Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Roxon.

Chako · 12 · 1403

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Roxon.
on: June 04, 2021, 02:39:57 AM
After reading what ReamerPunch had to say about Roxon in the review section, I decided to add a few pieces into my collection. From what I have seen, I can highly recommend Roxon multi-tools to anyone. They appear to be finely made products and do not feel cheap in the least.

1. Roxon Spirit.

Here is one of those Covid 19 non-contact key tools with a twist. This one looks more like a one piece multi-tool than a useless hands free contact tool.

20210603_185927A by Chako, on Flickr

2. Roxon Spark.

I really like Roxon's business logo, but then I am a sucker for anything martial arts. The box is very nice and even elegant. The sheath is nothing special. It is only single stitched from what I can see, and the materials leave a lot to be desired. It will do the job, but it does not give a good first impression.

20210603_183750A by Chako, on Flickr

Once you get past the sheath, things start to look interesting. The Roxon Spark is made of nicely textured plastic. As a Canadian, the first thing that came to my mind is this is a good tool to use in the winter time. The texturing is very nice as well. The ergonomics are excellent. It feels kinda like a bar of ivory soap.

20210603_183814A by Chako, on Flickr

Opening the tool reassures you that this is a nice bit of quality kit. The jaws are spring loaded which I like. The handles in the open position offer good geometry. This is one comfortable tool to use. The knife blade is one of those Tanto style jobs, but the size of it is luxurious. One side of the handle holds a firesteel. The firesteel is of a good useful size. Furthermore, the black plastic part is also a whistle. The whistle is loud, but you must remove the firesteel/whistle from the handle to use it as there is a bit of handle overhead that partially covers the whistles air exit. That is too bad as it would have been great to use the whistle without removing it from the handle. Included is a nice pocket clip. I see more and more companies including these, and that is always a smart and welcome move. At least you do not have to pay extra for it unlike some other companies. Included is a very sharp awl with sewing hole, a very flat Phillips driver, and a combo bottle/can opener and small flat head screwdriver. The Phillip is a bit too thin for my liking. I tried it on a Phillips screw, and it work, but just. The side slide locking mechanism works nicely. I have no complaints here.

20210603_183910A by Chako, on Flickr

As mentioned before, the ergonomics of the Spark makes this one super comfortable multi-tool to use. I do find it odd that the added wire cutters are not removable or replaceable. They  are riveted in place.

20210603_183956A by Chako, on Flickr

Overall, I quite like the Spark. For its price, it hits way above what one might think.

3. Roxon Phantom.

The Roxon Phantom is one of Roxon's more premium offerings. It is still far cheaper than most other name brand offerings. In fact, I paid 68 Canadian dollars for it. The packaging is a bit odd. There is an outer sleeve holding instructions and an inner box. Mine was odd in that there was no tape holding everything together. I was blown away once I opened the instructions. They gave me an extra set of wire cutters. Who does that in this day and age?

20210603_184139A by Chako, on Flickr

Opening the inner box, you are greeted with a sheath containing the Phantom. The sheath is a slightly better offering from that of the Spark. Instead of Velcro, there is an honest to goodness snap fastener. Some places, there is double stitching evident. The tool itself threw me for a slight loop. I thought it was made out of plastic at first, but then realized it is metal.

20210603_184222A by Chako, on Flickr

One thing I must say, Roxon loves big sized knife blades...and so do I. Included is another liner locked Tanto style knife. Hidden on that side of the tool is a rather ingenious and rather complex mechanism for the scissors. The scissors are rather large as well. They fold and are held in place by a press button that also slides to lock everything once opened. Press the button, rotate the handle to reveal the scissors. When fully open, slide the button to lock everything. The locking mechanism also locks the scissors away as well. The whole thing is rather ingenious if a tad complex. One thing I found though, the scissor handles could use a bit of metal bending to prevent it from digging into the hands when in use. In the other handle, you get a liner locked saw, and a few other tools. The locking mechanism for these tools is located on the side of the handle. One thing I didn't like was the exclusion of nail nicks on these rotating secondary tools. You have to push upwards the side locking button to push out these tools. This allows you to gently pull them out by their sharp and pointy tips. The same button is used to unlock them, but in a downward press. My problem with this, one of the tools is awfully sharp and extracting them this way is a bit dangerous. That awl with eventually bit you.

20210603_184406A by Chako, on Flickr

Here are the scissors. I tried them out and I must say, these might be my favourite scissors ever found on any multi-tool I have used to date. They are freaking awesome! Hidden on the underside is that somewhat complex push/sliding locking button.

20210603_184450A by Chako, on Flickr

Here you can see that button for the scissors on the lower right handle. The Phantom is also comfortable to use. Not as ergonomic as the Spark...but then very few multi-tool are.

20210603_184518A by Chako, on Flickr

So far so good. The Phantom is a quality piece of kit. What really sets this apart from all other multi-tools other than the Havalon, is the interchangeable blade system. If you aren't happy with the Tanto, buy a different blade that will suit your purpose. If you wear a blade down, buy an extra or 2 and you should be set for many years to come. Each extra blade can be bought in a single pack, or a 3 pack of different blades. I bought as many as I could find for my collection. All come in a neat protective case that has a built in carabiner to carry it around. Each case is also magnetized so that you can stack them together. The blade safety cases are very well thought out.

I have the following blades:
1. Talon
2. Straight serrated
3. Spear
4. Drop point
5. Curved
6. Straight plain edge
7. Cutting utility
8. Clip point
9. Sheepsfoot
10. Tanto (comes standard with the Phantom)

I am only missing the spey point blade.

20210603_184714A by Chako, on Flickr

Exchanging the blade is an engineering marvel. You have 2 sliding buttons on the side of the blade handle. Slide them open and the side comes off easily. Simply remove the blade and drop another in. Press the side back on and slide the two buttons to the locking position. Simplicity is a real strength of the Phantom. Just be sure you completely press down all the way or you might risk a wobbly blade. This happened to me twice will I was playing with the system.

20210603_184737A by Chako, on Flickr

It takes only seconds to switch blades. Here I removed the included tanto for the spear point.

20210603_184930A by Chako, on Flickr

Of all of the add on blades, the utility knife is a bit special. I love utility knives, and this is a great addition to the Phantom. Roxon call this blade addition "cutting". I myself would have named the blade "Utility", but what do I know. The carrier for this one is also different from all the others. The carrier opens sideways and carries two utility blades as well as the utility blade holder. It took me far longer to figure out how to open this than I am willing to tell you.  :facepalm:

20210603_185148A by Chako, on Flickr

All other blades fit in better than the cutting blade shown here.

20210603_185342A by Chako, on Flickr

See how it juts out. I guess this is a small price to pay for having disposable utility blades at your beck and call.

20210603_185410A by Chako, on Flickr

20210603_185440A by Chako, on Flickr

I think this is one of my favourite multi-tools of all times. I like utility knives, and just having that option alone is phenomenal. Add all the extra blades and this become a cutting speSmurfpillst. Can I call this the Phenomenal Phantom? I think this name suits it just fine.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:56:24 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Roxon.
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 06:59:13 AM
This thread speaks to me, and has the added bonus of it being a Chako thread as well. :ahhh
I am glad you liked these so much. Roxon has gone above and beyond to design nice tools. :salute:

I have seen the Roxon Spirit, and the name amuses me to no end. Still, I did not get one. Though it definitely looks better than the one-piece versions you see everywhere. Hell, even LM made one.

The Spark is one I have not played with. I had thought of getting one many times, but never did. I am pleasantly surprised to see just how good it is, to be honest. Just wow. I'll get one now. And it is comfortable too? I am sold. :hatsoff:

Ah, the Phantom. That was a fun tool to review. Just great. :like:
I see you got wire-cutter screws too. Mine did not have extra screws.
For the short tools, once I push the switch up, I fan them out by their sides with my thumb, pushing the ones I do not want with my index. I have never been poked by any of them. The chisel even has a slit that helps with traction so you don't have to open it by the sharpened tip.
Them scissors though. Beastly.
And then there's the blade exchange system. Love it. I should really buy a few more. I only have four I think.

I was expecting to see the Phantasy folding knife too, since it also accepts the different blades. A great companion to the Phantom or any other multi-tool really.

Have you got the Storm? This is what put Roxon on the map. The BBQ tool is also great fun to play with.

Oh they also have the Flash, kind of like the Spark's tools but with the Phantom's design, but it does not have the blade exchange capabilities. Still great though. Smoothest blade and saw in the MT world I'd say.

Thanks for sharing. Always great to see these. :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 07:21:05 AM
Thanks Chako for this informative thread. We're sometimes quick to knock brands that may not be 'mainstream', but there's clearly some good design ID that's gone into these design. I guess the question is whether or not the quality holds up in the long run? (they do offer a 10-year warranty though...)

I see they also have a pared-down knife/scissors combo, the K5, that also looks interesting:

(also showing the "sharing mode" between the Phantom and Phantasy Folding Knife)

BTW - Storm model has had an update: blade and scissors upgraded from 3Cr13 to 5Cr15MoV. Lockable saw, removed hook disgorger and added a reamer.
41fb-tBOE4L._SL500_.jpg
* 41fb-tBOE4L._SL500_.jpg (Filesize: 15.72 KB)
4125a3PjMzL._SL500_.jpg
* 4125a3PjMzL._SL500_.jpg (Filesize: 22.76 KB)
18492b714acd86ca647f41814c59ebed.jpg
* 18492b714acd86ca647f41814c59ebed.jpg (Filesize: 68.33 KB)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:43:40 AM by Max Stone »
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 11:33:30 AM
I am limited to what I could find off of Amazon.ca. I do have a BBQ Large tool arriving sometime around Monday. I want a Phantasy so bad after getting the Phantom, that I can taste it...just not anywhere on Amazon.ca though.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 11:40:35 AM
Roxon has made some interesting tools that is for sure :salute: The blades changer has so much potential  :like:

Great pics and thread, Chako  :tu:

RP has made Roxon more mainstream (at least to me) with all his great reviews for sure :salute: :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 11:48:06 AM
oh and I would love to add the Leatherman no-contact key tool to my collection, but they do not sell them in Canada. Part of why I find Leatherman so frustrating to deal with.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 04:01:41 AM
Got another Roxon multi-tool in. This one is absolutely so unique that it is crazy. Meet the Roxon MBT3 BBQ Tool.

20210609_195500A by Chako, on Flickr

This is one BIG tool. The Sheath that is included is nice. It looks like it is only single stitched however, which is a shame.

20210609_195526A by Chako, on Flickr

This is the larger of 2 models that Roxon makes for BBQing. Did I already say this thing is massive? I had some fun examining this tool, trying to figure out how it worked before I looked at the included instruction manual. This is one unique tool. I have several other BBQ multi-tools in my collection. They are all so much smaller than this behemoth.

20210609_195551A by Chako, on Flickr

On the backside is a corkscrew, bottle opener, and the locking mechanism which is the key to this whole tool.

20210609_195610A by Chako, on Flickr

Pressing down on the locking mechanism allows you to slide out both spatula and spatula/fork combo.

20210609_195638A by Chako, on Flickr

If it wasn't big enough, both tools double in size. A liner lock is used to hold them open. The central unit also houses a mini sword. Well, a slight exaggeration as this knife is on the largish side. The lock back used to remove the spatula and fork is also used to lock the blade.

20210609_195753A by Chako, on Flickr

If that wasn't crazy enough for you, one of the tools has a spring loaded hinge that allows you to connect botht he spatula and fork together to create a pair of spring loaded thongs.

20210609_195823A by Chako, on Flickr

20210609_195841A by Chako, on Flickr

This is such an amazing well thought out BBQ tool. Once again, the sheath is a bit of a let down, but the tool most certainly is not.

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 07:17:30 AM
Very cool Chako :like:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 07:41:18 AM
 :iagree: :like:

Some quite ingenious features! I wonder how long the telescopic extensions would hold...
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 08:33:59 AM
Oh, the BBQ tool. What an entertaining multi-tool. Sometimes I take it out of the box and disassemble it just for fun.  :D
And that blade, oh my.

I've reviewed that one as well.
I'll just leave these here.

Roxon Brand Review
KS S501
MBT3 S601
Storm S801
Storm S801S 30 Day Challenge
Flash S803
Phantom S802

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 09:59:49 AM
 :tu:

us Offline Jim the Brave

• No Life Club
  • Hardwood sawyer, and follower of Jesus Christ
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 02:22:22 PM
Got another Roxon multi-tool in. This one is absolutely so unique that it is crazy. Meet the Roxon MBT3 BBQ Tool.

This is such an amazing well thought out BBQ tool. Once again, the sheath is a bit of a let down, but the tool most certainly is not.

Man they missed such an opportunity to include cutout tools (like a Kentucky wrench) in the spatula blade.....  ::)
This life is merely a staging ground for eternity. Are you preparing for the rest of forever?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%