Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Meet the Fake Raptor.

Chako · 37 · 6024

ph Offline Zephon

Re: Meet the Fake Raptor.
Reply #30 on: September 01, 2021, 03:20:18 AM
I recently got the one with blue handles (for about USD20 with shipping). It appears it’s a tiny bit more than just a repaint. Sure, it still doesn’t have a liner lock on the strap cutter. It’s the screws that they changed. It’s now the (security?) bit with something protruding in the center. 

The pivots are quite tight; even a bit too tight for my liking for the scissors. The ball-and-spring lock of the cutter still doesn’t work perfectly, but at least there’s an audible “click” now.

Still thinking about opening this one. Have to heat up the thread locks/glue first.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: September 01, 2021, 03:45:03 AM
Some nice close ups of the fake, Zephon :salute: Looks like they are trying to get it a bit better as well :o :ahhh

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #32 on: September 02, 2021, 03:42:06 AM
Thanks Poncho!

I took a couple more pics after taking a closer look. I’m at that stage where I have to take off my glasses if I need to see something clearer up close.

There are differences between the (first) black handle KO Raptor vs the (second) blue handle one.

I’m not sure if it’s an attempt to improve based on the screws. I couldn’t take apart the blue one as the thread lock seems to be doing its job quite well and I didn’t want to risk breaking a screw as I’ve seen in a customer’s review. I did manage to adjust the scissor pivot to loosen it up.

Next is the difference in finish. It’s possible that these fakes are being made in more than 1 factory and being made in more than one way.

The black one has smooth edges. The blue one has ‘rough’ edges with vertical streaks. Can any metal worker give the correct term for that? Was one molded and the other cut? The ring cutter’s profile is also different. The blue is thicker than the black, almost making you think it was added as an afterthought without knowing what it is for.

The plastic grips are also different with the blue one having mold flash or excess plastic versus the straight ones on the black one.

I had a side-by-side cut test for both using the box of the blue shears. Well, it’ll cut. Somehow I did feel the black was cutting better than the blue but it could just be me. I had a ‘jam’ on the black one towards the tip but maybe it’s just a loose pivot thing.

For USD12 or so, they’re a good pair of scissors. For USD20, might as well save the cash for something else. I intend to use them as household scissors and not trauma shears or kitchen scissors. I see them cutting cardboard, packaging bags, rags for the workshop and old billing statements.

Btw…. I’m posting pics straight from my phone so please be patient as I’m trying to figure out how to orient then properly.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: September 02, 2021, 02:50:54 PM
Thanks for the side by side and the differences :salute: :like:

Might help or deter someone from getting a pair of these :tu: :like:

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 09:33:36 AM
I lifted this picture off the shopping platform (Lazada). What do you guys make of it? Reminds me of something out of a sci fi movie where radioactive slime causes something to mutate.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: September 28, 2021, 11:44:00 AM
An interesting take on the Raptor for sure :o :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #36 on: September 28, 2021, 01:24:45 PM
That's more interesting. Nice additions here and there. Maybe Leatherman could take some hints?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%