Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help IDing a two blade Traditional

00 Offline SgtTowser

Need help IDing a two blade Traditional
on: June 23, 2021, 10:29:45 PM
It is a coke bottle, or swell center, pattern not sure which.

Main Blade long pull, just says stainless steel

Small blade a sheep’s foot

Three pin scales, scales appear to be bone

Liners brass

Nickel steel ends with slight points on the ends

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Need help IDing a two blade Traditional
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 10:55:13 PM
It looks like something possibly from Parker Cut Co.  I think swell-center half whittler is a good description.
- Terry

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 11:27:13 PM
It looks like something possibly from Parker Cut Co.  I think swell-center half whittler is a good description.

That seems about right. Thank you so much for the assistance.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 03:53:52 AM
I'd agree on saying that it's a Half Whittler.
Purdy too.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 04:12:27 AM
My first thought was two-blade pen.  What is the length closed?

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 08:31:53 AM
The pattern is what is normally referred to as a "tuxedo" pen. The jigging on the bone says to me that it is of Japanese origin. I have seen a lot of knives marked "Stainless Steel" that were Japanese. If I had to guess I would venture it was likely made by Mitsuboshi.(not Mitsubishi the car maker).Here is an example of a Japanese made tuxedo with very similar bolsters and a Mitsuboshi miniature multi-blade with the characteristic jigging.
JapaneseFauxPearlTuxedo1.JPG
* JapaneseFauxPearlTuxedo1.JPG (Filesize: 38.44 KB)
MitsuboshiMultiBladeMini.jpg
* MitsuboshiMultiBladeMini.jpg (Filesize: 44.41 KB)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 06:44:52 PM
The reason I would call it a half-whittler instead of a pen is the clip and sheepsfoot blade combination.  Rarely do pen knives have a sheepsfoot secondary.

SgtTowser, what is the length of the frame?
- Terry

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 12:24:36 AM
It is a coke bottle, or swell center, pattern not sure which.

Traditionally a,"coke bottle" pattern is usually a large single blade folding hunter and if it has two blades they are both on one end.
A "swell center" is usually thought of as swelling only on one side;usually the blade well side.
I'm not sure that the term,"half whittler" is a valid term.As it looks to be an equal end,I guess you could call it a,"half senator".
I'll stick with the "tuxedo" moniker.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 03:25:20 AM
I don't name the patterns, but half-whittler is certainly a valid term according the companies that manufacture them. It refers to a two-bladed whittler rather than typical 3-bladed whittlers with two secondary blades. Swell-center whittlers are often equal end as well. They swell in the center of the frame, not to one side, and that is why they are named as such.

Tuxedo knives are typically gentleman's knives with very thin frames and shallow blades similar to pen knives, not a full clip and sheepsfoot blades as whittlers have.

The knife at the top of the picture below is a swell-center whittler.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 05:11:31 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 04:02:24 AM
The pattern is what is normally referred to as a "tuxedo" pen. The jigging on the bone says to me that it is of Japanese origin. I have seen a lot of knives marked "Stainless Steel" that were Japanese. If I had to guess I would venture it was likely made by Mitsuboshi.(not Mitsubishi the car maker).Here is an example of a Japanese made tuxedo with very similar bolsters and a Mitsuboshi miniature multi-blade with the characteristic jigging.

Ray, you convinced me with that top photo.

Looks like mine is a  tuxedo knife given a rustic twist.  :think:

I carried it today and the bolsters work exceptionally well at helping the knife not catch on things in the bottom of the pocket, while the crown tip makes it easy to distinguish blind and pluck out.

Did the American traditionals use this shape of bolster too, or was this a Japanese wrinkle?

The down side of my Mitsuboshi is the scales aren’t champfered, so it has too much edge to be considered a smooth operator the way most good quality American made traditionals are. I can take or leave the scale face, but too much edge spoils the hold for me.

But it’s a well made knife otherwise. The blades are exceptionally refined for an entry level traditional.

Also do the Japanese still make low end traditionals or did China run them out of that market?

TIA

00 Offline SgtTowser

Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 04:10:36 AM
I don't name the patterns, but half-whittler is certainly a valid term according the companies that manufacture them. It refers to a two-bladed whittler rather than typical 3-bladed whittlers with two secondary blades. Swell-center whittlers are all equal end as well. They swell in the center of the frame, not to one side, and that is why they are named as such.

Tuxedo knives are typically gentleman's knives with very thin frames and shallow blades similar to pen knives, not a full clip and sheepsfoot blades as whittlers do.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well after Ray persuaded me, now I see your case and it’s very persuasive too. The judge is going to have to retire to his chambers unable to decide!  :dunno:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 07:29:21 AM
I don't name the patterns, but half-whittler is certainly a valid term according the companies that manufacture them. It refers to a two-bladed whittler rather than typical 3-bladed whittlers with two secondary blades. Swell-center whittlers are often equal end as well. They swell in the center of the frame, not to one side, and that is why they are named as such.

Tuxedo knives are typically gentleman's knives with very thin frames and shallow blades similar to pen knives, not a full clip and sheepsfoot blades as whittlers have.

I think I may have to clarify what I posted before.
First of all I have never heard the term "half whittler" used before. If you say that certain companies use that term then I will take your word for it.
When I stated that they usually swell only on one side I should have said either the top(spine)of the knife or the bottom(well)of the knife.I am posting some examples of what I meant.
As for tuxedo pattern knives being thin and delicate I will grant that some are such,but take a look at a couple of the one's I am posting.Those are far from being delicate.
Another term that I don't favor is the term,"half congress"that some use to describe a two bladed congress,"PATTERN" knife.To me it is simply a congress pattern.I also have an 8 bladed congress pattern knife;would you call that a "double congress"?
I guess it all boils down to a matter of semantics.A lot of people do not consider a knife to be a true whittler pattern if it has a pen and a manicure blade as secondary blades.
EdgeGermanyTuxedo2018 001.jpg
* EdgeGermanyTuxedo2018 001.jpg (Filesize: 55.4 KB)
Bingham'sHardwareMarkSide.JPG
* Bingham'sHardwareMarkSide.JPG (Filesize: 50.78 KB)
WaucondaCut.Co3BladeMarkSide.JPG
* WaucondaCut.Co3BladeMarkSide.JPG (Filesize: 50.55 KB)
HenrySears&Son18653BackspringTuxedo2018 001.jpg
* HenrySears&Son18653BackspringTuxedo2018 001.jpg (Filesize: 53.66 KB)

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 07:30:38 AM
A couple more
A.BurkinshawTuxedoMarkSide.JPG
* A.BurkinshawTuxedoMarkSide.JPG (Filesize: 49.18 KB)
UlsterTuxedos2018 004.jpg
* UlsterTuxedos2018 004.jpg (Filesize: 55.6 KB)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 01:24:53 PM
I think I may have to clarify what I posted before.
First of all I have never heard the term "half whittler" used before. If you say that certain companies use that term then I will take your word for it.
When I stated that they usually swell only on one side I should have said either the top(spine)of the knife or the bottom(well)of the knife.I am posting some examples of what I meant.

You've posted pictures of three swell-center knives that swell on both the top and bottom of the frame (pics 2,5,6), and one that swells on just the spine (pic 3).  One of the knives you've shown (pic 1) is a serpentine frame and not swell-center.  In my experience, a swell center usually swells on both top and bottom but not always, as you've pointed out.    However, that is beside the point here, as the OP's knife is most definitely swell-center, and that's the knife we're trying to identify.  Most tuxedos are swell-center as well, but just being swell-center is not what defines a knife as a tuxedo.

I guess it all boils down to a matter of semantics.A lot of people do not consider a knife to be a true whittler pattern if it has a pen and a manicure blade as secondary blades.

It most certainly does boil down to semantics, and many times comes down to the opinion of the manufacturer and what they want to call it.  Some patterns are built for specific purpose, some are not.  If they are built for specific purpose, they will typically be given a name reflecting that purpose such as "whittler", "stockman", or "trapper".  If they are not purpose-built, they will have a less-specific name such as "jack", "barlow", or "tuxedo" which describes a particular size, shape, or configuration rather than purpose.  My personal experience is that manufacturers frequently call a swell-center frame knife with full clip and sheepsfoot blades on opposite ends a "whittler", because typically they are built for that specific purpose.  That is why I would call it a whittler.  I don't believe I've ever seen that combination called a tuxedo by any manufacturer, thus I would not call it a tuxedo.

But, when it comes down to it, to ID the model of the knife you would need to know what the manufacturer called it, not what you and I speculate that it is.

Nice knives, as usual, Ray.  :tu:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 01:38:46 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31