Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rationalizing and striking a balance…carrying a knife and a multitool.

ph Offline Zephon

From office worker to house-husband, I’ve been carrying and using a Micra with me since September 2001.

It’s all about the scissors.  Yeah, I carry a Manager with the car keys but if I just go out on an office commute without the car, it’s always been the Micra.  Where I come from, people are gonna start to look at your funny if you start to open a bag of chips for the kids using a knife (even with a 84mm or 91mm SAK).  They won’t look twice with the scissors.

I guess the only times I didn’t carry the Micra were in Osaka and Tokyo. First I wasn’t sure if it was ok to carry/use something like that. Second, well, everything is thought about properly in Japan - from ketchup pouches to food wrappers - that you just need your fingers to open something up.

When I needed a knife as a back-up, I carried either a 111mm Picknicker or a Waiter simply because I *might* need a can opener as well which isn’t in the Micra.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
I spend very little of my waking day without a bladed device close at hand. It's been that way since 1990 or 1991, when I was 12 or 13.

As a kid, a Swiss Army knife was almost always the choice. In 2000, after I got out of U.S. Navy boot camp, that remained much the same. Later in my enlistment, I became enamored with pliers-based multi-tools. I also briefly owned a Kershaw Chive. In 2008, I bought a Super Tinker that went almost everywhere with me for over 12 years. Other such things were added in the ensuing years.

Much has changed this year. One of those was Carhartt discontinuing my favorite jeans. I've switched to tactical pants and haven't looked back. Said pants have slim pockets on the sides that are perfect for carrying a knife with a pocket clip. They also make carrying a knife in a dedicated pocket much easier. I've also made a neck lanyard or two solely for 58mm SAKs.

Returning to the main topic, I will sometimes carry my Spyderco Delica or Buck 112 in the aforementioned slim pocket. That's usually if I need to access a knife quickly and/or anticipate heavier duty usage. Most everything I need a knife for is fairly light duty and doesn't require rapid access, so SAKs and old-school slip joints almost always suffice. Though I own a Leatherman Rebar, it's not a regular carrier. I'm no longer fond of sheaths that protrude above my pants' waistband, such tools are a little bigger than I like for pocket carry, and the Rebar was bought for the purpose of going into a survival kit. Besides, I'm way too attached to SAKs.

Two final thoughts: if I head out into the wilderness, I will have a fixed blade with me. And I can carry pretty much any manual folder I want, as long as the blade isn't over three inches (dang blade length limit!).

Enough rambling from me. This thread was a great read!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
 :like:.  Thank you for sharing your experience.  Thank you for your service  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Thank you for your service  :salute:.
My pleasure!

A further note on the aforementioned Kershaw Chive: that was the first flipper I owned. I thought it was really cool at the time, though I didn't get used to the frame lock during my brief ownership. I say brief because it worked itself out of the pocket of my coveralls one day, and I couldn't locate it. That was aboard USS Peleliu, likely sometime in 2004. I can only hope that whoever found it got some good use out of it. Another Chive is now in my collection. It may get passed on to a new owner, though.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I had a LEEK and wow it flipped hard.  I made the mistake and gave it a high polish.  It was hard to handle at that point and gave it a new home. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
I spend very little of my waking day without a bladed device close at hand. It's been that way since 1990 or 1991, when I was 12 or 13.

As a kid, a Swiss Army knife was almost always the choice. In 2000, after I got out of U.S. Navy boot camp, that remained much the same. Later in my enlistment, I became enamored with pliers-based multi-tools. I also briefly owned a Kershaw Chive. In 2008, I bought a Super Tinker that went almost everywhere with me for over 12 years. Other such things were added in the ensuing years.

Much has changed this year. One of those was Carhartt discontinuing my favorite jeans. I've switched to tactical pants and haven't looked back. Said pants have slim pockets on the sides that are perfect for carrying a knife with a pocket clip. They also make carrying a knife in a dedicated pocket much easier. I've also made a neck lanyard or two solely for 58mm SAKs.

Returning to the main topic, I will sometimes carry my Spyderco Delica or Buck 112 in the aforementioned slim pocket. That's usually if I need to access a knife quickly and/or anticipate heavier duty usage. Most everything I need a knife for is fairly light duty and doesn't require rapid access, so SAKs and old-school slip joints almost always suffice. Though I own a Leatherman Rebar, it's not a regular carrier. I'm no longer fond of sheaths that protrude above my pants' waistband, such tools are a little bigger than I like for pocket carry, and the Rebar was bought for the purpose of going into a survival kit. Besides, I'm way too attached to SAKs.

Two final thoughts: if I head out into the wilderness, I will have a fixed blade with me. And I can carry pretty much any manual folder I want, as long as the blade isn't over three inches (dang blade length limit!).

Enough rambling from me. This thread was a great read!

Carhartt got me too!

What are they thinking?

us Offline Farmer X

Carhartt got me too!

What are they thinking?
Who knows? At least I have more knife and multi-tool carry options now!  :woohoo:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
I've swapped around a fair bit over the years, but I think I've finally come up with what works best for me. Two multitools, one (usually a Victorinox Rambler) on my keys, and one in my pocket/belt.

I think the keychain tool is essential for two reasons:

1. It's nearly impossible to forget/misplace, and it's nearly always with me. I don't know how many times I've have a knife get knocked under a desk, dropped into a bucket, etc. and had to go dig around for it. I'm much better at keeping a hold of my keys. If I'm just taking the trash out or something, my keys are always with me. If I've already taken my other tool out of my pants for the day (or never moved it over if I got changed) I still have something with me that can handle light and quick duties. Likewise, if I have to rush out of the house in an emergency, my keys and my wallet are the first two things I grab.

2. There are a few very useful tools that are relatively common on keychain sized multitools, that don't show up as much on full size ones. Both Vic and Gerber like to put tweezers on their mini tools, but Gerber generally drops them on the full sized models, and Vic loses them on Alox. Files are likewise pretty standard across the SAK Classic variants, but not as common on large models regardless of company.

And honestly, you'd be surprised how much you can get done with them. A Classic SD was my only EDC blade/tool for nearly a decade, and it was pretty rare that I wished for something bigger. From time to time, I'd try swapping it off with Gerber or Leatherman's current keychain model, but I generally felt like the size jump wasn't worth it.

If I'm going to carry that much weight/bulk, I'd rather just keep the mini SAK (it's basically a freebie at that size) and add a full sized tool. Right now, that's most commonly a Cadet. While most of the people I work with know I carry a knife (and owe me a favor or two because of it) any kind of "open" carry would lead to too much negative attention to be worth it. The Cadet fits comfortably in the watch pocket of most of my pants, and is easy enough to find a place for in the ones that don't have one (usually back left.)

Off the clock, I alternate between a larger SAK (Fieldmaster has been getting a lot of pocket time lately) or some kind of multiplier. The extra tools are nice, and there are definitely days at work where I wish I could find a good way to carry something a bit bigger.

I don't feel like a dedicated knife is worth it for EDC at this point in my life. While I have a few nice fixed blades that come out for bushcraft, yardwork, etc. I can't remember the last time I was out and about and needed anything bigger than 3 inches. I grew up in the bad old days before blade locks were super common, and I've always felt comfortable enough with a simple slipjoint. I do miss OHO, but you can't have everything.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
I've swapped around a fair bit over the years, but I think I've finally come up with what works best for me. Two multitools, one (usually a Victorinox Rambler) on my keys, and one in my pocket/belt.

I think the keychain tool is essential for two reasons:

1. It's nearly impossible to forget/misplace, and it's nearly always with me. I don't know how many times I've have a knife get knocked under a desk, dropped into a bucket, etc. and had to go dig around for it. I'm much better at keeping a hold of my keys. If I'm just taking the trash out or something, my keys are always with me. If I've already taken my other tool out of my pants for the day (or never moved it over if I got changed) I still have something with me that can handle light and quick duties. Likewise, if I have to rush out of the house in an emergency, my keys and my wallet are the first two things I grab.

2. There are a few very useful tools that are relatively common on keychain sized multitools, that don't show up as much on full size ones. Both Vic and Gerber like to put tweezers on their mini tools, but Gerber generally drops them on the full sized models, and Vic loses them on Alox. Files are likewise pretty standard across the SAK Classic variants, but not as common on large models regardless of company.

And honestly, you'd be surprised how much you can get done with them. A Classic SD was my only EDC blade/tool for nearly a decade, and it was pretty rare that I wished for something bigger. From time to time, I'd try swapping it off with Gerber or Leatherman's current keychain model, but I generally felt like the size jump wasn't worth it.

If I'm going to carry that much weight/bulk, I'd rather just keep the mini SAK (it's basically a freebie at that size) and add a full sized tool. Right now, that's most commonly a Cadet. While most of the people I work with know I carry a knife (and owe me a favor or two because of it) any kind of "open" carry would lead to too much negative attention to be worth it. The Cadet fits comfortably in the watch pocket of most of my pants, and is easy enough to find a place for in the ones that don't have one (usually back left.)

Off the clock, I alternate between a larger SAK (Fieldmaster has been getting a lot of pocket time lately) or some kind of multiplier. The extra tools are nice, and there are definitely days at work where I wish I could find a good way to carry something a bit bigger.

I don't feel like a dedicated knife is worth it for EDC at this point in my life. While I have a few nice fixed blades that come out for bushcraft, yardwork, etc. I can't remember the last time I was out and about and needed anything bigger than 3 inches. I grew up in the bad old days before blade locks were super common, and I've always felt comfortable enough with a simple slipjoint. I do miss OHO, but you can't have everything.

You can add on an adjustable thumbstud to slipjoints to make them OHO, I did this last week with my Buck 110 and love it, tried it on my Boker Tech Tool 1 and it worked well there too  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
You can add on an adjustable thumbstud to slipjoints to make them OHO, I did this last week with my Buck 110 and love it, tried it on my Boker Tech Tool 1 and it worked well there too  :tu:

I'll have to take a look. Thanks!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
And honestly, you'd be surprised how much you can get done with them. A Classic SD was my only EDC blade/tool for nearly a decade, and it was pretty rare that I wished for something bigger.

Agreed!  :tu: Do not underestimate the usefulness of the Classic SD.

..and to repeat what I've said before:

The beauty of the Classic SD is that the cost-to-benefit ratio is unbeatable. So many useful tools in such a small, affordable package.

us Offline Farmer X

The Classic SD has a couple of other things working heavily in its favor. It's one of the least intimidating knives around, and the quality is superb. Also, what with all the different promotional, limited, and special models, they're great to collect! Why it took me 18 years to realize how brilliant it is (same goes for the other 58mm models) completely escapes me.
USN 2000-2006

au Offline Valkie

Both my car key rings have classics on them, they are about the size of a key and are useful.

But, Depending on what I'm doing I carry a different tool nearly every day.
When working with Marine Rescue, I carry the old Wingman, quick and easy with tools that are useful in many situations.
For hiking and camping, along comes the Hercules.
For working in the radio base, a simple alox or other simple tool suits, and fits in the pocket to be less conspicuous.
When I'm working at my handyman stuff I carry my Craftsman.
At Work my Wave is always on my belt.

Only when working can I legally carry a knife, so that's the only time I use a sheath/pouch.
When I'm out elsewhere the knives are in my pocket.

These knives are simply tools.
Very useful and helpful tools.

Id never use one of these knives for any form of self defense.
Being a black belt, knives this size are a joke at best.

If I was ever to use any knife in anger, it would have to be a fixed blade and probably one of my Karambit.
This is the knife I was trained in the use of and the one I'm most competent in.
Although, they are not a very forgiving weapon.
tools is what defines us as humans

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Today’s “experimental” edc…
(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May I suggest a new knife for you to carry along with a multitool

https://www.crkt.com/fossil-compact.html is a good size for EDC

The large one comes in a plain or combo edge version,

Or perhaps you can get the combo edge version, and join us for the Combo Edge Challenge next February.   ;)

* fossil.jpg (Filesize: 15.15 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD