Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Card Blade Alternative?

00 Offline Mad Scientist

on: May 20, 2021, 12:02:52 AM
I've been thinking of getting a Swiss Card Lite to compliment my main SAK, but I've had some hesitation about the included blade. It is illegal in my area to carry any sort of fixed-blade knife while concealed, and rather than running the risk of it being a problem, I'd prefer to avoid that issue all together. So I have two questions:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use as an alternative to the blade on the Lite? Maybe figure out a way to pull the blade from the handle and attach a slim nail file? Cut the blade off and slide something else down the slot, and use the handle as a "cap"? Or just dull it completely so it's no longer a knife and then figure out a way to sharpen it in an emergency?

My other option would be to carry the Nail Care version. I would prefer the LED for emergency purposes, but is it really even worth it? I've heard conflicting opinions on the LED being "good enough" all the way to "completely useless".

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: Anyone ever use the glass nail file to sharpen their knife in a pinch??
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:55:21 AM by Mad Scientist »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Swiss Card Blade Alternative?
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 12:18:27 AM
Can't help with the LED stuff but I can say that I carry the nail care version over other cards.

00 Offline Mad Scientist

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 12:42:11 AM
 :-\
Can't help with the LED stuff but I can say that I carry the nail care version over other cards.

Any particular reason you carry that one?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 12:57:45 AM
Yeah the nail file works and I don't like that blade so it's win win.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 02:06:48 AM
I came here to suggest the Nail Card, but then see you are aware of it.

I don’t have a Swiss Card lite, so I can’t say how useful the light is, but if I had to guess it is probably similar to a photon which is only about 5 lumens and have minimal utility. 

Yeah the nail file works and I don't like that blade so it's win win.

How do the scissors of the Nail Card compare to other SAK scissors?

I’ve been really thinking about getting a Nail Card.  It would replace a couple items I carry separately in a pocket organizer, while also giving me a pair of scissors for when the tool I’m carrying doesn’t have them.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 02:40:16 AM
How do the scissors of the Nail Card compare to other SAK scissors?

I’ve been really thinking about getting a Nail Card.  It would replace a couple items I carry separately in a pocket organizer, while also giving me a pair of scissors for when the tool I’m carrying doesn’t have them.

Don't have them on me right now but I would guess they are an 1/8 inch longer than those on 58mm saks, maybe 1/4 inch shorter than 91mm saks.
I find them easy to hold and use and have no problem recommending them over the 58mm sak scissors.

zoid rates the nail care and thinks everyone should have one.
Partners great with the signal.
Just saying...

us Offline Sos24

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 04:10:43 AM
Don't have them on me right now but I would guess they are an 1/8 inch longer than those on 58mm saks, maybe 1/4 inch shorter than 91mm saks.
I find them easy to hold and use and have no problem recommending them over the 58mm sak scissors.

Just saying...

The Signal you say.  That is the exact tool I’m wanting to pair it with.  But somehow I think you knew that,

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 04:26:07 AM
I like the Swisscard scissors (I believe they're the same on all swisscards?) they're fantastic back up scossors.

OP if you want to avoid the legal hassle then just go with the Nail Care and eliminate the blade at all, legally they may not make a distinction between a sharp blade and a blunt one, especially for a commercial product that clearly comes with a purposed knife.

How are you looking to carry the card? Personally I'd just get the Nail Care version then spend another $8 or whatever they are nowadays on a Nitecore tube. Far more utility and brightness then the card would give you, whilst being rechargeable.

I'm really curious about the sharpening question though, I've never even heard of a glass nail file.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 05:17:17 AM
Nailcare is obviously one option, as already discussed.

Another option is to go ahead and get the Lite, and just carry it without the blade.  I did this for a while so I would have an air-travel-safe version.  The LED was exactly one step above useless in my opinion, but mine was the old red LED version, not the current whitr LED version.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 07:51:07 AM
I like the Swisscard scissors (I believe they're the same on all swisscards?) they're fantastic back up scossors.

OP if you want to avoid the legal hassle then just go with the Nail Care and eliminate the blade at all, legally they may not make a distinction between a sharp blade and a blunt one, especially for a commercial product that clearly comes with a purposed knife.

How are you looking to carry the card? Personally I'd just get the Nail Care version then spend another $8 or whatever they are nowadays on a Nitecore tube. Far more utility and brightness then the card would give you, whilst being rechargeable.

I'm really curious about the sharpening question though, I've never even heard of a glass nail file.

Don’t have the nail card, but I do have a couple glass nail files for nails.  The grit feels about the equivalent of a 1000 or finer stone. It would probably work for a quick touch up on softer easier sharping steel, but not on harder steels and would probably wear quickly if used.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 07:52:46 AM
Delete duplicate

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 09:07:46 AM
Just saying...
I think it partners great with any multitool

Definitively my favourite card
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 10:30:06 AM
Yeah eh.

I really like and use all the gear you've sent me over the years, thank you Eth.

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD