Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Moving to the states, how to find work?

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Moving to the states, how to find work?
on: June 11, 2021, 04:49:04 PM
So I want to move to Texas next year, but I'm struggling with the visa part. As per the visa waiver program I can stay in the country for up to 90days at a time on an ESTA, but that's not really good enough and I don't think allows me to work.

After some looking into it getting a job with a company that would sponsor me seems to be the way to do it, but I'm struggling with finding somewhere that would employ someone that doesn't have the right to work in the US to begin with  :oops:

Any help will be greatly appreciated MTO!
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Moving to the states, how to find work?
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 07:53:30 PM
So I want to move to Texas next year, but I'm struggling with the visa part. As per the visa waiver program I can stay in the country for up to 90days at a time on an ESTA, but that's not really good enough and I don't think allows me to work.

After some looking into it getting a job with a company that would sponsor me seems to be the way to do it, but I'm struggling with finding somewhere that would employ someone that doesn't have the right to work in the US to begin with  :oops:

Any help will be greatly appreciated MTO!

Not to mention the language barrier...

:whistle:

Seriously, I hope you manage to get the situation sorted out. Have you looked online for any job offers? Maybe contact local government agencies, they might be of help.

Best of luck to you, bro!

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 01:04:57 AM
What kind of work are you looking for?

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 06:26:30 PM
Not to mention the language barrier...

:whistle:

Seriously, I hope you manage to get the situation sorted out. Have you looked online for any job offers? Maybe contact local government agencies, they might be of help.

Best of luck to you, bro!

Thanks!

I've looked online but it's pretty much just jobs for people in the states, so would need the right to work already. Plenty of relocation opportunities to Saudi Arabia though  :facepalm:

I'll try the givernment thing out thanks  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 06:27:37 PM
What kind of work are you looking for?

To be honest I'm not really fussy at this point I just need a visa that allows me to work. Skills wise I've been a retail supervisor previously but mostly I was a IT support engineer (1st through 3rd line)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 08:57:07 PM
To be honest I'm not really fussy at this point I just need a visa that allows me to work. Skills wise I've been a retail supervisor previously but mostly I was a IT support engineer (1st through 3rd line)

Did you ever work for a company who is awlso in the US and A? Like a branch or associated company? They might give you a reference to their american offices.

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:26:43 PM
Did you ever work for a company who is awlso in the US and A? Like a branch or associated company? They might give you a reference to their american offices.

:think: :think:

That's a good shout, I've worked for both the DTCC and Thomson Reuters previously and yanks were constantly coming over  :think:

Thanks!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 06:09:51 PM
That's a good shout, I've worked for both the DTCC and Thomson Reuters previously and yanks were constantly coming over  :think:

Thanks!

Maybe ask some friends if they, too, know/worked with/for american companies. It might get you an introduction/contact that can help you with all the necessary red tape and/or documentation.

Good luck, hope you manage to get what you're looking for!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 06:05:41 AM
I wish you well of course!

Just casual interest...but if you dont already have the H-1B or similar Visa, you dont have a job lined up, and aren't even solid on what type of work you are looking for, how did you arrive at a desire to move to Texas? No need to answer if you dont like, but that type of move is usually reserved for "followed a girl out there" or something like that.

In my experience, the H-1B type Visa is usually obtained when one works for a company that also has offices in the US (Greencore USA, for example, though they have pulled out) and the company wants to send you here. Once that happens, you may end up moving to another US company after your contract ends with your first company, but it's a tricky gamble between contracts and getting the new company to sponsor you and such.

I've heard a number of stories along the lines of "I've got to find another position soon so they can renew my H-1B or I've got to go back home" and so on.

Sometimes I think people are recruited out of university if they are graduates of a program, where we lack workers. Nursing was like that for a while.

Otherwise, people arrive here through various means and in various states of legality and may eventually obtain an actual green card (Resident Alien card), with which you may be authorized to work.. that's for a more permanent arrangement and is quite difficult. And if I am not wrong, people can get a work authorization even if they dont have a green card yet, but usually they are in process of getting some green card.

I dont know what you're lookin for but I hope that helps

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 06:21:35 AM
I wish you well of course!

Just casual interest...but if you dont already have the H-1B or similar Visa, you dont have a job lined up, and aren't even solid on what type of work you are looking for, how did you arrive at a desire to move to Texas? No need to answer if you dont like, but that type of move is usually reserved for "followed a girl out there" or something like that.

In my experience, the H-1B type Visa is usually obtained when one works for a company that also has offices in the US (Greencore USA, for example, though they have pulled out) and the company wants to send you here. Once that happens, you may end up moving to another US company after your contract ends with your first company, but it's a tricky gamble between contracts and getting the new company to sponsor you and such.

I've heard a number of stories along the lines of "I've got to find another position soon so they can renew my H-1B or I've got to go back home" and so on.

Sometimes I think people are recruited out of university if they are graduates of a program, where we lack workers. Nursing was like that for a while.

Otherwise, people arrive here through various means and in various states of legality and may eventually obtain an actual green card (Resident Alien card), with which you may be authorized to work.. that's for a more permanent arrangement and is quite difficult. And if I am not wrong, people can get a work authorization even if they dont have a green card yet, but usually they are in process of getting some green card.

I dont know what you're lookin for but I hope that helps

Valid question and I don't mind!

The missus is an american citizen and her immediate (and a large portion of her immediate family) are in the Houston area of Texas. We want to be closer to her family and further away from mine, whilst getting married the way we want instead of rushed and on paper just to get me a greencard.

It's a little frustrating as the vsat majority of my income is self generated and the move would just amount to me paying bills and taxes in a different country, but Visas are rough from the look of it especially if you're an non-university type like myself.

As it stands finding a company that would deal with the visa seems to be the most viable way to stay, I don't want to overrun my ESTA just in case I screw things up either.

And it was helpful thank you!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 06:04:37 AM
I dont mean to be crass - we are all family here - but, if you plan to get married anyway...

It's as if you dont want to jump through a hoop, so you are jumping through three instead. You are literally looking at the easiest allowed legal way of doing it, but choosing the most difficult option. When I worked in Chinatown, I was proposed to by many fathers and uncles of beautiful women, all coming with sizable "doweries" I might add. I always declined, personally, since I was already legally married. Of the Brasilian people in my circle, I know many who paid someone,  and others who only wish they had someone to marry. Since I've been divorced,  I've gotten some of those offers too, but those dowries were smaller, so, naw.

...And here you have a legitimate marriage case staring right at you. Go figure.

Good luck, though. I mean it. If you make it to the Boston area, give me a shout.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 04:06:42 PM
I caught a few episodes of 90 fiancé.  Some seemed like scenarios to get into the country while others seems legit.  Y'all want to get married anyway so  :pok:. K1 Visa might just be the way for you, path of least resistance tho nothing is easy even legitimate.  I wish you the best of luck. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 04:13:45 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 05:49:04 AM
Good luck with the process! If you are ever in the Philadelphia area, let me know.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD