Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic soldiers knife scale attachment

gb Offline kakashi

Vic soldiers knife scale attachment
on: May 19, 2021, 12:31:39 AM
I bought one of the US NSN model all black tools version of the Swiss/German soldiers knife.

I really like it but I can't quite figure out why they didn't bother with the tweezer/toothpick in the handle like the trekker has. I was thinking of taking off the scales and modding them but then I thought why not just get the trekker scales and go all black. I find having a toothpick on me all the time to be very useful and the tweezers have their moments.

Do the scales pop onto something on the frame or are they glued on? I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into.

As a side note. I saw the Swiss Clip from Stat Gear. They say the knife must have the lanyard ring on the left side between the first and second liners. Looking at my knife (depending on their orientation of left) and their photos it should fit. I contacted them via email and heard nowt. Has anyone here tried it on a 111 size knife?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Vic soldiers knife scale attachment
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 01:22:04 AM
Do the scales pop onto something on the frame or are they glued on? I'd just like to know what I'm getting myself into.

New scales pop onto the rivets.  The small ridges that allow the scales to pop on are usually broken by removing the scales, though, so used scales usually require epoxy.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 01:48:34 AM
I bought one of the US NSN model all black tools version of the Swiss/German soldiers knife.

I really like it but I can't quite figure out why they didn't bother with the tweezer/toothpick in the handle like the trekker has. I was thinking of taking off the scales and modding them but then I thought why not just get the trekker scales and go all black. I find having a toothpick on me all the time to be very useful and the tweezers have their moments.

As a side note. I saw the Swiss Clip from Stat Gear. They say the knife must have the lanyard ring on the left side between the first and second liners. Looking at my knife (depending on their orientation of left) and their photos it should fit. I contacted them via email and heard nowt. Has anyone here tried it on a 111 size knife?

You bring up some of the This or That options that we are often left with when it comes to choosing a Victorinox. 

The 111mm scales with the rubberized grips do not have scale tools... that includes the Soldier or the Trailmaster Grip... contrast with the Trekker.  It's simply a Victorinoxism - if you want the grippy scales or the wooden scales, you don't get the scale tools. 

As for the SwissQlip - I remember reading somewhere that it only fits medium-sized tools... not the 111mm. 

That said, the Sentinel scales come with a clip, scale tools, and are black.

gb Offline kakashi

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 04:20:46 AM
Thanks for the replies.

If I can "pop" off the rubberised scales I'd replace them with the black ones that take the pick and tweezers.

I bought the Swiss clip from amazon to try. If it doesn't work I'll just send it back or if the screw is short (which I anticipate to be the problem, I'll find a longer one).

I wish Victroinox would get up to speed. They keep flaunting the same stuff over and over. Why can't they make a multitool in black with outside available tools and a oho blade?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 07:12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies.

If I can "pop" off the rubberised scales I'd replace them with the black ones that take the pick and tweezers.

I bought the Swiss clip from amazon to try. If it doesn't work I'll just send it back or if the screw is short (which I anticipate to be the problem, I'll find a longer one).

I wish Victroinox would get up to speed. They keep flaunting the same stuff over and over. Why can't they make a multitool in black with outside available tools and a oho blade?

They did. It's the Swisstool Spirit MXBS.  It's not easy to get one though.

They do this stuff on purpose. What that purpose is, I don't know. But they know very well that many people want OHO nonserrated locking blades and pocket clips and they're quite unwavering in not delivering on that.   I can only guess that as a family owned company where the CEO has his own EDC preferences (Traveller, iirc) they seem to be firm in their plan to avoid modernization.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 10:24:50 PM
They did. It's the Swisstool Spirit MXBS.  It's not easy to get one though.

They do this stuff on purpose. What that purpose is, I don't know. But they know very well that many people want OHO nonserrated locking blades and pocket clips and they're quite unwavering in not delivering on that.   I can only guess that as a family owned company where the CEO has his own EDC preferences (Traveller, iirc) they seem to be firm in their plan to avoid modernization.

A big reason for not offering this imho, is that in a lot of European countries the combination of OHO + locking blades is illegal to carry.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 12:54:42 AM
A big reason for not offering this imho, is that in a lot of European countries the combination of OHO + locking blades is illegal to carry.

:iagree:  They always seem to focus their options toward the world market's lowest common denominator in terms of legality.  Perhaps it's important to them to never (or rarely) have their pocket tools classified as a weapon? 

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 07:35:54 AM
:iagree:  They always seem to focus their options toward the world market's lowest common denominator in terms of legality.  Perhaps it's important to them to never (or rarely) have their pocket tools classified as a weapon?

I think that is very important to them.  :iagree:

gb Offline kakashi

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 10:28:42 PM
I saw the oho spirt and if they do a swiss tool version, I may well get one. I have a swiss tool in black and I prefer it to the spirit model.That said, this black army knife has what I need for 90% of the time and it's a lot less weight to carry.

Are there any recommendations on epoxy for the handles or just any old two part?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%