Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Outrider and Locksmith merger

Offline Berndstein

Vic Outrider and Locksmith merger
on: June 12, 2021, 10:49:55 PM
Hi,

I've been a member of this forum for quite some time and have been benefitted greatly for some of my Leatherman tool mods.

Now I'm trying to mod two of my 111 mm Vics to become the perfect EDC knife for me.
My plan is to add the metal file/saw of the locksmith to my outrider, as well as replace the outrider blade with the locksmith one hand opening blade.
I'm also planning to blacken all the blades and spacers with Ferro Oxide. And I added a deep carry pocket clip to a scale.

Unfortunately, since this is my first attempt at modding a Vic, I damaged two of the 3 mm bushings.
Is there anyway to purchase them from somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

Greetings from Germany,

Bernd

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 5 mit Tapatalk

Offline ComboTool

Re: Vic Outrider and Locksmith merger
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 10:25:16 AM
That's a great project, the Ranger tool set in 111mm. Unfortunately I don't know how to get 3mm bushings alone. There is an ebay seller in Germany who sells 2.25 and 2.5 bushings (with brass pins), you may enquire if they have 3mm as well. It's also possible to find SAK spare parts on Aliexpress but I wouldn't know which search terms to use for this. One last possibility (short of destroying an additional SAK) would be to peen your mod without bushings and glue the scales. Good luck and please post pictures of the finished project.

Offline Berndstein

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 03:01:37 PM
Update: After acid etching and stonewashing.
For some reasons the Vic steele doesn't get as dark as the steel of, say, a Spyderco or Benchmade. Also, it doesn't really make much of a difference if you let it soak 15 minutes or 60 minutes.
Another important lesson: The layer spacers aren't made, as I assumed, from sheet metal but from Aluminum. That means they react quite violently when soaked in FeCl3. Wouldn't recommend it. I already ordered some 1mm G10 on Aliexpress to replace them with.

Offline Berndstein

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 03:04:15 PM
That's a great project, the Ranger tool set in 111mm. Unfortunately I don't know how to get 3mm bushings alone. There is an ebay seller in Germany who sells 2.25 and 2.5 bushings (with brass pins), you may enquire if they have 3mm as well. It's also possible to find SAK spare parts on Aliexpress but I wouldn't know which search terms to use for this. One last possibility (short of destroying an additional SAK) would be to peen your mod without bushings and glue the scales. Good luck and please post pictures of the finished project.
Thanks Combo Tool, I contacted a seller on Aliexpress who's selling the 2,5mm bushings. Hopefully he can also provide the 3mm ones.
If that doesn't work out, I ordered some M3 screws and nuts on Amazon. Maybe I can use them instead of the brass rods.
Do you have a ebay seller name from the German seller?

Offline ComboTool

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:07:39 AM
I'm not sure if you can name sellers here, but if you search for "2.25mm brass rivets" on ebay it should be on top of the listings.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 03:34:10 PM
I'm not sure if you can name sellers here, but if you search for "2.25mm brass rivets" on ebay it should be on top of the listings.

If it's not self promotion then it's absolutely fine.  :tu:

Great looking project Berndstein. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 03:36:11 PM
 :iagree:  Good luck with your project.     
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Berndstein

Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 06:17:53 PM
Update: Projekt finished. I'm gonna call it GAK-Champ

Had some serious concerns about side play, because of the brass rods as pivots and my concerns with the "peening"-process. But it turned out to be easier than expected. Zero side play.

For better optical matching, I've already ordered a new Clip in Titan stone washed finish.

Also, it's unmodded siblings as a bonus in separate pictures.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 06:33:41 PM by Berndstein »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69