Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newest EDC item we don't think about! 2456

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 26,445
Re: Newest EDC item we don't think about!
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 03:08:00 PM »
 :salute:

The masks with digital faces always make me take a second look.  A young girl had one with cat whiskers that also made me look twice.  Not that I thought she had a mustache but I hadn't seen one yet.  I initially was looking for one like the Winter Soldier ( Bucky ) but settled on disposable one use masks.   

Esse Quam Videri
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 62,504 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 06:24:21 PM »
Facebook keeps showing me ads for reflective face shields and all I can think of is Cobra Commander.

Next time I see it I'll grab a screenshot.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
No Life Club Posts: 1,693
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 06:49:12 PM »
I have been seeing more and more of the clear masks too and those things are just wrong to me!!!!

And more than a little terrifying too for some reason?

I think the Title of this thread is really off too,this is likely something that every one of us has been thinking about for the last 16 months in some way or another and I still have no idea how to safely carry a Mask unless on my face?
Anyone have a good idea????
No Life Club Posts: 2,869
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 11:59:40 PM »

The masks with digital faces always make me take a second look.  A young girl had one with cat whiskers that also made me look twice.  Not that I thought she had a mustache but I hadn't seen one yet.  I initially was looking for one like the Winter Soldier ( Bucky ) but settled on disposable one use masks.

I actually like the ones that look like the print of a necktie or scarf.  I just walked past a tall guy in a black overcoat who was wearing a red necktie and a face mask to match ....  one day in the distant future, these might become a fashion statement.  Handkerchiefs of the modern era, if you will. 

At this point, I find it easy enough to throw a cloth mask in the hamper each day with my underoos and socks.  Put seven of them in the laundry each week.  I wear a disposable mask to double up most of the time, but the cloth ones that have a filter pocket are good enough on their own with a coffee filter tucked in.  Early last year I accidentally bought way too many coffee filters in bulk.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:07:48 AM by ElevenBlade »
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 71,300
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2021, 02:03:02 AM »
I don't bother with the filters anymore :D I caught Covid last May while wearing a mask with a filter :dunno:  We were at the point that we didn't have access to N95s or Kn95s and that was the next best thing but maybe not ??? I faired rather well with Covid unlike many others  :salute: Only having a fever maybe one night :think: I sweated a lot that one night and that was the end of it for me :salute: I did lose my sense of smell for a bit but it returned after a week or so and basically I got a 2 week paid vacation from work :like:

We had several of our people on the job that ended up testing positive and had few to no symptoms like me :cheers: We did have a few that were worse and some even ended up in the hospital :( Thankfully we had no fatalities on the job I was on, even with the large number of positive cases we had :ahhh We did however have one of our people on another crew at another project who did die though :facepalm: I knew him and he was a great guy, he did have some other health issue that were against him though :-[
No Life Club Posts: 1,821
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 05:25:49 AM »
I don't bother with the filters anymore :D I caught Covid last May while wearing a mask with a filter :dunno:  We were at the point that we didn't have access to N95s or Kn95s and that was the next best thing but maybe not ??? I faired rather well with Covid unlike many others  :salute: Only having a fever maybe one night :think: I sweated a lot that one night and that was the end of it for me :salute: I did lose my sense of smell for a bit but it returned after a week or so and basically I got a 2 week paid vacation from work :like:

We had several of our people on the job that ended up testing positive and had few to no symptoms like me :cheers: We did have a few that were worse and some even ended up in the hospital :( Thankfully we had no fatalities on the job I was on, even with the large number of positive cases we had :ahhh We did however have one of our people on another crew at another project who did die though :facepalm: I knew him and he was a great guy, he did have some other health issue that were against him though :-[

Sorry for your loss Poncho

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 05:36:34 AM »
I use KN95 disposibles, my father's factory are issued them en masse so I actually have a pretty good supply of them at the moment. I keepy several in the car, one in a jacket pocket (with some gloves and hand sanitiser) and a disorderly pile in the bedroom.

We backed a fancy mask on Indiegogo and are waiting for ours to be delivered (we got in late), it's a pretty tight face seal with small disk filters and a UV-C light filter for incoming air  :ahhh

I have neither caught covid yet, nor received any vaccinations and am currently still at risk from my weight so I do it up to the nines. My partner caught it around the end of last year and has had both shots, the second was like having it again for her (and her covid symptoms were pretty severe). To this day she still has some breathing issues (now has an inhaler for the first time) and has some trouble losing trains of thought/finding words (covid brain).

I like the look of some of the cloth masks and maybe once I eventually get both doses I can find a cool one  :dunno:

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 62,504 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »
Sorry about your coworker Poncho.  It's a terrible thing to happen.

Fortunately, while I have had a few scares (both my parents have had extended hospital stays since the pandemic began, fortunately not covid related, but with reduced immunity issues) I haven't had much on the way of direct contact with it.

Of course, while my area has been relatively untouched by COVID, complacency is dangerous and we have recently begun spiking with cases, partially due to people moving here to escape worse areas and not following the quarantine guidelines.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 02:01:41 PM »
Thanks guys :hatsoff:

Covid is an odd disease for sure :facepalm: some it barely does anything to while others have the worst experience in their life and even death :-\ I hope we are at the other end of the tunnel with it here in the US and my heart goes out to India whom last year had less trouble than the US but is having a very hard time with it now  :facepalm:
No Life Club Posts: 1,323 Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 03:24:46 PM »
it is an everyday carry item for all of us and that is a mask.

Def

Actually it is not an EDC for me.

The only times I use one is when it is required of me, which is not very often. I've had to put one on to go into the hospital, though I take it off once I'm in the room where my loved one is. (on the way through the halls, I see custodians with their masks down around their chin, and nurses at the nurse's station gabbing away with their masks hanging off their ears). I've had to go into the hospital several times since masks started (Baby P was born Dec. 1 for instance).

I have had to wear one a few times to get into certain offices or meetings. I thought I would be asked or required to wear one at the meeting for the closing on our house at the lawyer's office a few weeks ago, but they did not require us to, and my wife, myself, and our real estate agent went into the meeting fee-faced. When the buyer saw us like that, he took his mask off too, though his agent, his wife, and the lawyer kept theirs.

My chiropractor and all his staff do not wear masks. I try to only go to restaurants where the employees are free to not wear masks if they choose (we have found several restaurants like that around).

We don't wear masks where I work. I stopped Uber driving because they forced me to wear a mask.

Our church does not require masks, and most of the people who attend (typically all) do not wear one. We also don't social distance.

We lost my father-in-law in January (Covid finished him off, he was in very poor health for many years). But we have seen the compelling evidence that masks do not help in any meaningful way to prevent the transmission of this or any other virus. (tight-fitting masks with HEPA filtration would, but those are not the masks we see people running around with). Long-term wearing of masks is actually harmful to people, especially those who are most vulnerable to health problems. That includes me, since I have respiratory issues. Masks trap residue at your face and cause you to breath it in and absorb it through the skin. For a short time, that's not a problem. Wearing all day becomes quite a problem.

I've been around people a lot. I've been exposed to it quite a few times, including when my mother-in-law and father-in-law came down with it. My wife and some of the kids had symptoms. I had some very slight symptoms for a day or so. Thankfully I did not come down with it as much as my wife did, and she shook hers off after a couple days.

I may get it yet. I'm not worried. I've lived my life ready to die at a moment's notice since I was 20 (and actually before that). Life is an opportunity for me to live for God, death is not something to be embraced or avoided. Like many of those around me in South Carolina, I choose to live my life as a free man as nature intended, showing my face and interacting with people in a normal way.

I fully realize not everyone sees it this way, and many of my friends and family members disagree with me. I am not offended by others' views, nor insisting that anyone else adopt mine.

So as far as the EDC thing is concerned, I don't.

This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?
No Life Club Posts: 2,869
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »

The only times I use one is when it is required of me, which is not very often. I've had to put one on to go into the hospital, though I take it off once I'm in the room where my loved one is. (on the way through the halls, I see custodians with their masks down around their chin, and nurses at the nurse's station gabbing away with their masks hanging off their ears). I've had to go into the hospital several times since masks started (Baby P was born Dec. 1 for instance).

I have had to wear one a few times to get into certain offices or meetings. I thought I would be asked or required to wear one at the meeting for the closing on our house at the lawyer's office a few weeks ago, but they did not require us to, and my wife, myself, and our real estate agent went into the meeting fee-faced. When the buyer saw us like that, he took his mask off too, though his agent, his wife, and the lawyer kept theirs.

My chiropractor and all his staff do not wear masks. I try to only go to restaurants where the employees are free to not wear masks if they choose (we have found several restaurants like that around).

We don't wear masks where I work. I stopped Uber driving because they forced me to wear a mask.

Our church does not require masks, and most of the people who attend (typically all) do not wear one. We also don't social distance.

We lost my father-in-law in January (Covid finished him off, he was in very poor health for many years). But we have seen the compelling evidence that masks do not help in any meaningful way to prevent the transmission of this or any other virus. (tight-fitting masks with HEPA filtration would, but those are not the masks we see people running around with). Long-term wearing of masks is actually harmful to people, especially those who are most vulnerable to health problems. That includes me, since I have respiratory issues. Masks trap residue at your face and cause you to breath it in and absorb it through the skin. For a short time, that's not a problem. Wearing all day becomes quite a problem.

I've been around people a lot. I've been exposed to it quite a few times, including when my mother-in-law and father-in-law came down with it. My wife and some of the kids had symptoms. I had some very slight symptoms for a day or so. Thankfully I did not come down with it as much as my wife did, and she shook hers off after a couple days.

I may get it yet. I'm not worried. I've lived my life ready to die at a moment's notice since I was 20 (and actually before that). Life is an opportunity for me to live for God, death is not something to be embraced or avoided. Like many of those around me in South Carolina, I choose to live my life as a free man as nature intended, showing my face and interacting with people in a normal way.

I fully realize not everyone sees it this way, and many of my friends and family members disagree with me. I am not offended by others' views, nor insisting that anyone else adopt mine.

Glad to know you have no concern or consideration for anyone else's life. Fortunately it seems like in your are in an area where nobody cares.

I'll see myself out.
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
This is a thread to show off your masks, not debate their validity.  Like a lot of issues, that one has become politicized and we have no desire to discuss politics here.

Def

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2021, 05:42:43 PM »
 :iagree: I will say I wear them for others more than myself :salute:

This thread was only meant to show our masks off and not meant as a debate or anything political :cheers: If you choose to wear them or not it is fine by me but I respect the choice for those that do :shrug:
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2021, 05:56:51 PM »

Come on y'all.  Regardless how you feel about the masks folks are wearing them even if you don't.  If you don't then this thread has nothing to do with you unless you are here to make political statements or share your views on why you don't. 

If you want to post a pic of you and your mask awesome.  If not, move along and let those who do feel free to do so without having to defend themselves on why they chose to.   

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2021, 06:14:14 PM »

If you don't EDC one then perhaps you shouldn't have posted on the topic, which was quite clear. If you don't wear one regularly for whatever reason then maybe you should have just posted the kind you use when you do wear one, despite how we might be tempted at times MTO is not a soapbox.

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,708 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2021, 06:44:04 PM »
If you don't EDC one then perhaps you shouldn't have posted on the topic, which was quite clear. If you don't wear one regularly for whatever reason then maybe you should have just posted the kind you use when you do wear one, despite how we might be tempted at times MTO is not a soapbox.

Well said.  :salute:

AND ALL THE FUTURE POSTERS SHOULD FOLLOW THOSE WORDS :police:

As for my wearing ways, and to answer SOS's question....

I wear two, always when at work and anytime indoors at a public place like banks, hospitals, shopping, ... One is the regular surgical disposable mask, and on top if it to double up a washable one. When not in use, and for carrying it, I fold the surgical mask in half, then roll it up, and then place it inside the reusable one and roll that one up around it an secure it in place by hooking one of the ear loops around it all. So the important part is kept clean and by doubling up the surgical mask is kept in place and doesn't slide off of my nose when I talk.

I've lost 3 relatives and one very good friend to this so I'm not taking my chances.
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2021, 06:55:54 PM »
Well said.  :salute:

AND ALL THE FUTURE POSTERS SHOULD FOLLOW THOSE WORDS :police:

As for my wearing ways, and to answer SOS's question....

I wear two, always when at work and anytime indoors at a public place like banks, hospitals, shopping, ... One is the regular surgical disposable mask, and on top if it to double up a washable one. When not in use, and for carrying it, I fold the surgical mask in half, then roll it up, and then place it inside the reusable one and roll that one up around it an secure it in place by hooking one of the ear loops around it all. So the important part is kept clean and by doubling up the surgical mask is kept in place and doesn't slide off of my nose when I talk.

I've lost 3 relatives and one very good friend to this so I'm not taking my chances.

Sorry for your losses enki.

I think if I were to use a cloth mask I'd probably double up like yourself. I used a surgical one once (I had absent mindedly forgotten my usual kind and it was what was to hand), it was so unpleasant I made sure it didn't happen again! The KN-95 ones I have fold in half along the middle of the mask, so they create a cavity to breathe into, the surgical mask just sat on my beard which got soaked faster than normal.

Since the pandemic I only really go to the store once a week, I can get most things online anyway and lost my in person employment last year, so I've taken to just not wearin my glasses when masked up as well. I couldn't get away with this if I had to wear one whilst working, but my vision is good enough that I can navigate just fine and read things within arm's length, so no fogging up!

No Life Club Posts: 2,141
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2021, 04:35:45 AM »
Whys, wherefores, and politics aside, suffice it to say that I rarely wear a mask.  When I do, a bandanna seems to check the box just fine.  I usually have/had one or two bandannas in my pockets, even BC (Before COVID).  Just plain old paisley bandannas, though I have acquired various colors over the years.

The only problem seems to be that when I wear one, I get the strange urge to hold up a stagecoach.   :D
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2021, 03:41:32 PM »

The only problem seems to be that when I wear one, I get the strange urge to hold up a stagecoach.   :D

:iagree: :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

:rofl:

:like:
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,409 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2021, 05:44:37 PM »
The last posts were becoming a little gloomy, so...

:hatsoff:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 1,693
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2021, 02:23:48 PM »
Well it looks like some of us are going to be giving this even less thought now than even Yesterday!

Now why didn't I just move to Ohio before I got the Shots?!? :twak:
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »
I seem to lose or permanently stain masks (don't ask) so I try to pick up a few new ones here and there.

This is today's haul.  I was pretty annoyed as I found some really cool ones with classic arcade stuff on them, but then inrealized they were for kids.

What smurfing kids nowadays know anything about 80's arcade games like Space Invaders?  No way they would appreciate it the way someone like me would.

Damned kids get all the cool stuff.....

Def
16212638225070.jpg
* 16212638225070.jpg (Filesize: 152.78 KB)
16212638225371.jpg
* 16212638225371.jpg (Filesize: 181.65 KB)

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2021, 05:29:35 PM »
Once the CDC made their statement regarding those fully vaccinated can do with masks ( paraphrased )  I've seen a lot of folks going without over the weekend. 

Still wore my disposable one while working this weekend.  I also used a cloth one over as it was very dusty and windy.  I can report no issues with breathing but glasses do fog. 

After work I went to pick up something my partner bought.  The guy was not wearing a mask and as I got out of my truck putting on mine he said not to bother.  I put on my mask and said its no bother.   

Esse Quam Videri
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,409 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2021, 11:26:41 AM »
Once the CDC made their statement regarding those fully vaccinated can do with masks ( paraphrased )  I've seen a lot of folks going without over the weekend. 

Still wore my disposable one while working this weekend.  I also used a cloth one over as it was very dusty and windy.  I can report no issues with breathing but glasses do fog. 

After work I went to pick up something my partner bought.  The guy was not wearing a mask and as I got out of my truck putting on mine he said not to bother.  I put on my mask and said its no bother.   

Pretty much the same. When someone on a queue I'm in gets so close they seem to want to hug me so as to make a new friend, I just step aside and let them take my place, moving half a dozen feet back.

You don't have to keep your distance, I'll keep mine.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 3,631
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2021, 01:55:17 PM »
Pretty much the same. When someone on a queue I'm in gets so close they seem to want to hug me so as to make a new friend, I just step aside and let them take my place, moving half a dozen feet back.

:iagree: :tu:

They don't like it up 'em!
No Life Club Posts: 3,175
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2021, 04:56:04 AM »
Disposable masks for me. I have worn a full face respirator once before to the grocery store and no one even batted an eye.  :whistle:

I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings
No Life Club Posts: 4,927 Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2021, 04:58:29 AM »

I like this idea.  I think I'll do this next time I'm in a queue and someone behind feels the need to crowd me.   :tu:

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2021, 04:39:55 AM »
Early on I was at a store and sneezed, talk about clearing a room  :facepalm:.

With our June 15th no mask or social distancing required locally we'll see how it goes.  I try to give enough negative energy to folks who like to crowd me so they'l back off.  If that doesn't work then I tend to be very clumsy ( think bull in china cabinet ).  If that doesn't work then I look them directly in the eye and ask them if they see a spider on me to let me know.  I tell them I had a family living on me but I cannot seem to catch them.  I tell them I feel them on my but don't see them  :rofl:

Esse Quam Videri
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,492
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2021, 07:07:16 AM »
:tu:

I look them directly in the eye and ask them if they see a spider on me to let me know.  I tell them I had a family living on me but I cannot seem to catch them.  I tell them I feel them on my but don't see them  :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hero Member Posts: 793
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2021, 09:52:40 PM »
Only one I've got a photo of myself in - it's based on an old seat covering from a local train operator. :D

I've seen a huge decrease in the number of people wearing one out and about recently. I can't imagine the government announcement yesterday will help matters, either. :think:

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $62.47
PayPal Fees: $4.40
Net Balance: $58.07
Below Goal: $241.93
Site Currency: USD