Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New life for an old fire steel.

Nix · 19 · 1571

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
New life for an old fire steel.
on: May 24, 2021, 07:28:38 PM
I think the picture tells the whole story:

I've had this Light My Fire fire steel (ferro rod) for at least 20 years. I kept it on a neck lanyard and it was my "go-to" fire steel for ages. It has seen service on different continents and in various settings. More than any other fire steel, it is the one I'd toss on when heading out the door for a quick hike or fishing trip. It was part of my 'base layer'.

I have to say, that for something so old and used so casually, it has been great. But...not problem free.

Because I often wore it close to my body or in wet environments, it corroded a bit. The wooden handle (seen broken in the photo) shrank and split. The glue affixing the steel to the knob got old and brittle.

I tried to wax the wood. I tried to stabilize the split and rod's joint with fresh superglue. And it was hanging in like the tough, old, veteran tool it was.

Until yesterday. Yesterday I was cleaning the steel, re-gluing the handle and cleaning out the lanyard hole when the whole handle just split apart. 

Not my fault....  :whistle:

The old corroded steel looked a bit pathetic rolling about on the work table. I think it might have been reasonable to toss it in the bin and break out a fresh new ferro rod.

But because this ferro rod has been on so many little adventures with me, I have a sort of sentimental attachment to it. That, and it clearly has another 1000 fires left in its old bones.

I had an old chunk of maple on hand. After a few whacks with an axe I had split out a crude handle. The 'gunstock' shape of the new handle is really due to the way the wood split out, but I like the shape. Some sanding and smoothing gave me a rough handle. A drill and some JB Weld (two-part epoxy) got the old fire steel seated and secured.

A bit more sanding and some Howard's "Feed-N-Wax" sealed the handle. (I was sure to get some inside the oversized lanyard hole, too.)

While the epoxy was setting up. I made a new lanyard by plaiting three strands of jute twine. After the middle section was done, I dipped the semi-finished lanyard in hot wax and let it dry.

Once the epoxy was done curing, I fished the lanyard through the handle, then finished plaiting the lanyard together to form a closed loop. The idea here is that the lanyard can serve as a tinder source if needed. I've spoken on the forum in the past of how much I like using waxed (or unwaxed) jute as a fire starter. Jute, once teased apart, catches a spark and bursts into flame wonderfully. So, in theory, a bit of jute could be removed from the lanyard and pressed into service as ready made tinder.

That's the theory. We'll see if I like the reality. The wax tends to flake off as the jute is twisted, tugged, and pulled. Some will remain, but some will end up in my pockets (Unless stored in a plastic sack, eh?). I like this idea, but I can't recommend it yet. It may be that plain unwaxed jute makes a better, i.e. less messy, lanyard in the end.

No more wearing the fire steel around my neck. I suppose I could coat it in nail polish or tape (I've done that in the past). But neither of these options are ideal. I think I'll simply oil the ferro rod and keep it in my pocket, bag, or pack. The lanyard was made short to prevent me from being tempted to toss it over my head.

Lastly, once it was done, I notice the 'new' fire steel and lanyard were perfectly camouflaged. This is not a good thing. So, I made a new striker from an old pice of hacksaw and a sheath made from waxed cardboard and bright red duct tape. Red string to keep it attached to the fire steel. Hopefully these will serve as a flag to help find it if it is put down on the ground.

A fun project. And I am pleased to be able to carry this fire steel on more adventures.  :tu:

I'd be curious to know (and see) if you guys use a ferro rod or fire steel or metal match or whatever you call these things. Any homemade ferro rods out there? Any battered and beaten fire steels? Or rehab'ed and restored ferro rods?

Let's see 'em!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 07:35:39 PM by Nix »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Re: New life for an old fire steel.
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 07:47:09 PM
Nice job  :cheers:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 07:47:38 PM
Thanks!  :cheers:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 09:35:37 PM
Nice work Nix  :tu:, i made a new slimmer handle to fit one i kept with an Opinel, the Opi sheath came with a loop for a sharpener but i replaced that with a firesteel, of course i dug it out to take a photo and the ferro seems to have vanished  :facepalm:

But heres the Opi and sheath anyway  :D I'm sure it will turn up

And a Vic mod i made a while back using a shortened CT driver and an Eka ferro :tu:

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 09:40:30 PM
Love that Vic fire steel!

The missing ferro rod is..... How does one say it.....?  Less impressive.   :rofl:

The reason I had mine on a neck lanyard was that I never wanted to have my steel go missing. I'm somewhat ambivalent about replacing the neck lanyard with a simple wrist lanyard. We'll see how that works out.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 09:48:33 PM
Nice job.  Although not intentional, the ergonomics of the handle look like it would work well.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 09:51:24 PM
Nice work Nix  :tu:, i made a new slimmer handle to fit one i kept with an Opinel, the Opi sheath came with a loop for a sharpener but i replaced that with a firesteel, of course i dug it out to take a photo and the ferro seems to have vanished  :facepalm:

But heres the Opi and sheath anyway  :D I'm sure it will turn up

(Image removed from quote.)

And a Vic mod i made a while back using a shortened CT driver and an Eka ferro :tu:

I frequently hear how Opinel knives work great as ferro strikers, but I’ve never tried one.  Maybe now that I’ve tried my first Mora, it is time to try an Opinel.

The SAK mod is very cool too.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 10:02:53 PM
That's a proper job Nix  :cheers: here's to many more years of successful fire lighting!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 10:06:19 PM
Nice job.  Although not intentional, the ergonomics of the handle look like it would work well.

Thanks. A happy accident indeed.  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 10:07:14 PM
That's a proper job Nix  :cheers: here's to many more years of successful fire lighting!

:cheers:  T'were fun. And a pleasure to recycle, reuse.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 01:31:40 PM
It looks great 8) Always good to fix something rather than replace if possible, especially if it is still very usable like this was :like: :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 02:25:47 PM
Thanks, Poncho.   :iagree:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 04:56:03 PM
Nice job! :cheers:
You can dress the length of the ferro rod with duct tape to protect it from moisture.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 07:25:10 PM
Nice job! :cheers:
You can dress the length of the ferro rod with duct tape to protect it from moisture.

Actually, now that you mention it, there was a time when this very rod had a layer of duct tape on it.   :D

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 02:17:33 PM
Nice work Nix.   You can still wear your fire steel around your neck if you coat and cover it.  You have lots of options.
  A light coat of oil or grease would work, granted it burns and won't release a bunch of nasty fumes.  Seal it in candle wax perhaps, it won't require covering until you expose the metal again and if you are actively using it then that won't matter, just seal it back up later.   
I would not use duct tape, it leaves a nasty residue that will make using the rod a headache.  Gaffers tape, on the other hand, comes away clean, but why tape something that is lubricated?  You could wrap it in a scroll of brown paper from a shopping bag and hold it together with a rubber band.  In a pinch you can use the paper as fuel and if things are really desperate you can burn the rubber band too.   Alternately you could make a sheath out of a tube: drinking straw or rubber hose (fuel line?) or vinyl tubing.  If you aren't planning on using it anytime soon you could seal it in shrink wrap tubing.

Good luck.  S/R

Ignorantia timoris, et estote filii fortitudinis discere.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 06:32:37 PM
Awl good suggestions, SR.

The paper idea is interesting; however, I think the paper might absorb sweat too readily. Waxed paper?

Currently, the fire steel is coated with a bit of vaseline to protect it.

For neck wear, I made this based on a commercial version:

I used a breakaway chain for safety. I coated the ferro-toggle with nail polish, although some as worn away. You can see that the decorative beads (that serve as spacers) have started to corrode (develop a patina) after a few summer hikes.

Does it work?

Yes! That little ceramic striker is awesome. The toggle can be held firmly using the chain (otherwise a bit tricky to get a good grip) and the ceramic striker throws good sparks. The key is to set up a good tinder bundle and position it in such a way where one can deliver good clean sparks. As with awl fire building, prep is key.   :tu:

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 11:13:34 PM
Awl good suggestions, SR.

The paper idea is interesting; however, I think the paper might absorb sweat too readily. Waxed paper?

Currently, the fire steel is coated with a bit of vaseline to protect it.

Waxed paper would do.    Rub down the paper on both sides with the base of a candle and that should be good enough.    Of course paper that had absorbed enough oil or vaseline would work too.  It doesn't take much. 

Glad to help I like being able to get things done with what's close at hand.  Some call me cheap, I like to think of it as resourceful.

S/R

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2021, 08:15:46 PM
How long or how many strikes is a Light My Fire good for? I have a cheap WalMart or Dicks (Caughlin?) ferro rod and not only did it slide out of the grasping "handle", but it also wont spark any more and I've barely used it 10 times maybe

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: September 05, 2021, 09:58:48 PM
If the surface oxidizes it won't spark until you scrape that layer of oxidation off. (Usually just a scrape or two.)

How long they last depends on a few factors, I think. Used efficiently the large Light My Fire should be good for 100's of fires. Mine, which started life as a large, has started a couple dozen fires. I should be able to get a couple dozens more.

They are advertised as starting 1000's of fires. Well.....maybe, in highly skilled hands with near perfect tinder requiring a single spark. I tend to go through more of the ferro material than expected.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 10:08:33 PM by Nix »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD