Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dreaming here.....84mm Compact

Nix · 71 · 2451

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
on: May 14, 2021, 02:15:15 AM
While I was mowing the lawn, I was thinking about the SAK I'd like if I were hiking the Appalachian Trail of the Pacific Crest Trail.

I think the Vic Classic has become very popular with long-distance trekkers for its functionality and light weight, but for a 2000 mile walk in the woods, I think I'd like something with some more substantial tools. While the Classic has some great tools, I'd like to have an awl as well.

As I considered the available options, it occurred to me that the Compact was pretty close to my ideal long-distance hiking SAK: knife, scissors, nail file, and T&T. The hook might prove useful when handling some hot pots or billy cans in camp. While cans and bottles aren't commonly carried on the trail, during stops in a trail town an opener might prove handy.

On a trail SAK, the corkscrew would likely be dead-weight. True, it could prove handy for untying wet boot laces, but I'd rather have an awl (that belt might need a new hole after 1000 miles or so.....).

So, as long as I'm dreaming, I thought....Compact....with an awl....but smaller (and lighter): the awl-some 84mm Compact. I'd name it the 'Trail Angel'.

Would anyone else be interested in such a SAK?  What would your ideal long-distance, every-ounce-counts, go-the-distance SAK be? Or are you staying with the Classic?  Wish you had gotten an Ambassador when they were available? Don't care about the weight Swiss Champ kinda hiker?

Me...I'm going to keep dreaming and hope that Vic brings back 84mm's with scissors....and maybe makes a more compact Compact.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 03:38:27 AM
Have you considered an Evo14 Nix or even better on a hike Evo17 with added saw, the Evo18 swaps out the corkscrew for a philips

No hook but 85mm, scissors, awl, full opener layer, still lightweight and very capable. Not sure why they get overlooked so much, sure the Vic scissors are a little better perhaps but they’re still very good

:cheers: ET

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Dreaming here.....84mm Compact
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 03:52:50 AM
I've had a couple Evo 18s.  Great knives! Still, a short Compact or even a short Yeoman :D
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 03:54:19 AM
I have a Compact that is itching for some pocket time.. a Classic that's easy to handle with cold fingers!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 04:17:10 AM
I have a couple 3-layer 85mm SAKs. I really enjoy them. Wenger Adventurer & Traveler & Swiss Sportsman. Also a I do prefer Vic scissors, but Wengers are pretty close seconds. For a lengthy period of regular use, the Wengers seem a bit hardier and might actually be a better choice. (No fussy springs to worry about.)

I'll also say that I prefer standard scales to the 'Evo' scales. There is nothing wrong with Evo scales, I'm just more familiar and comfortable with the standard ones. I think an Evo 14 would make a great AT/CDT/PCT knife.  :tu:

However, I was thinking about something a bit more minimal.....or Compact. 

A two-layer 84mm with just scissors, knife, combo tool, hook, and awl would be quite slim, light weight, and easy in the pocket. I think I'd choose a standard 91mm Compact over an Evo 14. I might have to take a closer look at both of those......  :think:

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 04:30:02 AM
The Compact is one of my favorites SAKs.
Maybe due size... In many ocasions I dreamed with a 84mm Compact.
I love the size of the Cadet, but It lack the scissors...
And a really like the combo tool...

The 84mm Compact would be an awl-some SAK

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Sos24

Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 04:41:04 AM
An 84mm Compact would be awl-some, or (even better in my opinion) bring back the Voyageur - 84mm Knife, combo tool, scissors with alox scales.  This would also be my ideal SAK to pair with a plier-based Multitool. 

us Offline Sos24

Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 05:00:59 AM
Have you considered an Evo14 Nix or even better on a hike Evo17 with added saw, the Evo18 swaps out the corkscrew for a philips

No hook but 85mm, scissors, awl, full opener layer, still lightweight and very capable. Not sure why they get overlooked so much, sure the Vic scissors are a little better perhaps but they’re still very good

85mm would be great if they gave the option for plain flat scales.  I have an 84mm SwissBuck that I love, but I cannot stand the Evo knives.  I know they are suppose to be ergonomic, but they just feel so wrong in my hand and bulky in the pocket. 

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 05:26:42 AM
I know they are suppose to be ergonomic, but they just feel so wrong in my hand and bulky in the pocket.

'Supposed to be ergonomic.'  Yeah....they don't feel very ergo to me either. I don't mind them that much, but I really prefer the standard flat scales.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 05:28:01 AM
An 84mm Compact would be awl-some, or (even better in my opinion) bring back the Voyageur - 84mm Knife, combo tool, scissors with alox scales.  This would also be my ideal SAK to pair with a plier-based Multitool.

I'd snap up a new Voyageur.

I'd miss me awl, but the Voyageur would be excellent.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 05:29:31 AM

The 84mm Compact would be an awl-some SAK

:iagree:  ....I think....I'd need one to test out....to be sure.... ;)   

Vic? Hello....? Victorinox....?

au Offline Echotech

Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 05:51:19 AM
85mm would be great if they gave the option for plain flat scales.  I have an 84mm SwissBuck that I love, but I cannot stand the Evo knives.  I know they are suppose to be ergonomic, but they just feel so wrong in my hand and bulky in the pocket.
I don’t mind the Evo scales but agree the flat scales are better Sos…you can pick them up on eBay (not that I have) but a bit ridiculous to buy a new SAK and have to change the scales …I wonder how long VIC will continue with the 85mm Delemont line tbh, they’re already a bit overpriced in comparison to other VIC models and assume not big sellers :dunno:

Definitely with you on the Voyageur :iagree:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 06:09:13 AM
I love the look of the Evo scales but miss the old flat Wenger scales.  The Evo scales just take up too much space in my opinion.  Nix, after reading this I went and got my Compact. It's going to be paired with my Spirit for a few days.  It never occurred to me that this might just be a great hiking knife!  It really is a big Classic.  The tool set is close enough that it covers pretty much everything I use daily.  I've not read many negative reviews on it either.
I carried a Swisschamp on a weekend hike.  At the time I didn't mind the weight, but if all the tools I had, I used the blade and scissors that weekend.  Not even the saw!  I've spent a good bit of trail time with a 58 in my pocket.  Pretty much covers my needs, but the Compact has me curious.  FoBo's modded Yeoman strikes me as pretty much an ideal trail knife.  One night on the Appalachian Trail, Noah and I pitched a tent in a shelter area. Plenty of wood for a fire, but none of it was cut.  There I was with my mighty Minichamp.  Sure glad he had his Hiker!! 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:16:47 AM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 06:22:38 AM
How about a 93mm "Compact" i.e. main blade, awl, & scissors?  Vic currently manufacturers all the necessary parts.  Not much use for openers or screwdrivers on a long trek like that.  Might be nice to have a saw though, just in case.

As it stands, the Farmer X has been my choice for a hiking/camping SAK of late.

br Offline Golivio

Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 08:17:12 AM
I think an 84mm compact would be a great tool but for a long distance híke I’d prefer a victorinox walker, still in 84mm but with saw instead of scissors. Would complement with Classic on the keyring. Other good option is the old 85mm Wenger Lumberjack. Its incredibly lightweight and slim. Id never go to the woods without a saw so a Camper would be a good option, with the awl included and still in a reasonable weight.

Cheers.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 10:34:54 AM
I’m also a big fan of the walker (and hiker) on a hike, but recently I’ve gone back to the farmer, it’s just such a great feel in the hand and 3 layers seems the sweet spot for me, with a PX as urban carry :cheers: ET

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 01:06:52 PM
Have you ever tried modding? Maybe you can score a beat up 84mm Victorinox with scissors easier in the US. Then sacrifice a Waiter and make yourself your dream SAK.

I got my pair of 84mm scissors that way, still waiting in the parts drawer some 8 years later. :facepalm: Never got around on doing it. Did other mods though and it's not that difficult

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 01:38:44 PM
Have you ever tried modding? Maybe you can score a beat up 84mm Victorinox with scissors easier in the US. Then sacrifice a Waiter and make yourself your dream SAK.

I got my pair of 84mm scissors that way, still waiting in the parts drawer some 8 years later. :facepalm: Never got around on doing it. Did other mods though and it's not that difficult

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 02:43:25 PM
  It really is a big Classic.  The tool set is close enough that it covers pretty much everything I use daily. 

:iagree:   Barry your point about the usefulness of the saw is a good one.  :tu:  I can't recall a camping trip where I didn't have a saw with me, either in a knife or a multitool. Very useful for starting a small camp stove or feeding small bits of wood into a wood burning stove. Long distance guys seem to mostly use fuel stove (alcohol, or isobutane) and body heat to stay warm. And while a saw is handy for help to get to dry wood on a wet night, it is possible to start a camp fire without one.

But saw.....brings us back to a Huntsman or Farmer X?   :dunno:   :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 02:48:28 PM
How about a 93mm "Compact" i.e. main blade, awl, & scissors?  Vic currently manufacturers all the necessary parts.  Not much use for openers or screwdrivers on a long trek like that.  Might be nice to have a saw though, just in case.

As it stands, the Farmer X has been my choice for a hiking/camping SAK of late.

Nate, Syph made me a 'Compacter'. Alox, blade, scissors, and in-line awl. It is fantastic. Super slim, very light, and does most of what I need a SAK to do. I think it would make a great trail knife. No nail file.....but I usually pack a small nail maintenance kit anyway. No combo tool.....but that is more of a luxury than a necessity. So, yes! Compacter!  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 02:49:19 PM
Have you ever tried modding?

I have a try and fail in the record books. But I'm willing to try again....  ;)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: May 14, 2021, 02:51:43 PM
:iagree:   Barry your point about the usefulness of the saw is a good one.  :tu:  I can't recall a camping trip where I didn't have a saw with me, either in a knife or a multitool. Very useful for starting a small camp stove or feeding small bits of wood into a wood burning stove. Long distance guys seem to mostly use fuel stove (alcohol, or isobutane) and body heat to stay warm. And while a saw is handy for help to get to dry wood on a wet night, it is possible to start a camp fire without one.

But saw.....brings us back to a Huntsman or Farmer X?   :dunno:   :rofl:
Or My First Vic Plus + 84mm scissors ;)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: May 14, 2021, 02:52:31 PM
I think an 84mm compact would be a great tool but for a long distance híke I’d prefer a victorinox walker, still in 84mm but with saw instead of scissors. Would complement with Classic on the keyring. Other good option is the old 85mm Wenger Lumberjack. Its incredibly lightweight and slim. Id never go to the woods without a saw so a Camper would be a good option, with the awl included and still in a reasonable weight.

Cheers.

Sound reasoning. I find the scissors get used more frequently than the saw. But...I do love my little Vic Saws. Adding a Classic is sort of cheating in this game: I was looking for a knife to replace the Classic as a long-distance trail knife. I'm really surprised by how many ultra-light long distance hikers carry only a Classic. Maybe the lesson here is: don't underestimate the Classic.   :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: May 14, 2021, 02:54:04 PM
Or My First Vic Plus + 84mm scissors ;)

I've never used an 84/85mm saw. For me the 91/93mm saws are marginally short. The 130mm saws rock!  How do the 84mm saws work in the real world?   :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 14, 2021, 03:01:50 PM
I've never used an 84/85mm saw. For me the 91/93mm saws are marginally short. The 130mm saws rock!  How do the 84mm saws work in the real world?   :think:

Personal preference I guess. I haven't used an 84mm Vic one, but the Wenger 85mm rocks, comparable to the 91mm one. And I personally don't like the 130mm one, too thick and you have to remove more material when sawing. The 111mm one works far better for me. That's why the Outrider is my go to for outdoors if I'm not carrying the Laplander/Mora Clipper combo.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 04:26:40 PM
So, as long as I'm dreaming, I thought....Compact....with an awl....but smaller (and lighter): the awl-some 84mm Compact. I'd name it the 'Trail Angel'.

84mm Golfer is what you're looking for, but it won't be easy to find (pictured center below).  I'm not sure how you would incorporate an awl though.  :think: I think your best bet would be to start with a Delemont 14 and mod it.

SAKWiki - 84mm Golfer

- Terry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 05:18:21 PM
I did an informal test between Vic, Wenger and Leatherman saws awhile ago.  All three are really good, but the Wenger seemed to be the most aggressive.
I carried my Huntsman, exclusively, for everything 32 years and never needed anything else.  It's retired now, but it's a great platform.  You're right Nix about that Classic.  It's been my workhorse for awhile now and Cbl51 is right: they're a lot tougher than they look!  With that and a small camping saw (Opinel), I think you're covered in most cases on the trail.  Shoot, for the cost, you can even get a few backups :rofl:
Barry

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 06:27:55 PM
Um....in a situation like you described, I would say the SwissChamp would be the way to go....nothing wasted.... Hardly noticeable in the pocket.... YMMV....
 :whistle:
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 06:51:45 PM
84mm Golfer is what you're looking for, but it won't be easy to find (pictured center below).  I'm not sure how you would incorporate an awl though.  :think: I think your best bet would be to start with a Delemont 14 and mod it.

SAKWiki - 84mm Golfer

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh, yeah!  Why didn't I think of that?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 06:55:21 PM
Personal preference I guess. I haven't used an 84mm Vic one, but the Wenger 85mm rocks, comparable to the 91mm one. And I personally don't like the 130mm one, too thick and you have to remove more material when sawing. The 111mm one works far better for me. That's why the Outrider is my go to for outdoors if I'm not carrying the Laplander/Mora Clipper combo.

Indeed, the 111mm saws are great, too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD