Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool holster on SAK - concept

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Tool holster on SAK - concept
on: June 06, 2021, 07:28:56 PM
Yes, tool holster on a SAK. Not a holster to put a SAK in.

My carry around the house is my MiniChamp and my Explorer, plus my M2 SeberTool for the pliers. (The Explorer is great, but I wish it had on-board pliers.)

I tried the SeberTool on a key ring on the MiniChamp, but it was too bulky and rattley with a Photon Micro-Light attached as well. I tried hanging it from the Explorer's key ring, but also too bulky and rattley.

Then inspiration struck! I had some ~1 inch elastic strap so wrapped a piece tightly around the Explorer as the main sleeve, then another sleeve around the SeberTool, then connected them.

I'm not sure I'd trust the elastic hanging on a belt or pack, but with the Explorer on a suspension clip in my pants pocket, if something slides off, it will stay in the pocket.

This setup could be used to attach any small item to a SAK - flashlight, lighter, etc. If I can come up with a tube-like sleeve, I might put my hex bit coupler and a few drive bits on the other side.

Take a look at the photos and let me know what you think. (Please excuse the staples holding the concept together. After I test it out, I'll sew it.)
Explorer holster 1.jpg
* Explorer holster 1.jpg (Filesize: 510.37 KB)
Explorer holster 2.jpg
* Explorer holster 2.jpg (Filesize: 447.48 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
65mm: Wenger Esquire
74mm: Executive
85mm: Evolution S557, Traveler,
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer
93mm: Pioneer Alox

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Tool holster on SAK - concept
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 10:38:53 PM
Looks like a quick and inexpensive alternative to the many pocket organizers/sheaths out there.
- Steve

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 11:18:08 PM
It's brilliant, if it doesn't create a hot spot pressing on your leg or wearing holes in your pockets.  The only way to find out is to try it for a month and report on the results. :cheers: :popcorn:

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 02:00:30 AM
Second Version

The friction of pulling it out of the pocket slid off the sleeve a couple of times so I added a "shoulder strap" of quarter inch elastic strap over the top. Slide-off problem solved.

I also added a small strip of wire at the bottom of the pliers sleeve to prevent the pliers from sliding down. It catches them between the Phillips arm and one of the jaws.

Photos attached...
Explorer holster 3.jpg
* Explorer holster 3.jpg (Filesize: 508.13 KB)
Explorer holster 4.jpg
* Explorer holster 4.jpg (Filesize: 515.31 KB)
SAKs:
58mm: Bijou (3), Classic SD (7), Mini Champ Plus (mod), Alox Classic SD, Rambler (3), Companion
91mm: Champion "c", Swiss Champ (4), Explorer (3), Deluxe Tinker, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Outdoorsman Plus, Champion "a", Champion Plus, Timekeeper Alarm, Golfer

us Offline SteveP

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 02:41:57 AM
It's brilliant, if it doesn't create a hot spot pressing on your leg or wearing holes in your pockets.  The only way to find out is to try it for a month and report on the results. :cheers: :popcorn:
Thanks, Alan. It should be OK. The way I have it on the suspension clip leaves the top of the knife against my leg. So the pliers sleeve is on the side, not rubbing against leg or pants side of pocket.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works!
SAKs:

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 06:17:51 PM
I like that idea for holding a tube of Chapstick.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%