Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Making a Case for Lightweight Multitools.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Making a Case for Lightweight Multitools.
on: May 19, 2021, 05:09:01 AM
I’ve collected tons of multitools over the years, I started with a Victorinox Fieldmaster, went all the way up to EDC’ing a Super Tool 300. Now I find myself only carrying my humble Super Tinker by itself most of the time or my Micra paired with a one handed pocket knife. I also rotate my Wenger Soldat into the mix from time to time. I’ve come to the conclusion that the Swiss Army Knife in my pocket is more valuable than the Multitool left at home. :dunno: I do keep my Super Tool 300 in the tool box at work but if I carry a pliers based tool it is usually my crunch or my PST.
I am THRILLED that Leatherman gave us the Bond this year and I am hopeful that trend of lightweight, quality and useful tools is something that impacts the market as a whole!  :like: So what do you guys think? Let me know down below!
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Making a Case for Lightweight Multitools.
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 06:40:58 AM
I like a lightweight tool too but of course depends what you need it for. Lightweight for pocket carry and EDC but if it’s for the glovebox or you need heavy duty then it’s a different thing.

I’ve always been very fond very fond of the LM Juice range, particularly the CS4 which has accompanied me on overseas trips for many years. Like the Rebar a lot too and am interested to get a Bond because of the lighter weight.

I mostly carry SAK’s these days and tend to switch it up a lot. This week :think: PX for urban and Farmer for the bush, I love the FX but it’s pretty rare I need scissors on a bush walk so might as well save the weight.
Often I just take the Walker and in town the Sportsman has become a fave as well as Cadet and Bantam. I always have a Rambler or Manager on my keys so have scissors even if a bit small.
Don’t actually use scissors in reality nearly as much as I thought I did having tested the theory on 30 day challenges since last October

:cheers: ET

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 01:26:12 PM
I've opted for small and lightweight - LM Squirt P4 is my only EDC.  I use the blade and the pliers mostly, sometimes the awl.  If I need heavier duty I am usually not too far away from my car or at home I have lots of choices.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 02:02:02 PM
It was a shame the LM Leap got discontinued, it may not be the most robust pliers-based MT, but it got great potential for light and outdoor use.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 02:37:16 PM
I carry heavy for work :whistle: but I do appreciate a light MT otherwise :salute: I am loving the Bond so far :tu: and I, most of the time, when just running out the door will throw a LM  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh !!!MINI!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh and a Vic Executive in my pocket :cheers:

I am hopeful that LM will continue with making lightweight quality MTs as well :woohoo: I hope they revisit and refresh some of the older tools as they have with the Bond and we end up with some refreshed faces :like:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 05:33:43 PM
It depends entirely what you use it for doesn't it?

I carry a big heavy tool usually because I simply will not be able to work without one.

I am trying to carry the Arm Bar recently if thinking I can get away with something so small and wimpy but......

Not so much success just like every other time I have tried a reduction in size which means capability to me usually. :twak:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 06:46:09 PM
Good point :cheers: If working at home in the yard I also carry a bigger MT as well :salute: So for sure it depends on the situation and what you are doing :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 10:07:37 PM
When I was working as a maintenance engineer a full sized and tricked out MT was a must.  Now I've stopped doing that a light, classic MT like a PST or a Squirt is more than enough most days.  I enjoy carrying a trad pocket knife and a SAK.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 10:28:13 PM
It was a shame the LM Leap got discontinued, it may not be the most robust pliers-based MT, but it got great potential for light and outdoor use.

:iagree: ...and I feel the same about the Juice KF4.

It depends entirely what you use it for doesn't it?

I carry a big heavy tool usually because I simply will not be able to work without one.

Indeed.  For this reason, I doubt I'll ever be able to settle on one set.
- Terry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 04:01:09 AM
I dont need too much of a tool for work these days.  Add to this that 4 out of 5 of my last purchases had skeletonized handles, and the 5th purchase was a Bantam, I've really taken to lightweight tools. 

I still carry a Pioneer X almost all the time, But every once in a while, one of these other tools seems to edge it out... but not for long. 

I used to pocket carry a Leatherman or Gerber for years... I don't know how I managed that, looking back. 

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 02:12:44 PM
Totally agree with Captain Hook.  I carry a Swiss Army Climber and a Rambler on my keychain.  If I think I will need a pliers I grab a mini Knipex Cobra. 

I will carry a Leatherman Wave for work but it doesn't get carried when I am off of work.  I have thought about a Skeletool CX but I am pretty happy with my current setup.

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 06:25:07 AM
Leatherman Squirt PS4 pocket carry fan here.  I edc one along with my Vic Explorer Plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD