Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber TrailRider on US ebay

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Gerber TrailRider on US ebay
on: May 23, 2021, 01:56:24 PM
If anyone is looking for one of these hard to find MTs, tacticalworld has one for sale (but as usual their price is not what you would call a bargain).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274807055550

The usual caveats apply, I have no connection with the seller, do your own research on price, condition, rarity etc.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline gregozedobe

Re: Gerber TrailRider on US ebay
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 05:59:43 AM
And it's gone.  Obviously the price wasn't excessive to someone as it sold quickly.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 11:27:31 AM
Fascinating in multiple ways  :D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 03:13:26 PM
Fascinating in multiple ways  :D

Please elaborate, I'm curious

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 03:22:43 PM
When I first saw it I was like "oh that's just an iteration of a regular 600" ...and "wow that's quite some money even for a collector"  ...and poof it's sold  :dunno:

I must say that I don't understand the business though. I'm not a good business man. I always sold my cars under value  :P

I just want everybody to be happy  :angel:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 05:48:01 AM

My happiness is a priority (otherwise I won't sell), but hopefully the buyer is also happy.  I have been known to not sell to an eager buyer if I don't like them for some reason (it helps that I am almost never desperate to sell).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 08:47:47 AM
When I first saw it I was like "oh that's just an iteration of a regular 600" ...and "wow that's quite some money even for a collector"  ...and poof it's sold  :dunno:

I must say that I don't understand the business though. I'm not a good business man. I always sold my cars under value 

What car are you driving at the moment? :pok:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 09:45:53 AM
My happiness is a priority (otherwise I won't sell), but hopefully the buyer is also happy.  I have been known to not sell to an eager buyer if I don't like them for some reason (it helps that I am almost never desperate to sell).

That's how it should be  :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 09:46:26 AM
What car are you driving at the moment? :pok:

A 2012 Renault Scenic  :pok:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 09:47:23 AM
A 2012 Renault Scenic  :pok:
Never mind...

:rofl:
:pok:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 10:50:51 AM

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 01:21:59 PM

us Offline cody6268

Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 09:50:15 PM
IT's unique as it's the only pliers-based tool with a hoof pick. Honestly, given how Vic is still making and selling the Equestrian (and even bothered to upgrade it to linerlock); as well as Swiza having released a few different models with the hoof pick, as well as Case, Rough Rider, Schrade, and Moore Maker having traditional Trappers with the hoof pick blades replacing spey blades; obviously, there is a market for these. I was really into horses during my preteen years, but just carried a Cashel horseman knife (clip-point, hoof blade, thinning comb, awl; and of course, hoofpick) which my folks bought as they were like $10 at the tack store, and it had a good hoof pick. The Equestrian got on my list the year I got my first SMKW catalog, but my folks never got it, New Graham didn't sell them (and still don't, 14 years later; and neither do most SAK dealers, period).

For day-to-day tasks on the farm, around the barn, and checking fences; I'd take the Trailrider over an Equestrian any day.   You have scissors on the Trailrider (Equestrian has none), pliers/cutters (Equestrian has none); three screwdrivers (Equestrian has just the odd combo-tool SD tip), a combo edge blade (good for rope and brush), as well as can and bottle openers, and an awl (which is a rare thing in the MP600 platform). The hoofpick locks; which I think is unique to the Trailrider (3-4 years back, when I was looking at getting another horse, actually one I rode that was sold but not owned by me before, I had looked at modding the Equestrian's hoof-pick to lock using the bottle opener linerlock).  I feel the Equestrian is more aimed at those who aren't exactly the working cowboy type. .More like recreational English riders. And, er, uh, I rode English--using the saddle my instructor, a woman roughly 4'10; maybe 100 lbs., used when she was a competitive rider in her late teens and early '20s. For comparison, back then I was 130 lbs.; 5'6.  My Dad's Western saddle was much better.  And same goes for the Trailrider. In my opinion, it's the most common-sense tool to offer a hoofpick.

For comparison, I came across this old ad I'd bookmarked YEARS ago when it was discussed in an old thread here. $50 was the MSRP in Christmas season 1997.

https://books.google.com/books?id=_-oCAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=Gerber+Trailrider&source=bl&ots=7KxPGJpwWN&sig=bzElIHutij1eCqHlHU0uNEqpZ_U&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihreT0t-rQAhUGxCYKHSGmDhYQ6AEIRTAJ#v=onepage&q=Gerber%20Trailrider&f=false

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:56:57 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 05:38:49 AM
If anyone is looking for one of these hard to find MTs, tacticalworld has one for sale (but as usual their price is not what you would call a bargain).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274807055550

The usual caveats apply, I have no connection with the seller, do your own research on price, condition, rarity etc.
That guy is a flipper. If you bid on discontinued Leathearman stuffs, good chance you will bid against him. He got a lot of good stuffs, though I would not take his description at face value as I know where he got his merch from.

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2021, 04:30:12 PM
I've felt that a short, blunt-tipped, curved, serrated blade like the gut blade on the Vic Hunter, would be a great thing to have in your possession when working around horses.  If you get into a situation where a horse is tangled, injured, panicked, etc. you might need to cut some straps next to its skin--saddle girth strap, bridle, whatever....and a blunt end rescue type blade would be ideal for that. Also, just for cutting in general while on horseback, because it's not great practice to have a sharp tip out while riding or handling large animals. An unexpected jolt and that tip could end up stabbed into the animal or into you. Real live cowboys using stockman knives would do well to whip out their spey blade to cut anything they needed to cut while mounted, for this same reason.
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%