Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Havalon Evolve Jim Shockey Signature Series.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Havalon Evolve Jim Shockey Signature Series.
on: May 20, 2021, 08:14:52 PM
Please forgive me as I had to Google Jim Shockey. I had no clue who he is, as I have never heard of him. He is a Canadian outdoor writer, producer of hunting shows, and an outfitter. Anyhow, I needed to get a Havalon Evolve for my collection. I have had my eyes on them for several years now, and eventually found one I could buy on Amazon.ca. It came from the United States...but I finally got one. in Canada, these are to me, a piece of unobtainium. The main reason I wanted one is simple. The Havalon system revolves around replaceable scalpel like blades. Being a Science teacher, I know my way around dissecting kits, and the thought that such a system is utilized on a multi-tool, I found intriguing. Never mind that I am a very big fan of the ubiquitous utility knife with its system of replaceable blades. With this system, you do not worry about wrecking a blade or even having to sharpen them...although I suppose you could if you are in a pinch.

Getting back to the first point I made...I was given a choice, I could either get the Havalon Evolve, or the Havalon Evolve Jim Shockey Signature Series. I couldn't for the life of me find out what what the difference other than the Evolve featured an orange V, and the Jim version was red. They were both the same price, so I went with the Jim Edition. I figured based on price and the general lack of information about both Evolves even on Havalon's official website...Jim it was. Not sure why it is called Signature Series. Are there other Jim Shockey gear out there...I know they do make other knives with the same scalpel replacement blade system (Noticed they have 3 different blade setups that are proprietary...so be watchful on what system you need and to buy the blades accordingly). Both version of the Havalon use the "Havalon Piranta Quik-Change fitment". I do not know much about Havalon or where they are made...but that right there sounds like a bit of Borat creeping in.

The box is rather colourful.

20210520_130846A by Chako, on Flickr

Inside the box, you get a zippered sheath and the tool. I think there is your difference...the Jim has a nice logo on the sheath.

20210520_130927A by Chako, on Flickr

The sheath is a bit odd however, and I feel it could have been better designed. The clam shell design is an odd one. There is an elastic in the middle that I guess your tool is supposed to go, but in the field, that would just plain suck. I can only imagine struggling with this tight elastic around your Jim. The chance of dropping it onto the forest floor would drive me crazy, and this wasn't exactly a cheap tool. There are 2 side pockets which is good because they do give you some accessories in the pouch. You get a saw blade, a largish plastic exchanger tool, and 5 extra main blades. Oh and a folded piece of instructions as well. The problem here is compounded by the fact that the sheath isn't generous in space. Fitting all of this in is a real work of love. It is possible, but out in the field, this will simply not work. The first thing I would do if I planed on using this outside, would be sourcing a better sheath. Most folks would just use the included clip...but this guy comes with accessories. Yeah, I would still find a suitable sheath for everything...but that is just me.

20210520_131047A by Chako, on Flickr

The tool works hard at reminding me of a Leatherman Skeletool. it is heavier, thicker, and does offer some unique design features, but both tools look very similar. The plyer head is blunt, and appears to be well constructed with tight tolerance levels. Included is a smallish gut hook.

20210520_131317A by Chako, on Flickr

While looking at the Havalon Evolve carefully, I noticed that there was a metal framework that pivoted away from one handle. I had to look at the included instructions to tell me what it is. It is a 2 hex bit carrier. Ok. Now I had to wonder why they did not include the 2 extra bits. There is a Phillips and flathead double hex bit included with the tool. Being Canadian, I had to throw in a pair of Robertsons.

20210520_131749A by Chako, on Flickr

The carrier does work nicely. The metal is folded over just enough to hold the bits in place...albeit with a bit of a rattle. Rattling tool + hunting = bad combo. Just saying. I guess this could be fixed with some leather spacers or something like that. My point however, is for a tool that is over 100 dollars Canadian, you should not have to modify it to suit your needs.

20210520_131723A by Chako, on Flickr

Well now I have a Havalon Evolve Jim Shockey Signature Series...so now my curiosity (which has been on a slow simmer for years), is now sated.  :D

Pros

- fit and finish is nice.
- replaceable blades baby!
- includes a few extra blades

Cons

- Weird sheath that manages to be both large and too small
- small gut hook
- included blade changer is big and awkward to use
- why does it look so much like a Leatherman Skeletool
- Place for 2 extra hex bits...but no extras given with the kit
- blades are pricey

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:25:34 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Havalon Evolve Jim Shockey Signature Series.
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:37:29 PM
Nice write up and pics for the Havalon Tool :o I didn't realize they were so Skeletool like either :ahhh

Congrats  :like: :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:48:38 PM
Thanks Poncho65.  :hatsoff:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 12:28:29 PM
I wonder why this is not more well-known. I like the extra bit storage space. Great write-up! :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 04:11:05 PM
Thank you.  :hatsoff:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 12:05:29 AM
I vaguely looked at Havalon when Wholesale Sports still carried them. Back when Wholesale Sports existed, that is. I never knew they made multitools as well as knives. That's neat.
- included blade changer is big and awkward to use
[...]
- blades are pricey
Can you use any #4 scalpel blade? That's what the blade exchanger looks like to me.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 12:22:06 AM
I do not think so. #4 scalpel blades are much smaller I think.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69