20201117_082703_copy_883x1177.jpg
* 20201117_082703_copy_883x1177.jpg (Filesize: 187.73 KB)
20201117_082633_copy_883x1177.jpg
* 20201117_082633_copy_883x1177.jpg (Filesize: 224.13 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 04:24:47 PM
Thanks for posting the pic without the glasses, so we know you didn't just dress up a watermelon and pretend it was you!   :D

Of course you have talked your way out of a DeWalt endorsement deal by wearing it upside down! 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 04:28:36 PM
 :iagree:

:rofl: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 06:28:37 PM
I had a few 3M N95's in the beginning and also some homemade masks my brother made. I've been wearing KN95's since last summer.

20210507_112033.jpg
* 20210507_112033.jpg (Filesize: 195.17 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 07:11:48 PM
Another one of my favorites.  :D

Def
16204074413720.jpg
* 16204074413720.jpg (Filesize: 159.41 KB)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 08:36:24 PM
I get a lot of medical grade masks from the School Board that I keep at work. I tend to wear them a few days to a week because they get more comfortable the longer I wear them. At home, I have a stash of different types. When COVID struck, I was trying out all sorts of masks to find out what was most comfortable and offered the most protection. Unfortunately, I bought a few of those cloth masks that feature a breathing valve on one side...that was before I read that they offered the lest protection...carbon inserts or not. I also have a small stash of face shields at home. That was before the school gave me one for work. I quickly found out that I cannot work with it on as I cannot see my students a few feet away due to water vapour buildup. They now issued me a pair of science safety goggles. Being a science teacher, this is an improvement over those face shields. At least I am now working from home and do not have to worry about all of that.

Here is my home stash of masks. I prefer the medical ones above all else.
20210507_142354A by Chako, on Flickr

And the 3 new face shields I also have at home.
20210507_142444A by Chako, on Flickr
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 08:36:49 PM
Thanks for posting the pic without the glasses, so we know you didn't just dress up a watermelon and pretend it was you!   :D

Of course you have talked your way out of a DeWalt endorsement deal by wearing it upside down! 

Def

Oh man :ahhh It was the Dewalt sales rep that gave it to me as well :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

us Offline edc yes

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 12:01:16 AM
.......And over a year in you should all have some pretty cool ones by now! Here is the one I tend to use most often and now i want to see yours!

Def

Does it count if you collect new disposables...?
The 'vid had just got rolling, and fun masks weren't super common. One day, I 'customized' a mask not knowing if it'd go over. Spur-of-the-moment sharpie in the parking lot before I went into the Lowe's. Got a chuckle and some kudos from the younger-person at the register. Sample picture only. Keeping a small qty. in minimum three places edc nowadays.
covid memory.jpg
* covid memory.jpg (Filesize: 106.78 KB)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 12:13:08 AM by edc yes »
-Craftsman/Sheffield box cutter, color of the day
-NXT700 (700/NXT hybrid)
-The year before last year's portable electronic interface (holster modded)
-Mountainsmith Day Pack, mildly modded

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 06:06:01 AM
You guys made me feel bad.

I just can't figure which is better?

Sleepy eyes?
20210507_145825A by Chako, on Flickr

or

Murder eyes?
20210507_145828A by Chako, on Flickr

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 04:07:33 PM
You guys made me feel bad.

I just can't figure which is better?

Sleepy eyes?
20210507_145825A by Chako, on Flickr

or

Murder eyes?
20210507_145828A by Chako, on Flickr

The first are murdery for me. Like Robert de Niro's "I'm watching you" face.

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

This is pretty much how I look, too, minus the MTo cap. Heck, it's pretty much how everyone looks, now...

:facepalm:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 06:04:59 PM

I removed part of the filter, leaving the meshy, outside layer.  This allows me to breathe like a real human, while still engaging in the inane, collective-appeasing, virtue-signalling game of wearing a "mask" even though I've been fully vaccinated.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 08:20:05 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
I removed part of the filter, leaving the meshy, outside layer.  This allows me to breathe like a real human, while still engaging in the inane, collective-appeasing, virtue-signalling game of wearing a "mask" even though I've been fully vaccinated.

You do realise the vaccine is not a magical cure, right? Hope you and yours stay safe.

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 09:31:25 PM
Surgical Masks here or N95 if traveling in Public in a crowd.
I am not sold at all on the Merit of any Cloth Mask and I am sure never going to wash them either so the disposables are the way I go.

I also can not really see most of the time with fogged glasses and every trick that I have tried only made it worse.

On construction jobsites no one seems to wear anything at all ever so I have that going for me too?

The Valved N95 masks also work just fine to protect the wearer but they do little to filter the outgoing air breathed at the helpless victims thats all,I can not for the life of me understand why or how this seems so complicated to so many people? :dunno:

It seems clear that the harder it is to breath through a mask the better the job it is doing and the opposite is surely true as well.

And yes I did call you Shirley!

I also can not figure a good way to carry a mask unless just sticking it on my face?

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 10:27:37 PM
You do realise the vaccine is not a magical cure, right?

Well, what Pfizer and Moderna have done in the span of a mere several months comes pretty close to magic.  The power of the free market to save the world is truly astonishing.  #bigpharma

Recognizing that others will have a different thought process, here's mine.  The World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control, and the chief medical advisor to two American Presidents, along with Pfizer, Moderna and the world political-media establishment are in universal agreement that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 85-95% effective in preventing symptomatic infections [the Cleveland Clinic puts that number at 95%], and are virtually 100% effective in preventing infections requiring hospitalization.  That being the case, and unless one's goal is zero risk, there is no objective reason to wear a mask after receiving a course of Pfizer or Moderna vaccines.  The problem is that there is no such thing as zero risk in this world, even if you wear a mask.  It all comes down to risk vs. reward.

I've had 2x Pfizer vaccines, so it makes no sense for me to wear a mask if my goal is to avoid a symptomatic infection, reasonably avoid infecting others and to avoid hospitalization.  The vaccine already does that for me.  Is the risk zero?  No.  Just like the risk of any other contagion.

Since the numbers are not at issue, this is not political and it isn't a debate.  I'm relying on those numbers, including the percentage of the U.S. population already vaccinated (108,000,000 Americans fully vaccinated as of yesterday) plus tens of millions who have had one vaccine, plus those who acquired immunity through illness.  To those who wish to keep wearing a mask after acquiring immunity, I say more power to you.  Just recognize that you may be doing it for reasons other than preventing illness.  For my part, immunity renders moot the demand for wearing a mask, especially in the greater context of about half of all adult American's having innate or acquired immunity.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 11:23:33 AM
Logic aside, masks are a legal requirement in many areas, and while legality often has little or nothing to do with "right" or "good," the reality is that many of us are legally required to wear them, regardless of the status of your vaccinations.

Due to this requirement, I felt it was an excellent opportunity to showcase a new (and often personalized) EDC item. 

We are in no way, shape or form attesting to or commenting on their usefulness in various scenarios.  Everyone's situation is different, and we trust members to make their own determinations on whether to wear a mask, or what kinds of masks they wear.

In short- this is a site for sharing, not for judging.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 07:03:33 PM
Logic aside, masks are a legal requirement in many areas, and while legality often has little or nothing to do with "right" or "good," the reality is that many of us are legally required to wear them, regardless of the status of your vaccinations.

Due to this requirement, I felt it was an excellent opportunity to showcase a new (and often personalized) EDC item. 

We are in no way, shape or form attesting to or commenting on their usefulness in various scenarios.  Everyone's situation is different, and we trust members to make their own determinations on whether to wear a mask, or what kinds of masks they wear.

In short- this is a site for sharing, not for judging.

Def

Pretty much this. I don't think anyone likes to wear a mask. Those who do, do it for a number of reasons. Those reasons vary from people to people and from place to place.

Same with the type of mask. Different people make different choices, influenced by where they are and what's around them.

I probably shouldn't have commented on powernoodle's post. I let my reality and my point of view overcome something more important: the respect for other's ideas and freedom of choice. It wasn't my intention, but I still did it.

Sorry. This is a good reminder for me to better myself. Not a total fail if you learn from it, right?

:cheers: :salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 07:55:19 PM
I think we are all adults here, and not going to take things personally or hold grudges over a simple difference of opinion.  :D

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 08:28:32 PM
I think we are all adults here, and not going to take things personally or hold grudges over a simple difference of opinion.  :D

Def

Yes, I know. Still, I think one should acknowledge when one has had a not so correct attitude. I like to think I respect others, with different ideas and opinions, but sometimes I don't act like I do. A reality check from time to time is a good thing, it keeps us humble and more aware of our own faults.

:cheers: :hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 05:33:34 PM
Mask aren't as much required here now as they were even a month ago and things are much more lenient if you are outside :salute:

Still in stores or inside of buildings I still wear them no matter what :cheers:

If others don't it doesn't bother me and I wear them for others more than myself :tu:

Today it was more for me because temp were in the 40s F this morning and we have been much warmer lately and this makes it feel much colder :ahhh

So here was a chance to get a pic of me with the same Dewalt gaiter with the writing the correct side up this time :whistle: :D
20210510_102128_copy_883x1177.jpg
* 20210510_102128_copy_883x1177.jpg (Filesize: 225.99 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 05:43:41 PM
Mask aren't as much required here now as they were even a month ago and things are much more lenient if you are outside :salute:

Still in stores or inside of buildings I still wear them no matter what :cheers:

If others don't it doesn't bother me and I wear them for others more than myself :tu:

Today it was more for me because temp were in the 40s F this morning and we have been much warmer lately and this makes it feel much colder :ahhh

So here was a chance to get a pic of me with the same Dewalt gaiter with the writing the correct side up this time :whistle: :D

Dude, c'mon!

:pok: :pok:

You got it backwards. Now, the letters are going from right to left.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 06:29:54 PM
He is just messing with those with OCD.  :rofl:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 07:26:21 PM

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 08:09:14 PM

:iagree: :whistle:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 01:26:58 AM
Well, what Pfizer and Moderna have done in the span of a mere several months comes pretty close to magic.  The power of the free market to save the world is truly astonishing.  #bigpharma

Recognizing that others will have a different thought process, here's mine.  The World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control, and the chief medical advisor to two American Presidents, along with Pfizer, Moderna and the world political-media establishment are in universal agreement that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 85-95% effective in preventing symptomatic infections [the Cleveland Clinic puts that number at 95%], and are virtually 100% effective in preventing infections requiring hospitalization.  That being the case, and unless one's goal is zero risk, there is no objective reason to wear a mask after receiving a course of Pfizer or Moderna vaccines.  The problem is that there is no such thing as zero risk in this world, even if you wear a mask.  It all comes down to risk vs. reward.

I've had 2x Pfizer vaccines, so it makes no sense for me to wear a mask if my goal is to avoid a symptomatic infection, reasonably avoid infecting others and to avoid hospitalization.  The vaccine already does that for me.  Is the risk zero?  No.  Just like the risk of any other contagion.

Since the numbers are not at issue, this is not political and it isn't a debate.  I'm relying on those numbers, including the percentage of the U.S. population already vaccinated (108,000,000 Americans fully vaccinated as of yesterday) plus tens of millions who have had one vaccine, plus those who acquired immunity through illness.  To those who wish to keep wearing a mask after acquiring immunity, I say more power to you.  Just recognize that you may be doing it for reasons other than preventing illness.  For my part, immunity renders moot the demand for wearing a mask, especially in the greater context of about half of all adult American's having innate or acquired immunity.

There's nothing scientific about your view.  It's 100% political. 

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 02:54:44 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 03:00:17 PM
Which is exactly why we aren't going to discussing those details, but instead, showing our masks if we want to.   :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%