Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The inner workings of a Victorinox Signature Lite (Midnite Manger / Minichamp)

de Offline elements

• New User
  • Vertias - Iustitia - Libertas
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and couldn't find any information on the inner workings (i. e. mechanics) of the 58mm models with pen and led.

Considering that scales and other parts are now reatively easy to come by online I was wondering if I could modify some of the simpler models like the Classic SD or Rambler by adding a pen or a led or both.

So, I was wondering if any of you have ever removed the scales from any of the following models:

- Signature
- SwissLite
- Mangager
- MiniChamp
- Midnite Manager
- Midnite MiniChamp

First the easy one: the removable pen. Is there some kind of mechanical device or spring inside the scale other then the gray push button?
The button and the scale as well as a replacement pen can be bought seperately. So it should be easy to add them to your existing models...unless there is something else hidden in the scales.

Next one: the led scales with cross and shield button. What is beneath the scales other than the battery? Is there some kind of wiring or metallic inlay you need to install? The battery, the scale with the cross&shield hole as well as the little locking device for the battery are available as replacement parts.
So the question is, what else do you need to install the led and where can you get these parts? Does anyone know?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

I’m a big fan of the  manager series and have several variations on the tools. Its also my first choice when giving a SAK as a gift. I’ve successfully added the pen to a rambler (it’s sometimes cheaper than buying a manager) but my favourite has been adding the pen to a Jetsetter. This is almost my favourite EDC paired with a Cadet and Nitecore Tiki.
As for the LED? No such luck. It’s a discrete electronic unit in its own right. I assumed you could get spare units like everything else but they’re hard to find if not impossible. Some of the folk have done mods with standalone LED units but it’s beyond my humble skillset. You could probably watch out for old scrapper knives with intact units and use them for parts. Just be aware that the older version of the LED was red, faint and not held in very high regard as a functional flashlight. The new white ones are much better.
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

de Offline elements

• New User
  • Vertias - Iustitia - Libertas
Thank you for your quick response!

After hours of searching I actually found an old Swiss Bianco video where he swiched the scales of a Midnite Manager showing the backside of the scales.

(intersting part starts at 7'20'')

So, my first question is answered  :) You can add a pen to a 58mm model. You need new scales (specific for pen), the push button and of course a ball pen mine. That's it. I actually saw one of the led units and I guess you cannot get them anywhere other than buying up used led models.

I am looking to upgrade my EDC-keychain and am wondering now which mini SAK to add...
At the moment it only has a Streamlight Nano (keychain light) amd a Dolphin peanut lighter.

Since I am set on having tweezers, toothpick, blade and scissors and for all the tools to be black, I am considering the Classic SD, Rambler and MiniChamp (modified by replacing the pen scale to regular black ones). What would be even more intriguing is a Vagabond but I cannot find them anywhere not even used on eBay.  :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%