Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your SAK pet peeves?

Offline SwissMix2020

Re: What are your SAK pet peeves?
Reply #150 on: April 14, 2021, 09:50:14 AM
:iagree:

scale designs seem to be what they want to capitalize on.  I just saw their 2021 Patterns of the World Classic collection. It looks like their intention is for people to get lots of Classics, with different patters.... their yearly Huntsman iterations.... etc etc

Agreed, its a bit overwhelming and Im debating where to focus my attention as Im becoming partial to Climbers, Huntsman and Alox.  All the worst ones on the wallet.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #151 on: April 14, 2021, 12:20:52 PM
Agreed, its a bit overwhelming and Im debating where to focus my attention as Im becoming partial to Climbers, Huntsman and Alox.  All the worst ones on the wallet.

Forgot damascus and LE...

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #152 on: April 14, 2021, 01:17:52 PM

Alox might be the end of you.  I don't collect, and I am looking at  3 alox SAKs at the moment... because apparently they like to sit at the desk and watch me work. 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #153 on: April 14, 2021, 01:51:24 PM
Alox might be the end of you.  I don't collect, and I am looking at  3 alox SAKs at the moment... because apparently they like to sit at the desk and watch me work.

Must be genetic. My Farmer X is doing the exact same thing...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #154 on: April 23, 2021, 05:02:28 AM
Corkscrews. I know it is one of the oldest tools on these knives, but I find it to bee the most useless.
:cry:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #155 on: April 24, 2021, 03:47:19 AM
:cry:

I'm sure he didn't mean you no harm.

us Offline Ike582

Reply #156 on: April 24, 2021, 05:07:31 AM
I think for many of us eyeglass wearers the primary utility of the corkscrew is its ability to house the mini screwdriver.  While rarely used, it's literally a lifesaver if you need it.  I'd love to see Victorinox integrate the mini screwdriver into the scales, so we could then replace the corkscrew for the phillips.   Total win.

Corkscrews. I know it is one of the oldest tools on these knives, but I find it to bee the most useless.
Ike

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #157 on: April 24, 2021, 05:23:35 AM
I think for many of us eyeglass wearers the primary utility of the corkscrew is its ability to house the mini screwdriver.  While rarely used, it's literally a lifesaver if you need it.  I'd love to see Victorinox integrate the mini screwdriver into the scales, so we could then replace the corkscrew for the phillips.   Total win.

Helvetica Bold made an SD for the toothpick slot: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85532.msg2161230.html#msg2161230

MacGyver made one that stashed under the hook: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85289.msg2186826.html#msg2186826

I made one out of the tweezers: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85533.msg2161246.html#msg2161246

I haven't tried the other two, but the tweezer one works great.

I prefer the corkscrew anyway, but if you're using a Deluxe Tinker or whatever, you do what you've gotta do.

us Offline Ike582

Reply #158 on: April 24, 2021, 05:32:16 AM
Jothra, I like the idea of altering the tweezers, that's great!  What did you use to shave the tweezer arm into the screwdriver?  Metal file?

Helvetica Bold made an SD for the toothpick slot: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85532.msg2161230.html#msg2161230

MacGyver made one that stashed under the hook: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85289.msg2186826.html#msg2186826

I made one out of the tweezers: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85533.msg2161246.html#msg2161246

I haven't tried the other two, but the tweezer one works great.

I prefer the corkscrew anyway, but if you're using a Deluxe Tinker or whatever, you do what you've gotta do.
Ike

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #159 on: April 24, 2021, 06:10:03 AM
Jothra, I like the idea of altering the tweezers, that's great!  What did you use to shave the tweezer arm into the screwdriver?  Metal file?
Yes. They're reasonably soft, so the filing goes pretty quickly. I can confirm from extended testing that the final product holds up.

I made the tweezer SD for my Deluxe Tinker, and if I've got the Victorinox pliers, I don't need separate tweezers anyway.

us Offline Ike582

Reply #160 on: April 24, 2021, 07:43:51 AM
Excellent, thanks for the quick response.  It's great that the tweezers are inexpensive and easy to replace if I don't get it right the first time.

Yes. They're reasonably soft, so the filing goes pretty quickly. I can confirm from extended testing that the final product holds up.

I made the tweezer SD for my Deluxe Tinker, and if I've got the Victorinox pliers, I don't need separate tweezers anyway.
Ike

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #161 on: April 24, 2021, 08:27:47 PM
Excellent, thanks for the quick response.  It's great that the tweezers are inexpensive and easy to replace if I don't get it right the first time.
Agreed. It's one of the most low-risk mods there is. If you do it, share your results. It's fun to see people's ingenuity on display!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #162 on: May 14, 2021, 05:10:41 AM
K ---- a bit of a rant.

If you're going to be "expert" enough to do a review on a SAK and publish it elsewhere online (not MTo)... and you happen to know you dislike the keyring nub on your Alox... Don't go talking about how you are going to grind off the keyring nub until you've carried the SAK around for a while and have yet to decide if you're going to want a suspension clip  :mn:  :rant:

Like literally not yet carried the knife, but you "know" that you like to carry your SAK loose in the bottom of your pocket.... so when you get a new Alox model that we all know is prone to swing into your nether regions if you're not careful.  But, you want to mod the knife already....  :facepalm:

My momma always says - don't add salt to your food until you've tasted it first. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%