Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

*** The Dean51 30-day ***

Nix · 2460 · 50778

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: *** The Dean51 30-day ***
Reply #2310 on: July 30, 2021, 07:03:29 PM
Sweet 23!   :tu:

Thanks David!!! :salute:

I really like some of those cattle knives you've posted!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2311 on: July 30, 2021, 07:12:26 PM
Retro Fuzz Day 30 - Final!

NEW KNIFE, NEW KNIFE, NEW, KNIFE, NEW KNIFE, NEW KNIFE, NEW KNIFE...  :ahhh
How's that for serendipity!? This just arrived this morning!

(Image removed from quote.)

The Stockman/Serpentine is probably my favourite traditional pattern, it just ticks all the right boxes for me, and if I had to pick one model, as much as I like the Case 32s and the GEC 66s, I'd half to pick the Queen #26 as the darling choicest choice one. So much so infact, I've just obtained another one.

This has been a highly enjoyable challenge, I've really relished it, it's all been too short. Thanks to all who partaked, to the GAW givers and to their winners!  :cheers:... and special thanks too to Nix and Steve who rekindled my interest in traditional folders when I was at a low ebb - it proved an invaluable distraction.  :hatsoff:

Here's to you Dean.  :cheers:
That is a beautiful addition and I can see why you really like the pattern.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2312 on: July 30, 2021, 07:17:33 PM
Yesterday was a busy one and I missed my post so I'm posting two today.

Day 29

Queen Teardrop Jack

Day 30

Schrade USA Uncle Henry Stockman 897UH

This was the last pocketknife my grandfather owned.

Both are beautiful knives.  Sentimental knives are awesome, I hope it brings you much joy.

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #2313 on: July 30, 2021, 07:40:30 PM
Day 30

I started this challenge with a Queen in honor of Dean51,,, and it only seems right that I cross the finish line with another Queen in his honor.

And as to the sub-challenge,,,, below are my official challenge pictures.

It's been a blast y'all,,,

20210725_200649 (850 x 489).jpg
* 20210725_200649 (850 x 489).jpg (Filesize: 83.6 KB)
20210725_200711 (850 x 527).jpg
* 20210725_200711 (850 x 527).jpg (Filesize: 112.55 KB)
d51.jpg
* d51.jpg (Filesize: 111.53 KB)
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2314 on: July 30, 2021, 07:41:01 PM
Another GAW :o :ahhh

Very nice, Sos :hatsoff: and congrats DTL and Alan :woohoo:

Lots of great stuff to end Day 29 and Day 30 is coming along awesomely  :ahhh :drool: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2315 on: July 30, 2021, 07:42:25 PM
Day 30 of 30

:woohoo: Finishing put the challenge with a Rough Rider :salute: It is a bone handled Trapper in cow bone :like: I picked through several of these to find this one :salute: I really like the colors of the handle :tu:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2316 on: July 30, 2021, 07:59:00 PM
Day 30 of 30

:woohoo: Finishing put the challenge with a Rough Rider :salute: It is a bone handled Trapper in cow bone :like: I picked through several of these to find this one :salute: I really like the colors of the handle :tu:

:drool:

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #2317 on: July 30, 2021, 07:59:24 PM
Day 30

Well, here we are. Just got a new pair of trainers today, heavily discounted thanks to a voucher from work as a thanks for the last 15 months. Or whatever it's been... The Peanut opened the box, cut the tags, then had a pose...

It's been fun. I've enjoyed carrying the few trads I've now got and seeing what they can do. I can see a few more in my future for definite. And it's been a pleasure seeing the many different knives you've all got. For someone who joined here for the SAKs alone it's been an eye opener. :cheers:
We have the tools, we have the talent!

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
*** The Dean51 30-day ***
Reply #2318 on: July 30, 2021, 08:10:12 PM
Day 30:
It was a good ride:

Thank you all for entertaining banter and so many so cool knifes and pics!

Having said that I’am missing my SAKs ;)
by this axe I rule

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #2319 on: July 30, 2021, 09:07:38 PM
Good job everyone  :cheers:

Day 30, first run out since Nessmuk for the Ka-bar

Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2320 on: July 30, 2021, 09:32:33 PM
Day 30

Schrade USA Uncle Henry Stockman 897UH

This was the last pocketknife my grandfather owned.

Sorry I missed that.  :hatsoff:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2321 on: July 30, 2021, 09:35:36 PM
Day 30

Day 30, this one’s gone quickly, been a great challenge, thanks for awl the great posts everyone :tu: :like:

Saved what is for me the best until last.
Given to me by my granddad about 50 years ago and my very first knife. It looked pretty well like this then, I’ve never sharpened it, (it’s as blunt as anything!), just scraped my name into it years ago and had ever since

... And this, that's a lovely knife.  :like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2322 on: July 30, 2021, 09:47:26 PM
Day 30:

This has been a fantastic challenge for me. Not just because I am now the custodian of a really lovely Camillus Stockman, but because I really came to appreciate the GEC #23, known as the Trapper.

I had hoped to get out to do some fishing and camping with the Trapper, but between the heat and the wildfires, I haven't done much. Nevertheless, the Trapper has been an excellent EDC companion knife. It got used for awl sorts of corse and tasks and performed brilliantly.

What I liked:

• Big blades. Not one, but two. Each has their place for me. Over-awl, the straight blade was the most useful, but the spey blade was used a good bit and is very handy. The two together made for a very functional cutting tool.

• Both blades took an exceptionally nice edge. The broad blades also helped create a nice slicey geometry.

• The ergonomics are really nice. The big handle is great to use, a bit like a Buck 110. It is comfortable in upside-down saber grip as well and right-side-up saber grip. The handle provided nice control when doing fiddly tasks like cutting up a chicken.

• Solid construction. Obviously I didn't give the Trapper a destruction test or een put it to really hard use, but it is well made and feels solid. After a month of use it  show no sign of significant wear.

• Traditional styling. I'm a big fan of the old-school pocket knife. I like the new stuff, but there isn't much charm in a Spyderco Endura.

The negatives...

• The carbon steel blades were quick to tarnish and take on 'patina'. I don't mind this, but it is a reminder that these knives need to be kept dry and protected from corrosion. I've a Case Trapper with some 'patina' spots from a long hot day of hiking. The cool knife condensed sweat and rusted before supper time. I love the edge of carbon steel, but it does require some maintenance and care.

• Big and heavy. So....I like the size and weight of this knife. Smaller knives can sometimes feel like toys or novelties to me. This Trapper feels like a genuine working knife. I've no doubt that it would be good for skining beaver or dressing out a deer. But...for EDC it's a bit big. For the last week I carried the #23 in the Buck 110 sheath pictured above. This was really handy, especially in the garden where I could just reach the knife with a dirty paw and not have to dig into my pocket. And the weigh twas a non-issue in the sheath. My reality was that the wright was a non-issue with in the pocket carry as well; I just got used to it quickly.

• Stiff springs. As I've usesd the #23, the springs have "broken in" a bit. But hey are still stiff. It is best to pause and take a very deliberate approach to opening the blades. Using the big leverage available from the long blade and handles, the blades open nicely, but it pays to do it carefully every time. I can get a a Buck 110 open with just my left hand, even when cold. I'd have to get really creative to open this one with one-hand (say, if my dominant hand were injured.). I'm able to open the spey blade using my left hand and right foot. In a crisis, it could be done. But.....

Some of the drawbacks notwithstanding, I really like this knife. I don't think it will replace the Buck 110 for me, but it may just be a close second. I hope GEC doesn't do a run of #23's anytime soon, I'll be too tempted to get a back-up.  ;)

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2323 on: July 30, 2021, 09:54:26 PM
Final post completed.

I'd like to offer a big congratulations to awl who participated and completed the challenge. It was a lot of fun to do this challenge and see awl the great knives in various styles. The traditional knife world is so deep and rich, it seems pretty easy to get lost in the various rabbit holes. I can see why Dean was such a fan, and am pleased to follow in his footsteps to some small degree.

Thank you to Dean, now gone, for helping to keep the Traditional Knife passion alive here on MTo.  :hatsoff:

Thanks to awl for the great participation and fun atmosphere that youz guys created.  :salute:

Thanks to Steve and David for riding herd on this challenge. Awesome work guys!   :tu: :tu:

A huge Thanks to Steve, NutSAK, and Sos24 for their generous give-aways during the challenge. Those were unexpected and delightful! I'm only sorry I didn't win them awl......  :rofl:  :hatsoff:

I hope that we will run this challenge again next July. I know that I'll be up for it!  :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2324 on: July 30, 2021, 09:58:12 PM
Day 30 and it's that Douk Douk again
20210730_205543_copy_1052x622.jpg
* 20210730_205543_copy_1052x622.jpg (Filesize: 459.64 KB)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2325 on: July 30, 2021, 09:59:27 PM
...Nixy stuff...

Lovely write-up!  :like:

:cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2326 on: July 30, 2021, 10:02:13 PM
Oh.....the rib challenge.....

uh....

Looks like I take the bronze medal:

I smoked these for about 3 hours, and then cooked 'em wrapped in foil for about 3 more. Once again I had a hard time keeping the smoker down below 250ºF. At times it hit 300ºF.

They were simply seasoned with salt and pepper and smoke. Here's how I scored them:

Appearance: 3/5 -- they look OK, I think. I had planned to do ahoney & apple cider glaze, but didn't pull that off.
Taste: 3/5 -- good pork flavor, nice smoke, but maybe a bit dull. These ribs were a bit lean; fat is flavor! ( The next day the leftover rib meat was cooked up with some BBQ sauce, that was pretty dynamite. )
Texture: 3/5 -- overdone. Bones all but fell out. Meat just pulled apart and was a touch on the dry side. Again, a bit of extra fat would have helped.

*** sigh *** Only 9/15.

Guess I'll have to practice more!    :D

Congratulations to GA Dad and Alan for the gold and silver entries. I'll let you guys duke it out for bragging rights!   :tu:

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #2327 on: July 30, 2021, 10:03:18 PM
Day 30:

This has been a fantastic challenge for me. Not just because I am now the custodian of a really lovely Camillus Stockman, but because I really came to appreciate the GEC #23, known as the Trapper.

I had hoped to get out to do some fishing and camping with the Trapper, but between the heat and the wildfires, I haven't done much. Nevertheless, the Trapper has been an excellent EDC companion knife. It got used for awl sorts of corse and tasks and performed brilliantly.

What I liked:

• Big blades. Not one, but two. Each has their place for me. Over-awl, the straight blade was the most useful, but the spey blade was used a good bit and is very handy. The two together made for a very functional cutting tool.

• Both blades took an exceptionally nice edge. The broad blades also helped create a nice slicey geometry.

• The ergonomics are really nice. The big handle is great to use, a bit like a Buck 110. It is comfortable in upside-down saber grip as well and right-side-up saber grip. The handle provided nice control when doing fiddly tasks like cutting up a chicken.

• Solid construction. Obviously I didn't give the Trapper a destruction test or een put it to really hard use, but it is well made and feels solid. After a month of use it  show no sign of significant wear.

• Traditional styling. I'm a big fan of the old-school pocket knife. I like the new stuff, but there isn't much charm in a Spyderco Endura.

The negatives...

• The carbon steel blades were quick to tarnish and take on 'patina'. I don't mind this, but it is a reminder that these knives need to be kept dry and protected from corrosion. I've a Case Trapper with some 'patina' spots from a long hot day of hiking. The cool knife condensed sweat and rusted before supper time. I love the edge of carbon steel, but it does require some maintenance and care.

• Big and heavy. So....I like the size and weight of this knife. Smaller knives can sometimes feel like toys or novelties to me. This Trapper feels like a genuine working knife. I've no doubt that it would be good for skining beaver or dressing out a deer. But...for EDC it's a bit big. For the last week I carried the #23 in the Buck 110 sheath pictured above. This was really handy, especially in the garden where I could just reach the knife with a dirty paw and not have to dig into my pocket. And the weigh twas a non-issue in the sheath. My reality was that the wright was a non-issue with in the pocket carry as well; I just got used to it quickly.

• Stiff springs. As I've usesd the #23, the springs have "broken in" a bit. But hey are still stiff. It is best to pause and take a very deliberate approach to opening the blades. Using the big leverage available from the long blade and handles, the blades open nicely, but it pays to do it carefully every time. I can get a a Buck 110 open with just my left hand, even when cold. I'd have to get really creative to open this one with one-hand (say, if my dominant hand were injured.). I'm able to open the spey blade using my left hand and right foot. In a crisis, it could be done. But.....

Some of the drawbacks notwithstanding, I really like this knife. I don't think it will replace the Buck 110 for me, but it may just be a close second. I hope GEC doesn't do a run of #23's anytime soon, I'll be too tempted to get a back-up.  ;)

Great review! I think moving forward I too will try to use only one knife in a challenge. It has been rather cool watching the patina show up on your trapper.

Thanks for a cool challenge!
Jason - N4RBZ- A Harley can get you through times of no money better than money can get you through times of no Harley____O~`o__

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2328 on: July 30, 2021, 10:04:04 PM
Great review! I think moving forward I too will try to use only one knife in a challenge. It has been rather cool watching the patina show up on your trapper.

Thanks for a cool challenge!

I really enjoy using one knife and "getting to grips" with it.  :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2329 on: July 30, 2021, 10:05:53 PM
Lovely write-up!  :like:

Cheers, Fuzzy.

BTW: nice beanie! Welcome to the MTo Team Zissou.  :cheers:

us Offline GA1dad

• No Life Club
Reply #2330 on: July 30, 2021, 10:08:45 PM
Oh.....the rib challenge.....

uh....

Looks like I take the bronze medal:

I smoked these for about 3 hours, and then cooked 'em wrapped in foil for about 3 more. Once again I had a hard time keeping the smoker down below 250ºF. At times it hit 300ºF.

They were simply seasoned with salt and pepper and smoke. Here's how I scored them:

Appearance: 3/5 -- they look OK, I think. I had planned to do ahoney & apple cider glaze, but didn't pull that off.
Taste: 3/5 -- good pork flavor, nice smoke, but maybe a bit dull. These ribs were a bit lean; fat is flavor! ( The next day the leftover rib meat was cooked up with some BBQ sauce, that was pretty dynamite. )
Texture: 3/5 -- overdone. Bones all but fell out. Meat just pulled apart and was a touch on the dry side. Again, a bit of extra fat would have helped.

*** sigh *** Only 9/15.

Guess I'll have to practice more!    :D

Congratulations to GA Dad and Alan for the gold and silver entries. I'll let you guys duke it out for bragging rights!   :tu:

That's a pretty unique way of cooking ribs. Since we all didn't do them that way,,, I'd have a hard time saying anything bad about them. If I had tried that way,, they could have absolutley sucked,,, who knows. One thing is for sure,,,,, yours look mighty tasty! I'm betting the meat would have been outstanding on a biscuit!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2331 on: July 30, 2021, 10:14:29 PM

Is there anything that isn't good on a biscuit?   :think:   :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2332 on: July 30, 2021, 10:17:56 PM
Oooh...just requested my 30-GEC badge.

Remember to apply for your 30-GEC or 30-Trad badge, which ever is appropriate, after completing this challenge!  :2tu:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2333 on: July 30, 2021, 10:22:07 PM
Cheers, Fuzzy.

BTW: nice beanie! Welcome to the MTo Team Zissou.  :cheers:

Ah balls, what've I gotten myself into?! I just did it to take the pee out of you.  :facepalm:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2334 on: July 30, 2021, 10:22:46 PM

Is there anything that isn't good on a biscuit?   :think:   :rofl:

Soup.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2335 on: July 30, 2021, 11:00:53 PM
 :like: Very nice Poncho!!
Day 30 of 30

Barry

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2336 on: July 30, 2021, 11:08:30 PM
Day 30

A couple of Queens in Deans honor !

Just lovely.  :dd:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket