Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hex cut-outs on handles and knives.

nl Offline GotBluntnose

on: May 22, 2021, 11:46:45 AM
My guesstimate is that 90%+ of people believe these are useless.

But the Greek philosopher in me asks: "Are they only useless if you believe them to be useless?"  :think:
cutouts2.jpg
* cutouts2.jpg (Filesize: 184.64 KB)
Full metal blunt force trauma

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Hex cut-outs on handles and knives.
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 12:01:23 PM
Cut into the handle, they serve that triple purpose of saving weight, providing grip and an extra tool for no compromise

As a separate tool they're still useful but only to the extent that you come across the bolts as you go about your day.

Having them in the handles is a no brainer as long as they don't compromise the strength adversely

Have you been able to use yours much? You have a vast array!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 12:17:03 PM
I find that a lot of times, whenever I tried to use these for their intended use, I can't simply because there isn't enough space to use the multi-tool on the nut. I agree with what magentus stated above...but the handles require a lot of free space around the nut...which quite often times you do not have. Whenever I need to get  a nut removed, a ratchet set is usually the better bet. But like all things, I guess it would depend on the circumstances to figure out if they are useless  or not.

Nice variety...noticed you got an American Camper 4th from Right.  :hatsoff:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nl Offline GotBluntnose

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 12:42:31 PM
I find that a lot of times, whenever I tried to use these for their intended use, I can't simply because there isn't enough space to use the multi-tool on the nut. I agree with what magentus stated above...but the handles require a lot of free space around the nut...which quite often times you do not have. Whenever I need to get  a nut removed, a ratchet set is usually the better bet. But like all things, I guess it would depend on the circumstances to figure out if they are useless  or not.

Nice variety...noticed you got an American Camper 4th from Right.  :hatsoff:

Thank you, I'll do a 'Chako-style' bottom drawer post soon. Got about 50 weird oddballs that need internet attention, those poor misfits just sit here conspiring against me..
Full metal blunt force trauma

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 12:46:35 PM
 :popcorn:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 01:59:14 PM
My DPX HEST has just the 1/4" Hex for using with Hex Bits and it does indeed work for that for me or has in the past!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 02:47:55 PM
I don't think I own any tools that have this "feature", and as far as it goes, I'd be unlikely to seek it out, it may even be a detraction.

I do a fair bit of business with nuts and bolts, and more often than not they are so placed that you can't even get a ring spanner on them and you have to get a socket (and maybe a few flex extensions) to do what you need to do.

The illusion that you'll be able to manipulate those fasteners is probably more of a liability than the one-in-a-hundred times you might actually be able to get the tool into position.

If it's a capability you need, you may get more success out of a 100mm shifter, which you can probably squeeze into most large/premium multitool sheaths.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 07:40:59 PM
I've tried using such concepts a few times just to check it out. I might have been unlucky with the samples but they were thin and ended up deforming. No bolts were harmed in the exercise - can't say the same for the tools. And as Chako says these things require a lot of free space around them - which often wont be there as most machine/ car / whatever designers will look at the standards for space requirements around bolt and nuts (there are standard for everything) and design available space to that. Those standards are made to make sure normal tools have required access and space to move.

What I find really worrisome about tools like this is not so much trying to loosen stuff. The worrisome part is if someone is trying to fasten stuff with these, and then goes on to trust that their bikewheel or whatever will stay in place... Wrenches/ spanners get increasing handle length with hex size in an effort to try and more or less hit a suitable torque for an average mechanic. These things likely fall well short of that.

In the grander scheme of things it is the common multitool design balance between adding something that might work, as opposed to having fewer features but only having things that do work. (Third category: Only ever useful for ticking marketing boxes). I prefer the only things that works end of the scale. If a feature is for real it should really work. Nothing is more annoying than thinking you brought something suitable for a task, potentially leaving behind the good stuff, only to discover it doesn't actually work.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:47:42 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%