Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My dream SAK -- please make an "Electrician X"

us Offline rigormootis

• New User
  • ALOXaholic
My dream SAK -- please make an "Electrician X"
on: June 15, 2021, 11:50:47 PM
Hi folks -- New member / long time SAK user here.

Seeing all the photos of the VSAKS 2020 Harvester X has kindled in me a lust for 'just one more modification' to it ---- namely, replacing the hawksbill blade with the electrician's blade. I guess this could be called an "Electrician X."  Essentially, I've carried a SAK Soldier or a 'Canoe' pattern slipjoint knife every day for nearly 40 years. When I venture into the woods, I used to swap for a SAK Farmer (to get the saw). The recent Farmer X and Harvester X are both lovely knives -- I love having BOTH the saw and scissor on a 93mm frame, but I'd personally favor having an wharncliffe-style secondary blade over the can opener for camping/hiking use. 

So, does anyone think the odds are favorable for an "Electrician X" actually happening in the near future? If not, I might just try to track down a Harvester X, as it's so close...
 :cheers:
-Chris

us Offline Frailer

Re: My dream SAK -- please make an "Electrician X"
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 12:22:41 AM
While we can never say “never,” since you specified near future, I think it’s safe to say the odds of this happening are very near zero.

Rather than try to track down someone who’s willing to part with their Harvester X for a reasonable price—which would be difficult—I’d recommend having someone swap out the can opener for an Electrician blade. It’s a very simple modification.

us Offline rigormootis

• New User
  • ALOXaholic
Re: My dream SAK -- please make an "Electrician X"
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 12:35:42 AM
...I’d recommend having someone swap out the can opener for an Electrician blade. It’s a very simple modification.

Thank you!

Satisfactorily removing/replacing the pins on the 93mm ALOX knives is something I never personally wanted to tackle, but perhaps I could risk the attempt. If I were going to do that, I might even try skipping the can/bottle opener layer entirely and just go with the main blade, awl, scissor, and saw. I think for a backcountry SAK, it would be hard to beat. Has anyone here made such a creature?

Two-layer ALOX SAKs are my favorite, the I guess the Farmer is "2.5 layers" thick -- I have a drawer of mostly Soldiers and Pioneers -- and I often give the latter ones to nieces & nephews, as they become responsible enough for their own pocketknives. The more I think about it, the more I want to order another Farmer X and then try to send it to someone who will remove the can/bottle opener layer.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:56:41 AM by rigormootis »
-Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31