Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wrist lanyard challenge - ideas?

SteveP · 17 · 1019

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Wrist lanyard challenge - ideas?
on: May 13, 2021, 02:21:01 AM
My challenge was to create a wrist lanyard for my SwissChamp.

Requirements:
- At least 3 feet of paracord.
- Use 95 paracord as I don't want the bulk of thicker paracord.
- Not interested in a fob design as I want to be able to put it around my wrist when I really don't want to drop my SAK.
- Here's the tough-to-meet requirement: Be able to "reassemble" the paracord lanyard quickly when I'm done with it, so I'm not left with a pile of paracord.

In the pictures is what I came up with.

I can undo the inner-most and middle knots to make a loop to go around my wrist. I can undo the third knot to make the one long piece.

To reassemble it, fold the long piece in half, then in half again. Loop through key ring. Tie the three knots.

I'm completely new to the braided paracord idea so open to any ideas for improvement.

(And in case anyone is looking closely, my first attempt here is only about 32" long.)

Lanyard 1.jpg
* Lanyard 1.jpg (Filesize: 485.81 KB)
Lanyard 2.jpg
* Lanyard 2.jpg (Filesize: 444.33 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Wrist lanyard challenge - ideas?
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 02:49:08 AM
Welcome to MTo.   :waving:

Interesting challenge.

Why a minimum of three feet (1 meter)? 

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 04:32:38 AM
Basically an arbitrary number for a shorter strand. I keep a small coil of 10 feet in a kit nearby, but wanted a shorter strand handy as well.
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 04:41:00 AM
OK, second attempt...

This is actually 48" of paracord. Folded in half, then folded in thirds, then held with two knots.

Undo the inner-most knot to get the wrist loop and the other knot to get the full length.

And I think the red just looks better!

Lanyard 3.jpg
* Lanyard 3.jpg (Filesize: 448.34 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 07:18:04 PM
Red looks good.  :tu:

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 07:55:36 PM
I use a cobra weave for lanyards, and stick a safety pin and paperclip inside to weave part.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 10:17:13 PM
OK, second attempt...

This is actually 48" of paracord. Folded in half, then folded in thirds, then held with two knots.

Undo the inner-most knot to get the wrist loop and the other knot to get the full length.

And I think the red just looks better!

Simple straightforward and looks good.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 05:06:10 AM
For anyone still interested in this, my 3rd (and final?) attempt...

36" of 95 paracord, folded in half, then half again. Three knots to hold it together. So just like my first attempt, but 4" longer and in red.

The 48" length folded in half, then thirds, with having to loop multiple strands through the key ring to hold it was just too fiddly. And all those strands made the knots bigger than I liked.

The big addition this time is that I used a Sharpie to mark 1" intervals for the first foot, then 6" intervals for the rest. So now I have a yardstick on my knife.  :)  I wouldn't want to do a construction project with it, but the next time my wife and I are out at some home decorating store and she wants to know how big something is, I'm set!
Lanyard 4.jpg
* Lanyard 4.jpg (Filesize: 499.16 KB)
SAKs:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 05:09:43 AM
I use a cobra weave for lanyards, and stick a safety pin and paperclip inside to weave part.

Interesting idea, thanks BePrepared. I've heard of other people securing things inside paracord fobs and bracelets.

I've already got a safety pin in a small EDC kit in my pocket and have a paperclip on my SwissChamp itself, held in place with the corkscrew.
SAKs:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 06:50:00 AM
 :tu: :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 05:19:13 PM

36" of 95 paracord, folded in half, then half again. Three knots to hold it together. So just like my first attempt, but 4" longer and in red.

The 48" length folded in half, then thirds, with having to loop multiple strands through the key ring to hold it was just too fiddly. And all those strands made the knots bigger than I liked.

The big addition this time is that I used a Sharpie to mark 1" intervals for the first foot, then 6" intervals for the rest. So now I have a yardstick on my knife.  :)  I wouldn't want to do a construction project with it, but the next time my wife and I are out at some home decorating store and she wants to know how big something is, I'm set!

I measure stuff with my cane, though I do like the idea of a take apart lanyard. 
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 05:24:42 PM

You do realize that string varies in length, right? You don't get an accurate measurement out of it.

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2021, 01:34:19 AM
Oh, yes. That's why I won't be doing anything detailed with it. But it's good enough for a "close enough" measurement. For me, it's better than an eyeball guess-timate.
SAKs:

ar Offline teno_ioti

• Hey! Cheers from Argentina!
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 09:02:08 PM
Does this count ?

Or similar:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 20, 2021, 03:58:29 AM
Does this count ?

Or similar:

They look really nice, thank you for posting them. A little longer than what I'm wanting though.   :(
SAKs:

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2021, 01:40:43 PM
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

ar Offline teno_ioti

• Hey! Cheers from Argentina!
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 09:46:40 PM
They look really nice, thank you for posting them. A little longer than what I'm wanting though.   :(

Yes, they are, but can be made a shorter version, I borrow the idea from Stormdrane's blog

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%