Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Skeletool Review

Offline crocodilo

Re: Leatherman Skeletool Review
Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 05:33:38 PM
Try this perspective:

1. SAKs are great to EDC, better than common LM's MTs. (size and weight vs functions and utility)
2. The two things lacking in most SAKs are one handed blades and good pliers. (with an exception for the OHT blade, but that's a big SAK...)

1+2=3

3. The Skeletool may be the best way to complement a SAK.

Just a thought. If LM ditched the Skeletool carabiner to make the tool much shorter, I would jump at it for the above stated purpose.
A

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 11:01:16 PM
For less money and I think more functionality I'll stick with my SOG PowerLock.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 04:11:41 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 11:34:06 PM
Maybe i'm a minority here, but i'm not happy with both Skeletools.

The pliers are plain flimsy, saw too many already that had snapped off during light work.

Ditto on the knives.
Because they have deep serrations and too many holes which weaken the structure, they're also prone to breakage.
Yesterday i had one that had snapped while cutting cloth, and i saw many like them.

The spring in the bitholder also breaks quite easily, and is difficult to reach.

Biggest problem however is dissassembly, very difficult (at least for me) and the use of soft metal screws coupled with Torx 8 heads doesn't help either.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 11:36:17 PM
Finally, someone else who doesn't like the Skeletool :salute:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 11:57:34 PM

The pliers are plain flimsy, saw too many already that had snapped off during light work.

Ditto on the knives.
Because they have deep serrations and too many holes which weaken the structure, they're also prone to breakage.
Yesterday i had one that had snapped while cutting cloth, and i saw many like them.

I suspect the people who bring their tools in for warrenty aren't telling you the truth on how they broke them, like the classic knife = prybar.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 12:43:41 AM
Thanks for the review, very informative.  I've only briefly held the skeletools but I must say I was impressed by the fit and finish.

As is the case with so many of the MTs I see on this forum the locking blade makes it a no no for casual carry in the UK.  This is a shame as I could see myself having it clipped in my jeans pocket.

Its probably not the most practical MT, especially for this side of the pond but I still want one :)

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 06:18:57 AM
I've carried and used my Skeletool almost every day for the last few months. (note used, not abused)  I've never felt as if the knife were in any danger of breaking.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 04:40:31 PM
I haven't seen Tom around in awhile, I hope all is well with him, he writes good stuff.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 06:18:09 PM
I haven't seen Tom around in awhile, I hope all is well with him, he writes good stuff.

Yeah I haven't seen him for a while either.  :think:
I'm back!!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 07:02:30 PM
maybe he betrayed us and got a Life! :P

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 07:31:57 PM
Naw, he doesn't like to come here anymore because of something you said!  He told me so!

Seriously, the last time I heard from Tom, he was somewhat busy, and summer concert season was creeping up on him.  He was also saying that the forum was almost impossible for him to keep up with, and so he just couldn't spend the vast amounts of time here that he used to.  As his work slows down over the winter we may (hopefully) see him again.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 03:31:18 AM
well all the best to him and much success :cheers:
he also told me I suck too! ::) :P

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 05:46:51 AM
Where is Tom this week? According to tommunch.com.......

Mo 8/4/2008
12:00 pm - 5:30 pm Royal Gorge Bridge History Show, Cañon City.  275-7507

Tu 8/5/2008
9:00 am - 10:00 am Sharmar Village Care Center, 1201 Abriendo, Pueblo.  544-1173

We 8/6/2008
9:30 am - 10:30 am Colorado State Veterans Nursing Home - Florence.  784-5305

7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Do Drop Inn with Johnny Watson, 944 E. Kimble Dr., Pueblo West.  719.547.8440

Th 8/7/2008
9:00 am - 10:00 am University Park Alzheimers, 945 Desert Flower Blvd., Pueblo. 545-5321

7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Yellow Pine Guest Ranch, Cuchara.  719.742.3528

Fr 8/8/2008

8:00 pm - 11:59 pm Teller Senior Coalition party with the Atomic Fireballs Woodland Park

Sa 8/9/2008
11:00 am - 4:00 pm Gold Rush Days, Buena Vista

7:30 pm - 11:00 pm Pueblo West Eagles

Su 8/10/2008
11:00 am - 4:00 pm Gold Rush Days, Buena Vista

:)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 05:48:47 AM
Wow, tom's been a busy guy lately.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 05:53:20 AM
Someday we should poke :pok: him until he comes up with a little Multitool.org theme song. :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 06:50:16 PM
Maybe i'm a minority here, but i'm not happy with both Skeletools.

Ditto on the knives.

The spring in the bitholder also breaks quite easily, and is difficult to reach.

Biggest problem however is dissassembly, very difficult (at least for me) and the use of soft metal screws coupled with Torx 8 heads doesn't help either.

well if u have those broken ones with half-serrated blades,u know someone in finland may need one blade for his basic model with plain edge :D

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 03:46:28 AM
I just saw all the kind comments you guys posted last summer while wondering where I was.  I come back every so often.  I feel badly that I can't spend as much time as I did in the beginning of multitool.org.  To tell the truth I'm embarrassed that I never did much with my design ideas, so that's part of what keeps me away.  But I'll try to contribute a bit this winter.  It's always esciting to come up for air when the new tools are announced at SHOT.

Tom

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 04:25:40 AM
I just saw all the kind comments you guys posted last summer while wondering where I was.  I come back every so often.  I feel badly that I can't spend as much time as I did in the beginning of multitool.org.  To tell the truth I'm embarrassed that I never did much with my design ideas, so that's part of what keeps me away.  But I'll try to contribute a bit this winter.  It's always esciting to come up for air when the new tools are announced at SHOT.

Tom

Embarrassed about not finishing up projects? That never slows me down! :multi:

(Welcome back Tom, and don't be such a stranger) :)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: January 19, 2009, 04:28:21 AM
Thanks, Bob!  It's great to be appreciated.

So what's up?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 04:32:12 AM
Thanks, Bob!  It's great to be appreciated.

So what's up?

Right now I'm trapped indoors by bitter cold and crotch-deep snow, but I don't care, because I'm sitting here catching up on all the exciting Shot Show news!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: January 19, 2009, 04:47:59 AM
Nice to meet ya Tom :tu: I guess I was coming in as you were on your way out for a while :D

This seems like a good place as any to add my thoughts about the Skeley :cheers: Let's see what I can come up with by tomorrow :ahhh :D

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: January 19, 2009, 06:33:59 AM
I'm still using my Skeletool & enjoying it.  I like the looks of that new Freestyle though, but I do need a driver almost every day.

Tom

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #52 on: January 19, 2009, 02:59:19 PM
Good to see you again Tom! :cheers:

I hope life is treating you well and your in good health.

any new tools?

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: January 19, 2009, 04:05:54 PM
I got a few neck knives, but no new tools.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: January 20, 2009, 01:22:37 AM
 :think: Well where to start with this wonderful tool so much has been said about it in the past year and some great reviews by some great ppl have been put out there so here's mine

I really liked the Skeletool overall :tu: I really have no complaints about this great tool

I have been carrying everyday since Thursday evening when it arrived and everything I asked of it it excelled in :)

The size is very nice and seems very capable to me, I haven't used it for any heavy duty work yet but it isn't designed for that anyway ;) I like the OH blade it is a nice and beefy looking blade.  It cut very well for me this weekend and held a razor sharp edge and it being a plain edge suited me even more :o I also like the pliers although a wee bit on the small side they performed excellent :tu: Next onto the bit driver (me personally I like bit drivers) I believe that this was the best solution that LM could have taken towards the maximum minimalist theme :tu: You get 4 screwdrivers for the price of 1 and if you carry a bit kit a whole lot more.  I used the bits on some different odds and ends and they handled each case nicely as well  Now the bottle cap/carabiner I don't know if I have ever used a bottle opener (at least not since I was very young :think: ) but the carabiner worked great as well but I used the clip way more.  Speaking of which I believe that this is the most functional pocket clip that I have ever used :cheers: I really like the slim lineness of it and how easily it clipped to my pocket.  Overall I don't believe that I could have found a better MT in it's size and capability (except for maybe the PST ;) ) I am very much thrilled to have gotten this MT and once again thanks for it MT.O ;) :cheers: :D

This is all I could think of for now to say about it so any questions guys feel free and ask I am sure with enough goading :pok: I could find something I didn't like about this engineering feat :tu:

I also am sorry that the review sounds so one sided but I just couldn't find much wrong with it :D (at least since it's a light duty tool)

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #55 on: January 20, 2009, 01:23:49 PM
I got a few neck knives, but no new tools.

I luv neck knives! I have a few, maybe you could start a thread and
drop a pic in the knives section :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69