Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Hunstman Awl loose/play

ar Offline teno_ioti

• Hey! Cheers from Argentina!
Victorinox Hunstman Awl loose/play
on: June 04, 2021, 04:33:44 PM
Hello there!

I have four Victorinox Huntsman in my "rotation"

In about 10 years, two of them has developed significant loose - play in the awl/reamer.

Anyone has this issue?

Ideas to fix it?

Cheers!

Marcelo from Argentina

PS: there is no warranty cover from Victorinox in Argentina, btw...

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Hunstman Awl loose/play
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 12:03:00 AM
Welcome, teno_ioti to MTO! Could be that you have a bit of play in the rivet concerned - remove the scales, and use a drift of the correct size and give the rivet a tap with a hammer to reduce the play you have - shouldn’t take much to correct the problem. Warm water helps in the scale removal with minimal damage for replacement later. Good luck! :tu:

ar Offline teno_ioti

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 02:55:11 AM
Thanks!

I believe is another problem, there is no side to side movement, hope the video make sense!

https://otroblogdemarcelo.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/vid_20210604_140600.mp4

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 03:12:38 AM by teno_ioti »

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 11:58:11 AM
I see what you mean from the video, thanks. Just tested 13 of my knives that have that awl, and whilst some are firmer than others, none seem as loose as yours appears to be. Does it affect the way it works for you? If it does, then I’d return it to the vendor asking for a replacement.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 02:59:40 PM
Thanks!

I believe is another problem, there is no side to side movement, hope the video make sense!

https://otroblogdemarcelo.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/vid_20210604_140600.mp4
I can explain the problem. The back spring is binding between the liners, so the awl is not getting enough pressure from the backspring. Put some thin oil along the back of the SAK, along the whole length of the backspring between the both pivot ends, and 'exercise' the spring by opening and closing the opener tools and the awl. Once the backsping is free from binding, it will press against the awl properly and there will be no wiggle.  :salute:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 03:56:46 PM
I’d not thought of that - nice advice, Max! :tu:

se Offline RF52

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 04:02:44 PM
I can explain the problem. The back spring is binding between the liners, so the awl is not getting enough pressure from the backspring. Put some thin oil along the back of the SAK, along the whole length of the backspring between the both pivot ends, and 'exercise' the spring by opening and closing the opener tools and the awl. Once the backsping is free from binding, it will press against the awl properly and there will be no wiggle.  :salute:
Does that work if the awl is loose like that but in the closed position?

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 04:11:34 PM
Same yes. The backspring is 100% responsible for keeping tension on the awl, and if the backspring is sticking between the liners, the awl will be loose in both the closed and open positions... 
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

se Offline RF52

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2021, 04:18:28 PM
:cheers:

ar Offline teno_ioti

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 07:46:30 PM
I see what you mean from the video, thanks. Just tested 13 of my knives that have that awl, and whilst some are firmer than others, none seem as loose as yours appears to be. Does it affect the way it works for you? If it does, then I’d return it to the vendor asking for a replacement.

Thanks, I have reach them, and took it in about 15 days to the vendor. I have this knife sitting in the bottom of my fly fishing bag and barely use it.

Victorinox in Argentina (the vendor) has a bad reputation of not fixing and try to get away. Hope the best, prepare for the worst...

ar Offline teno_ioti

Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 07:47:54 PM

Good tip. I have already clean and re oil the knife. In fact the back spring rises to 5.10mm in a working model, and in this, rises to 5.15mm. Thanks!!!

Marcelo

ar Offline teno_ioti

Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 07:49:22 PM
Does that work if the awl is loose like that but in the closed position?

Is noticeable the lack of pressure from that spring in the awl. At first I believe it can be corrosion in the pin, but no, the spring does not rise enough

ar Offline teno_ioti

Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 08:10:20 PM
Thank you all for the ideas and help!

Will post soon!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 09:15:54 PM
Try pushing against the closed tools on the awl layer (the can opener and bottle opener), as this can help push the backspring back into its correct position. The openers should move as you move the awl, even slightly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=ZEZC3A939WI&feature=youtu.be

Otherwise it could be the backspring is damaged (maybe a crack), so is not giving the correct tension.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%