Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Combo review

Gareth · 14 · 2454

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Combo review
on: November 23, 2008, 02:05:50 PM
This being MultiTool I thought I would look a one of the most versatile tools to be found on a SAK, the Victorinox Combo tool.  The Combo tool is found mainly on the smaller 84mm knives with the Compact being the only current 91mm knife to carry the tool.  It notably features on two of the more desirable out of production knives the Scientist and the Yeoman. 

Yeoman

So what can this tool do for us?  First and foremost it acts as both can and bottle opener.  As a can opener it doesn’t quite match up to the excellent dedicated can opener that features on most Victorinox knives but it is more than able to do the job and, lets be honest, how many of us need to use our SAKs to open a can of beans these days?  As a bottle opener I find it better than the standard Vic tool.  To my mind the hooking arm gains a much better grip on the underside of the cap and is far less likely to slip. 

Combo Family

Huntsman Slim

There is more I hear you gasp?  Yes there is.  Also featured on this is the wire stripping/bending notch.  Not a feature I ever use myself but as it only adds to the feature list I’m not complaining.  Lastly we come to the screwdriver tip.  This is sized somewhere between the two sizes found on most other SAKs and is about the right size to fit a No4 or No6 slotted screw.  Now one of the features most loved about the Vic can opener is the small flat driver that also works very well on Phillips and Pozidrive screws.  Not many would want to give that option up.  Happily you don’t have to as the Combo tool also fills this role.  I admit that it is a more tricky operation as you have to hold the knife at 45 deg and insert the point into the screw head but in an emergence it can be done.

In fairness I will add some of the drawbacks to the Combo tool.  Because it replaces the small blade it is noticeable thinner than the other openers and so is weaker than the cap lifter and so not so sturdy as a prying tool.   Also by losing the opener layer you also lose the awl that is mounted on the back.  The biggest advantage to the Combo tool however is the fact that it allows for a SAK that is a layer thinner and so makes for a knife that is that bit more pocket friendly.  All in all it strikes me as one of the most versatile tools to be found and it is a shame it doesn’t feature on more knives.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 02:41:47 PM by Gareth UK »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Combo review
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:12:55 PM
Very novel, and interesting review mate, I really enjoyed it :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 02:23:30 PM
Thank you.  Since I only have a PST and s Super Tool and both have been reviewed far better than I could, I thought I would try and do something a bit different.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 02:32:17 PM
ooh man,combo-tools :drool:

i love those,as i really really HATE the regular vic´s can opener thats totally weird,cause they just have to put that useless tiny flathead in tip of the opener,the flathead that is too shallow to reach in any sunken screw.

great review,i like that u had some unique idea.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 05:58:30 PM
Nice different review that buddy.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 06:51:24 PM
 :o I like that tool  :tu: Good review of it as well :cheers: Man Vic sure knows how to pack tools onto something :D

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:18:42 PM
:o I like that tool  :tu: Good review of it as well :cheers: Man Vic sure knows how to pack tools onto something :D
That they do :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:42:17 PM
Fantastic!  With your permission, I'd love to publish that this month on SOSAKOnline!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:43:47 PM
Great idea boss :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 11:57:29 PM
Fantastic!  With your permission, I'd love to publish that this month on SOSAKOnline!

Def

I'd be honoured Boss, thank you. :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 05:12:11 AM
Nice one Gareth! 8)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline tempmultitool

Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 08:27:37 AM
The Combo tool is found mainly on the smaller 84mm knives with the Compact being the only current 91mm knife to carry the tool.

111mm Victorinox Hunter also has the combo, and since it has the great gutting blade (also very multipurpose) it is my favourite SAK :) definitely prefer it over the the much heavier OHT

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:36:50 AM by tempmultitool »

Offline tempmultitool

Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 09:36:12 AM
it is noticeable thinner than the other openers and so is weaker than the cap lifter and so not so sturdy as a prying tool. 
Not true for the one used in the Hunter. This combotool is of the same thickness as the other openers i.e. it is almost twice as thick as the one on the compact

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 09:44:51 AM
I didn't know that, thanks for the update.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%