Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kea Kit

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Kea Kit
on: June 12, 2021, 11:36:42 PM
I just read about this in a local news article: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beredioutdoors/kea-kit-the-outdoor-survival-system-for-any-adventure/

It's not something I would get myself as I already have everything I need apart from a water filter.
Hopefully it's better than all the gimmicky kits out there.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Kea Kit
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 03:04:05 PM
Seems like a nice comprehensive kit to get started with :tu:

I never did look for a price :think: what did these happen to cost  :dunno: :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 03:34:04 PM
The ferro-rod looks like an Exotac knock-off... don't like that. Also, is probably an indicator for the rest of the gear.
Big fan of doing things right, so if you put a symbol on your firs-aid kit, put the correct one on.

Sorry, this gets the thumbs down from me.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 10:35:02 PM
I never did look for a price :think: what did these happen to cost  :dunno: :D
I don't know much about Kickstarter but it looks like they start at $134USD.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 10:36:31 PM
Big fan of doing things right, so if you put a symbol on your firs-aid kit, put the correct one on.
But red and white won't go with their black and orange colour scheme.  :pok:

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 10:39:24 PM
The simple fact that under the "Why The Kea Kit" chart they imply if you pack it yourself you can be organized puts a bad taste in my mouth. Considering it doesnt look like anything life changing, imo. Hard pass, especially for the price.

Ill pack it myself and be so unorganized  :dunno:

nz Offline Syncop8r

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 06:38:06 AM
I mean I like the idea of it, but it's very expensive for what it is and falls short of a just in case kit in my eyes.

The shelter kit is just a tarp, some pegs and 550 cord... no ground sheet? No emergency reflective blanket?

The multitool looks like hot garbage, the combo edge doesn't help that image. If the headlamp does as advertised with an intuitive UI then it's alright. Why is a whistle not a tool? Why is there no glowsticks or even recommendation of glowsticks?

They include a 'fire kit' (I get they can't ship matches and lighters, but no char cloth, tealight, or anything else?) and then expect you to... what feed a twig fire every two minutes? Why doesn't wouldn't you include a small saw on the multitool to help with wood processing for fire and shelter making...

A water filter but no bladder or even a ziploc to store/carry water? I may have missed it but I didn't see a suggestion to have water in your overall kit either.

I'm going to hazard to say that for the money you could build a kit with better gear and that's including the lighter and matches you're meant to self supply  ::)

Sadly relying on a prebuilt kit like this with questionable contents leaves you with a false sense of security, but then again maybe I've been watching too much Survivorman lately  :dunno:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 07:08:23 AM
But red and white won't go with their black and orange colour scheme.  :pok:
Yea... that would be the wrong colours too... either way around.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 12:29:11 PM
The simple fact that under the "Why The Kea Kit" chart they imply if you pack it yourself you can be organized puts a bad taste in my mouth. Considering it doesnt look like anything life changing, imo. Hard pass, especially for the price.

Ill pack it myself and be so unorganized  :dunno:

Don't even understand the symbols they use there. X and -?! Why not use the check mark like in the first column? Everything not-KEA is rubbish?!

Awlso, if it's a survival kit, where's the reflective bright colour scheme that helps you get spotted when rescue teams are out looking for you?

Nope...

:twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 01:44:16 PM
The shelter kit is just a tarp, some pegs and 550 cord... no ground sheet? No emergency reflective blanket?
There's one in the Medical section. A groundsheet would still be a good idea.  :tu:

The multitool looks like hot garbage, the combo edge doesn't help that image. If the headlamp does as advertised with an intuitive UI then it's alright. Why is a whistle not a tool? Why is there no glowsticks or even recommendation of glowsticks? help with wood processing for fire and shelter making...
Even though it's a cheap multitool (it looks like this one) it costs more than a tenth of the whole kit here if you were to buy it here.
Yes it needs a whistle (unless I missed it).
Hmmm I have never used glowsticks in the mountains... perhaps something to look into.

They include a 'fire kit' (I get they can't ship matches and lighters, but no char cloth, tealight, or anything else?) and then expect you to... what feed a twig fire every two minutes? Why doesn't wouldn't you include a small saw on the multitool to help with wood processing for fire and shelter making...
There is waxed cotton tinder.
A saw would be handy if you needed to make a splint or something (or shelter), but as far as firewood goes I would be breaking branches rather than faffing about getting clean cuts with a saw.

A water filter but no bladder or even a ziploc to store/carry water? I may have missed it but I didn't see a suggestion to have water in your overall kit either.
It's a survival kit to add to what you already have with you so you would already have waterbottles/reservoir.
"Use as a backup water supply should something happen to your primary water supply."

I'm going to hazard to say that for the money you could build a kit with better gear and that's including the lighter and matches you're meant to self supply  ::)
Sure you could, but I think this kit is aimed at people who want it all in one hit and not have to shop around and assemble it themselves.

Awlso, if it's a survival kit, where's the reflective bright colour scheme that helps you get spotted when rescue teams are out looking for you?
Did you miss the orange tarp?  :pok:   OK it's not reflective but it would still be quite visible. The emergency blanket is probably a 'foil' type which would also help with visibility.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 04:17:05 PM
Don't even understand the symbols they use there. X and -?! Why not use the check mark like in the first column? Everything not-KEA is rubbish?!
Well, looking at the "first aid-kit" row, I think the - is better than the check mark, because my 1st aid kit also contains stuff against diarrhea and pain.
Then looking at the "modular"-row, it is pretty obvious that nothing is as modular as a kit you build yourself, so that means the x is also better than the check-mark

:oops:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 01:22:07 AM
Don't even understand the symbols they use there. X and -?! Why not use the check mark like in the first column?
Well, looking at the "first aid-kit" row, I think the - is better than the check mark, because my 1st aid kit also contains stuff against diarrhea and pain.
Then looking at the "modular"-row, it is pretty obvious that nothing is as modular as a kit you build yourself, so that means the x is also better than the check-mark
Yeahe the ✓ - X thing could be done better (I think "-" means it could be either good or bad?  :think:) and the marketing is overhyped like most of these sort of things.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 10:42:26 AM
The KEA kit seems to be just another one of many survival kits that some self proclaimed expert has curated or assembled for people who have the money and desire but aren't interested enough to put together their own kit.  I believe he'll make a fortune and I wish him well.  The people who buy kits like this are never likely to really need them and if they do need it it is better than nothing.  More likely something Granddad buys for a grandson when he joins the scouts. I prefer the "Ikea survival kit" meaning I have to assemble it myself.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 12:43:10 PM
I just read about this in a local news article: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beredioutdoors/kea-kit-the-outdoor-survival-system-for-any-adventure/

It's not something I would get myself as I already have everything I need apart from a water filter.
Hopefully it's better than all the gimmicky kits out there.
ed
Of course it's not, it's garbage in a cute package.

As far as I can tell, the only thing worth having in it is the modular zip bags. The included equipment is essentially novelty items.

I'm not being an elitist dick - you don't need to have top of the range stuff, but it does have to work, and ideally more than once.

I priced up an "okayish" version of the kit (retail, so I'll give him some slack) using entry-level stuff, and came up to around $335 (vs his $234 RRP)...so It's "possible" that with good suppliers and buying power etc etc they are offering quality at a good price......but I doubt it.

I imagine most the money is going into having all this stuff made with their logo.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 04:03:11 PM
The KEA kit seems to be just another one of many survival kits that some self proclaimed expert has curated or assembled for people who have the money and desire but aren't interested enough to put together their own kit.  I believe he'll make a fortune and I wish him well.  The people who buy kits like this are never likely to really need them and if they do need it it is better than nothing.  More likely something Granddad buys for a grandson when he joins the scouts. I prefer the "Ikea survival kit" meaning I have to assemble it myself.

:iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69