Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My wallet died on me and I am ruined!

Chako · 31 · 2369

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
on: May 22, 2021, 02:28:23 PM
I have a love hate relationship with my wallets. Over the years, I have constantly searched for the most comfortable wallet that can hold a lot of cards and stuff...with comfort. Over the years, I have ran through quite a few styles and types. I came across a largish wallet 3 years ago called the AS SEEN ON TV Wonder Wallet. It was cheap and at a local flea market. I bought it and quickly found out it is the best wallet design I have ever found. This thing was larger than a regular wallet, had plastic sleeves that could hold up to 25 plastic cards. Like a lot of wallets, this one just got more comfortable as time went on. I was in haven until disaster struck yesterday. I pulled the wallet out to pay for something, and all my plastic cards fell to the ground. The centre seam ripped completely from the two plastic wings that anchored the whole thing.

I went back home and took out my stash of new wallets. Some of these I have had for many years now waiting to be put into rotation...that is until I got that cheap Wonder Wallet.  :facepalm:

I took the best of the rest and tried to transfer all my stuff. It was so thick that it wasn't going to work. I went back online and bought a different product that appears to be very much like the Wonder Wallet. It is called the AG European Hipster 24 card wallet. It looks exactly like the Wonder Wallet but with the inclusion of 2 ID windows. 

Here is a link to the wallet found on Amazon. In the meantime, I am forced to only carry the most essential plastic cards until this one comes in sometime next month. If I like this, I might buy a few more extras and get rid of the others.  :ahhh

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01HJD4BBE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:42:37 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: My wallet died on me and I am ruined!
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 02:37:27 PM
Fingers crossed and hope you like the new one as much as the wonder wallet :cheers:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 04:18:56 PM
 :iagree: It is always bad when your favorite wallet wears out :facepalm: I have went through much the same over the years :ahhh I found a wallet that was comfortable and held what I needed it to and just the right size :salute: after wearing it out I went to buy another and the brand it was was no longer selling that one :facepalm: I bought another that was close enough and have bought 3 since but it is getting ever harder to find another :oops:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 05:26:58 PM
Never fun trying to replace a product that is no longer being produced. I find that you now have a lot more options...but the products now have a shorter production life span. If this one works out, I will purchase more for that reason.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 07:11:31 PM
I managed to shrink my EDC cards to 4: Bank, ID, drivers license and health care ID, plus a thin fresnel lens. They fit perfectly in my home made leather wallet.

I have a few more I could carry, bur never missed them. When needed, I still have my old metalica card case.

Have been thinking about making a new wallet, with double the card space. Might still be thin enough to carry and allow for more versatile carry.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 07:37:18 PM
Nice. I have too many licenses and such to pare it down overly much.  :facepalm:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 08:45:49 PM
I know you just order one, but have you tried the all-ett wallet?  The link you showed, reminded me of pics I’ve seen of the All-ett original, except built in slots instead of plastic sleeve.

I’ve never tried it, but just thought I’d share.  It says it can hold 24+ cards

https://www.all-ett.com/collections/nylon-wallets/products/nylon-original-wallet

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 09:08:32 PM
Thanks for the info. It does look interesting.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 09:30:33 PM
I have just one word for you Chako

Big Skinny Wallet

Big oddly oversized Vaccination Card even slides right in there!

Changed my Life too.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 09:49:04 PM
That looks like the All-ett mentioned above. Both look like the same size as the Wonder Wallet, and the Ag one I have on order.I will look into these...thanks for the direction.  :tu:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 09:56:36 PM
I have just one word for you Chako

Big Skinny Wallet

Big oddly oversized Vaccination Card even slides right in there!

Changed my Life too.

(Image removed from quote.)
That is the other one I was reminded of but couldn’t remember the name.  That one is probably even better, because they also sell a plastic insert that looks like the piece that Chako showed in his beloved wallet that fell out.

https://www.bigskinny.net/wallet-insert-hipster.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:05:49 PM by Sos24 »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 12:28:10 AM
I bought a Big Skinny Hipster as well. Did not know about the insert...but then I will try it out without and see which is more comfortable. Thanks guys once again.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 06:12:46 AM
I have carried a Fox Creek Leather Credit Card Wallet for many years now, and it is still going pretty strong.  Not exactly thin or lightweight, but certainly durable.  And, I think between the six credit card slots and two extra storage pockets, it would hold 25 cards easily.

For something really minimalist but still boasting a very large capacity, check out the Superior Titanium T-100.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 03:10:08 PM
I bought a Big Skinny Hipster as well. Did not know about the insert...but then I will try it out without and see which is more comfortable. Thanks guys once again.

I dont use mine with the insert and another thing I try to do is keep the load in there to a minimum which helps make it comfortable to sit on all the time obviously.

There is just no getting around the idea of splitting and stretching the thing out has to make it thinner in my end! :whistle:

Sorry butt I had to say it? :dunno:

The other thing worth mentioning is that I prefer mine not to be leather for several reasons.

I did try the AllEt too and its design is like the Big Skinny which is terrific but it just did not feel up to the long term task to me with whatever space age material it was built from?
Maybe I was wrong but I just didnt trust it either?

I also really like the Flow Fold which are made from actual Sail Cloth which is a neatidea but I never found one designed just like the others so I have been satisfied with the B.S. now for a while which is saying something for sure!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 03:22:36 PM
Thats great the wonder wallet lasted so long.  I use a leather wallet and have for a while.  I switched it for no other reason that I bought a Wenger wallet then the one I have now which is a Nixon leather wallet.  The first one was in use for over 20 years.  I used to Wenger for a short while until I got the Nixon.  We'll see how well it hold up. 

I hope whichever one you decide to carry it works for you. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 03:33:10 PM
I have that AG and the Big Skinny on order. The Wonder Wallet I have is made of thin leather. I understand I can buy replaceable inserts for it. The current wallet I am using will do the trick for now even if it only will hold 6 cards comfortably.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 11:30:43 PM
I dont use mine with the insert and another thing I try to do is keep the load in there to a minimum which helps make it comfortable to sit on all the time obviously.

There is just no getting around the idea of splitting and stretching the thing out has to make it thinner in my end! :whistle:

Sorry butt I had to say it? :dunno:

The other thing worth mentioning is that I prefer mine not to be leather for several reasons.

I did try the AllEt too and its design is like the Big Skinny which is terrific but it just did not feel up to the long term task to me with whatever space age material it was built from?
Maybe I was wrong but I just didnt trust it either?

I also really like the Flow Fold which are made from actual Sail Cloth which is a neatidea but I never found one designed just like the others so I have been satisfied with the B.S. now for a while which is saying something for sure!

If you like the sail cloth idea, then you should check out OffChutes on Etsy.  She makes different things, including wallets, from old paraglider material.  If you tell her the style and colors you want, she will make it custom for you.

Her is my matching pocket organizer and wallet that she made custom.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 12:35:17 AM
If you like the sail cloth idea, then you should check out OffChutes on Etsy.  She makes different things, including wallets, from old paraglider material.  If you tell her the style and colors you want, she will make it custom for you.

Her is my matching pocket organizer and wallet that she made custom.
Cool and your HDS looks comfy in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Sos24

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 01:07:14 AM
Cool and your HDS looks comfy in there!

Yes it is.  The other slot pocket can even fit the Spirit or Wave.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 08:44:46 PM
This is making me want to go and get a backup wallet just in case   :ahhh

I use a Trifold wallet in front right pocket. I try to keep the cards to a minimum.

I'm using this wallet only slightly different color and stitching. I've had it for about three
 years and it's holding up pretty well.

https://www.target.com/p/denizen-174-from-levi-39-s-174-men-39-s-rfid-thin-trifold-wallet-brown/-/A-51902226#lnk=sametab

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 09:53:10 PM
Love a good wallet thread  :tu:

I carried a big old wallet from Etsy for a few years, it fit all the cards and receipts (occasionally cash!) I could stuff in there and the coin pouch was large enough to accomodate some usb LEDs and a short lock pick set.

Nowadays my wallets is from Gentleman Revival (also etsy) and I love it. It can accommodate 4 cards in it's two slots, with an area behind them to tuck a couple notes in, it holds a raw brass space pen and moleskin volant XS  :like:

I'm not sure how Canada is on coins, do you lean more to the US side of things with a lot of notes for everything?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 05:25:32 AM
Lots of 1 and 2 dollar coins...but I rarely get those as I tend to use a debit card. I have a coin purse I keep in my left front pocket for change.

Nice Steve. I do not like 3 folds as they add to the thickness a lot.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 05:45:14 AM
I do not like 3 folds as they add to the thickness a lot.

I’m a bifold man as well.  In addition to the thickness issue, a trifold takes longer to get into and put away, since it has to be unfolded/folded twice vs. once.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 12:12:33 PM
Love a good wallet thread  :tu:

I carried a big old wallet from Etsy for a few years, it fit all the cards and receipts (occasionally cash!) I could stuff in there and the coin pouch was large enough to accomodate some usb LEDs and a short lock pick set.

Nowadays my wallets is from Gentleman Revival (also etsy) and I love it. It can accommodate 4 cards in it's two slots, with an area behind them to tuck a couple notes in, it holds a raw brass space pen and moleskin volant XS  :like:

I'm not sure how Canada is on coins, do you lean more to the US side of things with a lot of notes for everything?

Oh, I can just imagine it...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 01:07:57 PM
 :rofl:

It looks like I might get the Big Skinny either today or tomorrow. It has arrived in my city. Oddly enough, the first wallet I ordered might be here from June 8 to June 23rd.  :ahhh

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 06:27:40 PM
Lots of 1 and 2 dollar coins...but I rarely get those as I tend to use a debit card. I have a coin purse I keep in my left front pocket for change.

Nice Steve. I do not like 3 folds as they add to the thickness a lot.

I didn't find it to be much thicker than a bifold when I switched. It has a smaller size which works better for me in my front pocket with a knife next to it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 11:11:38 PM
Roger that Steve.  :salute:

Well the Big Skinny came in today. About time too. Last night I had a weird dream where I was at some gun show and I came across a table full of beautiful firearms. I noticed something rather nice and asked if it was legal as it looked a bit short. The guy told me it was legal. Once I heard that I really wanted it. I asked him for the price...and he said 300 bucks. I couldn't believe it. That was the deal of a century! I said I would love to buy one. I whip out my wallet and quickly realize I didn't have my PAL as I had left it at home because I was waiting for a wallet that could hold everything...talk about a nightmare!  :rofl:

This wallet can fit everything and then some..and still remain fairly thin.

20210528_164401A by Chako, on Flickr

The wallet is of a different orientation to my older Wonder Wallet. That will take some getting used to. I also find the bill section very deep. On the plus side, it has a bill compartment divider which is alway nice. The pockets can indeed hold 6 cards each. I also like that the Big Skinny came with a fake bill inside the wallet.

Thanks for cluing me in on this one. It is a keeper.

20210528_165109A by Chako, on Flickr

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 11:28:36 PM
Roger that Steve.  :salute:

Well the Big Skinny came in today. About time too. Last night I had a weird dream where I was at some gun show and I came across a table full of beautiful firearms. I noticed something rather nice and asked if it was legal as it looked a bit short. The guy told me it was legal. Once I heard that I really wanted it. I asked him for the price...and he said 300 bucks. I couldn't believe it. That was the deal of a century! I said I would love to buy one. I whip out my wallet and quickly realize I didn't have my PAL as I had left it at home because I was waiting for a wallet that could hold everything...talk about a nightmare!  :rofl:

This wallet can fit everything and then some..and still remain fairly thin.

20210528_164401A by Chako, on Flickr

The wallet is of a different orientation to my older Wonder Wallet. That will take some getting used to. I also find the bill section very deep. On the plus side, it has a bill compartment divider which is alway nice. The pockets can indeed hold 6 cards each. I also like that the Big Skinny came with a fake bill inside the wallet.

Thanks for cluing me in on this one. It is a keeper.

20210528_165109A by Chako, on Flickr
Yeah it will take something monumentally better to get me to switch at this point!
Glad it works for you too.
Its hard to understand how skinny but huge it is until you load it up and sit on it!

Funny dream too

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 11:36:54 PM
 :tu:

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 05:49:10 PM
I bought a leather trucker's wallet with a chain at a flea market in 1993 and I'm still carrying it every day.  I removed the chain because it rattled and would have been difficult when wearing a suit. IDs have a slot in front and all of the rest of the cards go into a center pocket which used to have a zipper closure.  The zipper failed a couple of years ago so I removed it.  I carry cash in a money clip so the section of the wallet that was meant for cash is used for some documents and receipts.  I dread the day I will have to replace my wallet but the Big Skinny will be on my short list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%