Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just saw the viewer special of Survivorman, really let down

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
I was interested to see it after not getting around to it for a few years now but honestly bleh the whole thing just felt...

Punitive.

The guy is asked to pick two survival items as priority and voices his thought process assumes being with Les... because he came on a show with Les. Then the reveal happens of not getting anything else and it ends up feeling like a gotcha moment for a couple reasons:

-Les has never been that ill equipped, he usually has a few items and then his multitool on top of that , having a random clearly underskilled fan play by tougher rules than he normally does?

-I get the whole 'you can get separated from your partner' thing, I do, but the whole thing about choosing two items completely defeats that. Why would you ever go away from camp/hiking with literally nothing on your person but a hatchet and waterbottle? Could it happen, sure I guess but it's more incredibly unlikely challenge (like the restrictions on Alone contestants) than actual survival simulation like Les wants to produce. Then there's the fact that he isn't separated, he has the reocurring emotional sucker punch of Les telling him repeatedly he's leaving him to twist in the wind, yet telling him he wants to be able to rely on him?

This whole thing just seemed like a set up to show how hard surviving is, but at the expense of the person and realism. Yet when he films with his son (who presumably has a decent amount of skill Les has pressed upon him over the years) it usually looks more like camping than anything else?

When Les did start to more actively help it also felt like he just made things worse honestly, that guy was never going to push forwards through a horrendous swamp (or probably choose it on his own) without Les deciding and leading the way.

This wasn't a teaching exercise, it was just uncomfortable to watch and that made me a little sad, I love the show  :-\
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I have not seen it...but not overly surprised. I lost interest in him when he did that series about Bigfoot a while back.

What you stated sounds like something Bear would do.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
I have not seen it...but not overly surprised. I lost interest in him when he did that series about Bigfoot a while back.

What you stated sounds like something Bear would do.  :think:

I've not seen one of Bear's shows since he first got big, like 14/15 years ago?  :think:

Now that you mention it the extremeness of it did seem more Bear than Les, it was unnecessarily tough for what it was...
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Bear - Promotes Gerber, uses Gerber.
Les - promotes Camillus, uses Leatherman

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I guess that could be an interesting topic as well- Bear Grylls versus Les Stroud...

On the one hand we have a sensationalist with good tools that he rarely uses, and on the other hand we have a proper survivalist that rents his name up to whomever comes to his door with a spare dollar or two.   :facepalm:

Def

from an older thread

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
At whatever point in their careers it clearly became a business.  By that I mean it was and is about money. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
For everyone, it always is. Got to make a living somehow.  :dunno:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
Les is reaping the benefits now he has been publishing all of the content on his YT channel, the pandemic brought him a resurgance in popularity.

Overall I like his content a lot (disclaimer: I haven't seen the bigfoot series), it was just jarring to see such hypocrisy for shock value when I'm sure fans and that guy in particular would have been waiting almost a decade for a chance like that.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I find both entertaining  - Les when he interacts with other people and Bear in general

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%