Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tip for adding a hex bit driver

SteveP · 23 · 4031

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Tip for adding a hex bit driver
on: May 09, 2021, 07:14:12 AM
If you have a SAK with the inline Phillips screwdriver, like the Champion or SwissChamp, I ran across a sturdy way to add a hex bit driver.

I received a Leatherman knockoff for a gift several years ago, a Winchester WinFrame Multi-Tool (22-41473). It comes with a 0.25 inch hex bit converter and a tool holder with 6 hex bits. Well, the converter is only about 1mm wider than the square shaft of the inline Phillips blade. If I slide a paperclip between the Phillips and the inside of the converter, it's a nice snug fit. Plus the converter is magnetized so it stays on the end of the inline Phillips.

Using the converter, I can use any 1/4 inch screw driver hex bit, nut driver hex bit, (with an adapter) sockets, even an extension bar for more reach.
Hex bits.jpg
* Hex bits.jpg (Filesize: 487.84 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
84mm: Bantam
85mm: Evolution S557, Serrated Commander, Traveler, Evolution 18
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Tip for adding a hex bit driver
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 10:23:46 AM
That's a great tip  :tu: you can also glue in a piece of cable insulation or a small bit of thin plastic for a permanent solution
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 04:42:46 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, magentus. Though I like having a paperclip handy as well.  :)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Cavalier, Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Spartan, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 06:40:42 AM
Much appreciated to both of you.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 07:23:53 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, magentus. Though I like having a paperclip handy as well.  :)
It is a handy item to have on your person  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 11:21:11 AM
That's a great tip  :tu: you can also glue in a piece of cable insulation or a small bit of thin plastic for a permanent solution

+1

Or use shrink tube, it might work better than the cable isolation.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 11:22:49 AM

Nothing wrong with having a MacGyver multitool on you awl the time.

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 11:24:52 AM

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 06:45:53 PM

I've lost track of the number of times I've used a paperclip to push a reset button on something or push in the end of a spring bar in a watch bracelet. Even occasionally to hold some papers together!  ;)
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 05:44:19 AM
I've got to make an update/correction to this...

Though the hex bit converter from the Winchester Multi Tool is a standard 1/4" socket, the driver hole on the other side is not 1/4". It's slightly smaller, about 5mm. And it sure seems like a 5mm driver just doesn't exist. So trying to get another converter without buying the whole knife kit just isn't happening. (The cheapest I could find the knife was used on eBay for $18. Kind of expensive just to get the converter.) Winchester must have had these custom made to fit the Phillips shaft on their multi tools.

But I've got an alternative if you have a SAK with the cap lifter/large slotted screwdriver. Sockets made for a 1/4" drive will slide right over the screwdriver tip. Use a 1/4" socket and you can drop in whatever hex bit or hex extension that you want. The only downside is that nothing in this setup is magnetic so it will slide apart when tilted. Maybe some electrical tape as need to hold everything together? Or a tiny rare earth magnet in the driver hole of the socket?

Sorry for the confusion.
Hex bits 2.jpg
* Hex bits 2.jpg (Filesize: 122.79 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2021, 01:57:19 AM
One more update on this...

I was messing around this morning and found that the Winchester converter (with paperclip inserted) fits well on the cap lifter/combo tool on my MiniChamp, especially if I jam in a second small paperclip.

So if you carry a 58mm SAK with the combo tool and another SAK with pliers, you could put a screw driver bit or socket on the combo tool, use the pliers on the other SAK, and tighten nuts and bolts or anything else you need to grip while screwing into.

I couldn't get a 1/4" drive socket to fit over any tool on the MiniChamp. All of the tools are too narrow and just spin in the socket drive hole.

Does that justify buying the Winchester knife to get the converter? Your call.   ;)

SAKs:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 01:17:41 AM
Or......

.... you can just get one of these: -> https://www.facebook.com/pg/SAKlip3D/photos/?ref=page_internal, a great light weight Sak hex adapter to be used with any sak with a bottle opener.....  no mods needed..... :whistle:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 03:36:39 AM
Or......

.... you can just get one of these: -> https://www.facebook.com/pg/SAKlip3D/photos/?ref=page_internal, a great light weight Sak hex adapter to be used with any sak with a bottle opener.....  no mods needed..... :whistle:

Well that is a really interesting idea! Do you have one? Can you offer a little review?
SAKs:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 06:09:13 PM
Well that is a really interesting idea! Do you have one? Can you offer a little review?

Unfortunately i didn't ordered one yet, was dead set on getting a couple, but then this bloody pandemic hit big time and have been working at home for almost a year now...  :-\ so it became a bit irrelevant for the time being for me....
A mini champ is enough for 90% of my needs for now, with an occasional Climber or Deluxe Tinker.... Have all my tools near by, so the need for SAK SD is pretty limited.
But i'll definitely get a couple when things get back to normal. As long as you don't go crazy on the torque and use it with in Sak use limitations it's a great solution IMO  ;)
There are a couple of reviews on YT though.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 01:59:39 AM
MacGyver,

Thank you for the pointer to the YouTube reviews. The SAKlip looks really interesting, but I'm a little concerned about putting torque on a plastic bit socket.

I was able to solve the problem of a 1/4 inch drive 1/4 inch socket sliding off the cap lifter blade by putting a little bit of adhesive putty in a corner of the drive hole and another little bit pushed in the socket side to hold the bit. The putty feels like Silly Putty, but is sticky like Post-Its. Loctite makes some called Fun-Tak, though mine is yellow and I've had it for years.

So, spare socket + old putty = socket and bit solution for $0.

I'll definitely give the SAKlip creator points for creativity, but at 9 Euros for the clip and another 4 Euros shipping, that's $16 for a small piece of plastic.   :(

By the way, I like your SAK choice. A MiniChamp has been my daily carry for 25 years. Great little knife that does a lot. I usually also have a SwissChamp in my pocket, but I'm thinking of getting a Climber for when the SC is too big. I looked at the Deluxe Tinker, but prefer the corkscrew over the backside Phillips. And I can add a Phillips with my socket solution.   ;)
SAKs:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 01:39:51 AM
Steve, I am a bit kit Greek. I started bedding SAK cap lifters using J-B Weld to fit 1/4 socket to 1/4 hex adapters. I will leave a link on the bottom of this post.
I did search some Lows stores and Amazon stock the adapter for five dollars each. I found a new easy way to fit the adapter to a SAK cap lifter by putting simply Tacky inside the 1/4 socket side of the socket adapter it holds adapter on nicely.

I played around with a 1/4 socket with the simply Tacky and it worked well but it did not hold the socket very well. A 3mm magnet super glued to the bottom of the bit fixed that. A Leatherman square drive adapter will also fit a SAK inline screwdriver.

Here is the link for using J-B Weld to fit adapters https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20136.0.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:45:51 AM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 12:03:57 PM
Steve, I am a bit kit Greek. I started bedding SAK cap lifters using J-B Weld to fit 1/4 socket to 1/4 hex adapters. I will leave a link on the bottom of this post.
I did search some Lows stores and Amazon stock the adapter for five dollars each. I found a new easy way to fit the adapter to a SAK cap lifter by putting simply Tacky inside the 1/4 socket side of the socket adapter it holds adapter on nicely.

(Image removed from quote.)

I played around with a 1/4 socket with the simply Tacky and it worked well but it did not hold the socket very well. A 3mm magnet super glued to the bottom of the bit fixed that. A Leatherman square drive adapter will also fit a SAK inline screwdriver.

Here is the link for using J-B Weld to fit adapters https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20136.0.html

Sounds a bit tacky, but if it works for you...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline kakashi

Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 01:29:25 AM
If a 1/4 socket fits onto the large screwdriver, just magnetise it?

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 04:39:29 AM
If a 1/4 socket fits onto the large screwdriver, just magnetise it?

I haven't been able to magnetize the cap lifter blade enough to hold the socket securely. Putting a small magnet in the socket might work.

Right now I'm happy with using the Winchester hex bit converter. Though I've since found that some Gerber multi-tools have the same hex bit converter and bit set that came with my Winchester, so that's an option too for anyone who's looking.
SAKs:

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 05:21:24 AM
I have made adapters using 6mm magnets bedding the adapter like you would a rifle action to a stock. The simply Tacky (the same as blue tack) for hanging pictures it is non harding works just as good and you and it is easy to do plus you can use one adapter for SAKs, Wingman, Free series tools and on and on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 03:25:04 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I have done almost the same: JB Weld on the inside of a socket. I added small neodynium magnets  (Amazon or Ebay sourced) into the JB Weld before it set up, and the lockup to the SAK is great. You can literally swing the SAK around holding the adapter, yet they still break apart when you want them to.

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 01:03:48 AM
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post that I've found a source for the Gerber/Winchester hex bit kit, without having to buy the multitool to get it!   :woohoo:

I saw several of the same Gerber/Winchester multitools on eBay, but as no-names. Assuming these are coming out of China, I took a look at AliExpress.com and found multiple listings for this screwdriver bit set. Apparently they're for Ganzo G200 and G300 multitools.

Most were under $3 !

Nearly all the reviews said the bits were junk, but - funny enough - many of the reviews said they bought the kits just for the bit coupler to use with other multitools.  :)

And you get the rubber bit holder with it, so you can put in better quality bits.

I bought two from the Daicamping Multitools Store. We'll see what shows up in a month or so.
SAKs:

00 Offline Jmoita

Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 08:09:34 PM
1/4 bit adapter fits perfectly in the SD/caplifter of my Explorer  No gap, it doesnt fall if vertical.
Awesome.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD